Re: [midatlanticretro] load star,8 #1

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2005
      just my funky designation. Atari Format, Amiga Format,
      and Commodore Format I guess they were called. They
      were a little bigger then the typical American
      magazine, similar to currently available PC Format,
      Mac Format, and the monkey on my back, Linux Format.
      Just bought the latest - 16 bucks. Ouch. You can see
      sample covers of the early ones sometimes in Retro
      Gamer, also from the UK.
      --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      <billdeg@...> wrote:
      > Chris,
      > The Computer Gazette was another eMagazine. I never
      heard of -Formats,
      > sounds interesting.
      >

      > Bill
      >
      > At Tuesday, 8 November 2005, you wrote:
      >
      > >Dude, I am so into the old Commie-Atari-Amiga mags
      > >(though dont have any presently). The coolest ones
      > >were the -Formats. One had an article on upgrading
      > >C64 to 256k using some kind of weird bank
      switching.
      > >Not sure if I remember Loadstar, but, I think it
      was
      > >called the Gazette, could even be bought right at
      > >7-11s. Im fantasizing that one day Ill find a bunch
      of
      > >that stuph up on the net somewhere.
      > >--- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      > ><billdeg@...> wrote:
      > >> Commodore news:
      > >>
      > >> Loadstar collectors or veterans?
      > >> Loadstar was the great Commodore "electronic"
      > >magazine that
      > >> subscribers received monthly. Each "issue"
      > >contained a diskette
      > >> containing programs and articles. Loadstar would
      > >provide a second
      > >> diskette that subscribers could return postage
      paid
      > >with comments. I
      > >> have just for the first time got a copy of
      Loadstar
      > >issue #1...a very
      > >> historically important electronic magazine issue.

      > >This was a very
      > >> well written debut with lots of product reviews
      and
      > >utilities. The
      > >> sounds and interface were excellent. Very
      > >entertaining.
      > >>
      > >> Did anyone have a LoadStar subscription while it
      was
      > >active? I have
      > >> an incomplete set of the issue disks, collected
      in
      > >dribs and drabs
      > >> over the past 4 years or so.
      > >>
      > >> ---
      > >>
      > >> B128 experimentation
      > >> This week I was able to get a B128 to play tones
      > >through the audio
      > >> out jack on the back of the computer. The B128
      in
      > >theory has a
      > >> better sound feature musical output. Most titles
      > >are business
      > >> programs and file utilities. Just figuring out
      how
      > >to save a program
      > >> has been a challenge. B128's are not user
      friendly
      > >beasts and the
      > >> monitor is monocrome 25x80 col. I have been
      saving

      -----------------
      > ---~-->
      > >Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups.
      Make Yahoo! your

      --------------------~-->
      Yahoo! your home page

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM

      __________________________________
      http://farechase.yahoo.com
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 9, 2005
        everyone should keep an eye out for the Format
        magazines. And zounds if only we could get the disks
        or cds that came with then. The bitter reality is some
        of the coolest pd stuff for the Commie and all came
        from the other side of the pond.
        <jscheef@...> wrote:
        > This is the kind of stuff that would help build a
        research library for the
        > museum.
        >
        > Jim
        >
        > --- Ray Sills <raysills@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Bill:
        > >
        > > I subscribed to Loadstar for a number of years.. I
        really don't know
        > > how many disks I have from them. But, I do know
        that I did not start
        > > at the beginning, so you must really have a
        "collector's" item in

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs