Re: CBM 264 sells for $4750

  • David
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 13 9:38 AM
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "fieldfan1" <jburke293@...> wrote:
      > Just goes to show there's a lot more people with money than sense. What do you do with this? Seriously. It makes a lovely doorstop but that's all. At least if it was a production model Plus 4 you could find some other owners out there and maybe even write some software for it. Unless it's compatible with the Plus 4/16 then it wouldn't make any sense to bother writing a piece of software because you'd be the only one who could use it. If I knew someone who paid that kind of money the first thing I'd say to them is "Looks nice, but what can you do with it?" just so the reality of parting with all that cash hits them.

      Depends on whether you think you have to "do" something with it in order to be collectible. Radio and TV collectors are split into several factions (similar to, from what I hear, car collectors.) One group wants things in original form and doesn't care if it's pristine, they don't want to refinish them or replace any parts. Another group has fun tinkering with them. They like to make them work but might not care how they look. They have even been known to make "ugly" phaux-vintage constructions of their own design. A third type of collector wants everything to look pristine, but doesn't care if they work. And of course there are folks who want things to look and work like new (or what some call "over-restored," better than they ever were when new.)

      I just recently scored a first color TV (not first generation, actual first model color TV on the market) for the InfoAge Radio Technology Museum. I knew it will probably never work since an unobtanium part is bad, but even just as a display example it feels awfully nice to have one.

      We (the collecting community, not me personally) also have very, very old TVs that play only proprietary signals. Most folks don't even try to make them run, but some really dedicated souls have figured out a way to make "software" for them. More than a few proprietary, "one off" developmental sets exist in collections and some of those have even been made to work. Worth the effort if that's what you want to do.

      I wouldn't know how to make any of my retro computers work; I like them for what they are (although I wouldn't mind learning some day!)

      I realize that we're talking about somewhat different things here, but there are similarities so I thought I might offer a perspective.

      --Dave Sica