CBM 264 sells for $4750

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 11, 2010
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 11, 2010
        On Sun, 11 Apr 2010, B Degnan wrote:

        > CBM 264 sells for $4750
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160420469681&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

        I didn't think you had that much in your toy fund, Bill. :-)
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 11, 2010
          Mike Loewen wrote:
          On Sun, 11 Apr 2010, B Degnan wrote:

          CBM 264 sells for $4750
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160420469681&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

              I didn't think you had that much in your toy fund, Bill.  :-)

          I don't!  What would you do with it?
          Bill
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 11, 2010
            personally I would not, at least not as an investment. I can't see how 100
            years from now someone would still pay the inflation-equivalent price just
            paid today. That's the difference between historical and collectible -
            only the "historic" will hold their value 100 years from now.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 11, 2010
              Bill D,

              Wow ! That's crazy ! But it makes sense since it is a prototype. Only half the price of the Commodore 65 ! I wonder who has the money to buy this stuff for that price ?  Must be some serious collectors ?

              Jeff B

                Just goes to show there's a lot more people with money than sense. What do you do with this? Seriously. It makes a lovely doorstop but that's all. At least if it was a production model Plus 4 you could find some other owners out there and maybe even write some software for it. Unless it's compatible with the Plus 4/16 then it wouldn't make any sense to bother writing a piece of software because you'd be the only one who could use it. If I knew someone who paid that kind of money the first thing I'd say to them is "Looks nice, but what can you do with it?" just so the reality of parting with all that cash hits them.

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 12, 2010
                  exactly how I feel.

                  > Just goes to show there's a lot more people with money than sense. What
                  do you do with this? Seriously. It makes a lovely doorstop but that's all.
                  At least if it was a production model Plus 4 you could find some other
                  owners out there and maybe even write some software for it. Unless it's
                  compatible with the Plus 4/16 then it wouldn't make any sense to bother
                  writing a piece of software because you'd be the only one who could use it.
                  If I knew someone who paid that kind of money the first thing I'd say to
                  them is "Looks nice, but what can you do with it?" just so the reality of
                  parting with all that cash hits them.

                  > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > CBM 264 sells for $4750

                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160420469681&ssPageName=A
                  DME:B:WNA:US:1123

                • David
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 13, 2010
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "fieldfan1" <jburke293@...> wrote:
                    > Just goes to show there's a lot more people with money than sense. What do you do with this? Seriously. It makes a lovely doorstop but that's all. At least if it was a production model Plus 4 you could find some other owners out there and maybe even write some software for it. Unless it's compatible with the Plus 4/16 then it wouldn't make any sense to bother writing a piece of software because you'd be the only one who could use it. If I knew someone who paid that kind of money the first thing I'd say to them is "Looks nice, but what can you do with it?" just so the reality of parting with all that cash hits them.

                    Depends on whether you think you have to "do" something with it in order to be collectible. Radio and TV collectors are split into several factions (similar to, from what I hear, car collectors.) One group wants things in original form and doesn't care if it's pristine, they don't want to refinish them or replace any parts. Another group has fun tinkering with them. They like to make them work but might not care how they look. They have even been known to make "ugly" phaux-vintage constructions of their own design. A third type of collector wants everything to look pristine, but doesn't care if they work. And of course there are folks who want things to look and work like new (or what some call "over-restored," better than they ever were when new.)

                    I just recently scored a first color TV (not first generation, actual first model color TV on the market) for the InfoAge Radio Technology Museum. I knew it will probably never work since an unobtanium part is bad, but even just as a display example it feels awfully nice to have one.

                    We (the collecting community, not me personally) also have very, very old TVs that play only proprietary signals. Most folks don't even try to make them run, but some really dedicated souls have figured out a way to make "software" for them. More than a few proprietary, "one off" developmental sets exist in collections and some of those have even been made to work. Worth the effort if that's what you want to do.

                    I wouldn't know how to make any of my retro computers work; I like them for what they are (although I wouldn't mind learning some day!)

                    I realize that we're talking about somewhat different things here, but there are similarities so I thought I might offer a perspective.

                    --Dave Sica