Re: [midatlanticretro] load star,8 #1

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2005
      Dude, I am so into the old Commie-Atari-Amiga mags
      (though dont have any presently). The coolest ones
      were the -Formats. One had an article on upgrading a
      C64 to 256k using some kind of weird bank switching.
      Not sure if I remember Loadstar, but, I think it was
      called the Gazette, could even be bought right at
      7-11s. Im fantasizing that one day Ill find a bunch of
      that stuph up on the net somewhere.
      --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      <billdeg@...> wrote:
      > Commodore news:
      >
      > Loadstar collectors or veterans?
      > Loadstar was the great Commodore "electronic"
      magazine that
      > subscribers received monthly. Each "issue"
      contained a diskette
      > containing programs and articles. Loadstar would
      provide a second
      > diskette that subscribers could return postage paid
      with comments. I
      > have just for the first time got a copy of Loadstar
      issue #1...a very
      > historically important electronic magazine issue.
      This was a very
      > well written debut with lots of product reviews and
      utilities. The
      > sounds and interface were excellent. Very
      entertaining.

      > Did anyone have a LoadStar subscription while it was
      active? I have
      > an incomplete set of the issue disks, collected in
      dribs and drabs
      > over the past 4 years or so.
      >
      > ---
      >
      > B128 experimentation
      > This week I was able to get a B128 to play tones
      through the audio
      > out jack on the back of the computer. The B128 in
      theory has a
      > better sound feature musical output. Most titles
      are business
      > programs and file utilities. Just figuring out how
      to save a program
      > has been a challenge. B128's are not user friendly
      beasts and the
      > monitor is monocrome 25x80 col. I have been saving
      programs to
      > tempermental 8050 drive and a sfd-1001.
      >

      > Bill D

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Degnan
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2005
        Chris,
        The Computer Gazette was another eMagazine. I never heard of -Formats,
        sounds interesting.

        Bill

        -- E N D --
      • Chris M
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2005
          just my funky designation. Atari Format, Amiga Format,
          and Commodore Format I guess they were called. They
          were a little bigger then the typical American
          magazine, similar to currently available PC Format,
          Mac Format, and the monkey on my back, Linux Format.
          Just bought the latest - 16 bucks. Ouch. You can see
          sample covers of the early ones sometimes in Retro
          Gamer, also from the UK.

          -----------------
          > ---~-->
          > >Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups.
          Make Yahoo! your

          --------------------~-->
          Yahoo! your home page

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM

          __________________________________
          http://farechase.yahoo.com
        • Chris M
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 9, 2005
            everyone should keep an eye out for the Format
            magazines. And zounds if only we could get the disks
            or cds that came with then. The bitter reality is some
            of the coolest pd stuff for the Commie and all came
            from the other side of the pond.
            <jscheef@...> wrote:
            > This is the kind of stuff that would help build a
            research library for the
            > museum.
            >
            > Jim
            >
            > --- Ray Sills <raysills@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi Bill:
            > >
            > > I subscribed to Loadstar for a number of years.. I
            really don't know
            > > how many disks I have from them. But, I do know
            that I did not start
            > > at the beginning, so you must really have a
            "collector's" item in

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs