OT: iPad

    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 12, 2010
      Informal survey: anyone in MARCH care about the iPad? Why or why not?
    • Jeffrey Frady
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 12, 2010
        JooJoo?

        --
        See you space cowboy...
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 12, 2010
          Bob Applegate wrote:
          >> Informal survey: anyone in MARCH care about the iPad? Why or why
          >> not?
          >
          > Yes, because I write Mac/iPhone apps for fun :)
          >
          > Do I own one? No, for several reasons. First is that I like my
          > iPhone being small enough to fit into my shirt pocket. The iPad is
          > very cool, but the large increase in size doesn't appear to add any
          > new capabilities that I care about. Currently there is no killer app
          > that makes it a must-have item for me.

          And it sounds like a pantyliner.

          Peace... Sridhar
        • Ray Sills
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 12, 2010
            Well.... Apple sure sold a bunch of them. 300,000 on the day of
            release, I saw somewhere.

            Quite by accident, I happened to see one at a meeting held in my local
            community association building. The meeting was Verizon people
            touting their FiOS service, and one of the reps just happened to have
            one. It is neat.. and I'm sure it will be popular. It's an
            interesting alternative to a netbook. And when the 3G version becomes
            available, it could be a viable alternative for some people who do not
            have Wi-Fi access.

            I happen to have an iPod Touch... which is pretty much a phone-less
            iPhone.. and it is very handy. Mainly because (as Bob Applegate
            mentioned) it fits easily in a shirt pocket.

            73 de Ray

            On Apr 12, 2010, at 12:40 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

            > Informal survey: anyone in MARCH care about the iPad? Why or why not?

          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 12, 2010
              Yes..

              Why?

              Because it's a game changer. It will really change things. I know people are dogging on this thing, but seriously I see it as a game changer. Right now you can see people watching videos and such on their IPods, and that was on a tiny screen.

              I foresee people on buses and trains carrying these during their commute watching videos, reading books, papers, browsing the web. etc.

              No more tiny screen, now you have something nice sized where you can watch videos, check maps, read books, pdfs, get reservations, order take out, reserve a car, file a complaint.. There will be hundreds of apps to do almost anything. See all the apps Apple has now.. Well, there will be more.

              This is only the beginning as other companies wanting part of that pie come out with products that will offer new features.

              Does anyone remember 2001 a space odyssey?
              http://www.cleverdonkey.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/2001-a-space-odyssey-ipad.jpg

            • Bob Applegate
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 12, 2010
                Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote :

                > Informal survey: anyone in MARCH care about the iPad? Why or why not?

                Yes, because I write Mac/iPhone apps for fun :)

                Do I own one? No, for several reasons. First is that I like my iPhone being small enough to fit into my shirt pocket. The iPad is very cool, but the large increase in size doesn't appear to add any new capabilities that I care about. Currently there is no killer app that makes it a must-have item for me.

                ___________________________________
                NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 12, 2010
                  Christian Liendo wrote:
                  > Yes..
                  >
                  > Why?
                  <SNIP>

                  Call me a luddite, but I think I'll stick with my DROID and my laptop.
                  I don't need something in between.

                  Peace... Sridhar
                • Christian Liendo
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 12, 2010
                    I have a netbook. I hate it.

                    Why?
                    screen/keyboard too small, unit too big.
                    The IPad is much nicer, it's more money but it's more useful. I hardly carry my netbook anymore. I don't have an IPad, but I would at least use it if I had it.

                    Give a few years as other companies have not come out with theirs, but seriously the IPad will be significant. In 20yrs we will be talking about it.

                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 12, 2010
                      Christian Liendo wrote:
                      > I have a netbook. I hate it.
                      >
                      > Why?
                      > screen/keyboard too small, unit too big.
                      > The IPad is much nicer, it's more money but it's more useful. I hardly
                      > carry my netbook anymore. I don't have an IPad, but I would at least use
                      > it if I had it.

                      I wasn't talking about a netbook either. I have a full-size
                      desktop-replacement notebook, and a Motorola DROID. I don't really need
                      anything in between.

                      Peace... Sridhar
                    • Christian Liendo
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 12, 2010
                        You need something that stops sending duplicate e-mails. ;)

                      • Sridhar Ayengar
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 12, 2010
                          Christian Liendo wrote:
                          > You need something that stops sending duplicate e-mails. ;)

                          I'm not sending duplicates. I'm replying to all. Upgrade your mail
                          client. 8-)

                          Peace... Sridhar
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 12, 2010
                            >> You need something that stops sending duplicate e-mails. ;)
                            >>
                            > I'm not sending duplicates. I'm replying to all.

                            You shouldn't be replying to all. A regular "reply" goes to the whole list.
                          • Sridhar Ayengar
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 12, 2010
                              Evan Koblentz wrote:
                              >>> You need something that stops sending duplicate e-mails. ;)
                              >>>
                              >> I'm not sending duplicates. I'm replying to all.
                              >
                              > You shouldn't be replying to all. A regular "reply" goes to the whole list.

                              And doesn't get copied to the original poster. There are disadvantages.

                              Peace... Sridhar
                            • Bill Dromgoole
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 12, 2010
                                Whenever I send a message to the group I receive a copy in my inbox just like
                                everyone else.

                                billdrom

                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 12, 2010
                                  Bill Dromgoole wrote:
                                  > Whenever I send a message to the group I receive a copy in my inbox just like
                                  > everyone else.

                                  So do I.

                                  Peace... Sridhar
                                • Christian Liendo
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 12, 2010
                                    I'm using yahoo web and I keep getting two e-mails from you.
                                    I have a MARCH folder and they both go in there.
                                    If you were the double mint girls I wouldn't mind, but, well you are not.
                                    ( ^_^)

                                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 12, 2010
                                      Christian Liendo wrote:
                                      > I'm using yahoo web and I keep getting two e-mails from you.
                                      > I have a MARCH folder and they both go in there.
                                      > If you were the double mint girls I wouldn't mind, but, well you are not.
                                      > ( ^_^)

                                      Hey, I already stopped reply-all'ing. Anyway, there have been email
                                      clients that DTRT for at least 20 years. At some point, it just becomes
                                      a little silly.

                                      Peace... Sridhar
                                    • madodel
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 12, 2010
                                        Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                        > Informal survey: anyone in MARCH care about the iPad? Why or why not?

                                        Just bought one on Saturday. Beautiful screen, but the Apple mail app
                                        sucks (no folders for POP accounts and no filters) and you can't multitask
                                        on it, yet. But I'm happy for web browsing anywhere there is WiFi. And did
                                        I mention the gorgeous screen?

                                        Mark
                                      • brian_cirulnick
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Apr 13, 2010

                                          > Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                          > > Informal survey: anyone in MARCH care about the iPad? Why or why not?

                                          It's heavier than you think. Until Apple can make it a little slimmer/lighter without compromising battery life, it's a bit of a drag to carry around.

                                          My friend Sean pointed out that it's the size of a picture frame, so it should have come with a fold-out stand in the back so you can use it -- as typing on the keyboard one-handed while holding it upright it problematic. And we can't figure out how you're going to hold it in bed like you're reading a book...

                                          Personally I am not a consumer of digital media so I don't see a use for this device. I have more than enough in my life to keep me busy, so I don't spend my free time surfing the web, watching movies, yadda yadda. However, I agree that there is a market for this device, as there are plenty of dumbass teenagers who will use this thing as a mobile web-surfing TV (oh boy, more cats playing piano!).

                                          I'd rather have an iPhone that supported a bluetooth folding keyboard. Although I like the PDF capability of the iPad over the iPhone, I just don't see me lugging it everywhere as it's large and heavy (same reason I don't carry even a Netbook).

                                          I still prefer the Palm Pilot for taking quick notes, but the Palm is a dead platform and I probably won't be able to keep it going for much longer. The palm had severe limitations too (like 5k max notes), but the folding keyboard was good enough so I lived with it.

                                          I think I'd rather live with the tiny-screen, squinting at PDF's with the iPhone and actually carry it everywhere, than the gorgeous screen of an iPad I'd never carry anywhere.

                                          Chris thinks it's a game-changer. I think it's a fad. In 20 yrs, we'll be calling it a laserdisc. I prefered my iPad when it was named Newton.