Re: OT: iPad

  • brian_cirulnick
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 13, 2010

      > Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > > Informal survey: anyone in MARCH care about the iPad? Why or why not?

      It's heavier than you think. Until Apple can make it a little slimmer/lighter without compromising battery life, it's a bit of a drag to carry around.

      My friend Sean pointed out that it's the size of a picture frame, so it should have come with a fold-out stand in the back so you can use it -- as typing on the keyboard one-handed while holding it upright it problematic. And we can't figure out how you're going to hold it in bed like you're reading a book...

      Personally I am not a consumer of digital media so I don't see a use for this device. I have more than enough in my life to keep me busy, so I don't spend my free time surfing the web, watching movies, yadda yadda. However, I agree that there is a market for this device, as there are plenty of dumbass teenagers who will use this thing as a mobile web-surfing TV (oh boy, more cats playing piano!).

      I'd rather have an iPhone that supported a bluetooth folding keyboard. Although I like the PDF capability of the iPad over the iPhone, I just don't see me lugging it everywhere as it's large and heavy (same reason I don't carry even a Netbook).

      I still prefer the Palm Pilot for taking quick notes, but the Palm is a dead platform and I probably won't be able to keep it going for much longer. The palm had severe limitations too (like 5k max notes), but the folding keyboard was good enough so I lived with it.

      I think I'd rather live with the tiny-screen, squinting at PDF's with the iPhone and actually carry it everywhere, than the gorgeous screen of an iPad I'd never carry anywhere.

      Chris thinks it's a game-changer. I think it's a fad. In 20 yrs, we'll be calling it a laserdisc. I prefered my iPad when it was named Newton.