Fwd: You are invited: InfoAge celebrates TIROS anniversary Sunday, April 11th 2:01PM under the dish -

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2010
      See below -- from Fred to all friends-of-InfoAge:

      Hello Everyone,

      You are invited to join us under the giant TIROS dish on Marconi Road
      to celebrate this historic anniversary.

      TIME: Sunday, April 11th at 2:01 PM
      WHERE: Under the dish on Marconi Road, just east of the intersection of
      Marconi Road and Monmouth Bl. (inside the TIROS building if it rains)

      You can see the progress on the TIROS Ground Control Center Building.
      Visit the nearby Diana dish satellite tracking building used to track
      Sputnik and every American and Soviet launch including the Pioneer deep
      space probes.
      Marvel at the immense TIROS dish. It is an artifact of a giant leap in
      meteorology and of the birth of satellite based hurricane tracking.
      Learn a little of the history as we sign the National Historic Landmark
      (NHL) Application. A requirement for a NHL is the site must be 50 years
      old. As of April 1st and 10th it is.
      Enjoy some TIROS cake and refreshments with fellow InfoAge volunteers
      and donors who helped save the dish and the site.

      This site and the dish exists thanks to:

      InfoAge Volunteers:
      - who prepared the applications to give the site historic protections
      and have it transfered to Wall Township ownership,
      - cleared the site of years of overgrowth from neglect. The ten foot
      high security fence was covered with vines,
      - prepared and painted the two control center buildings,
      - repaired the damage and undid renovations to the TIROS control center
      building to bring the interior back to its 1960s look (hundreds of hours
      of work),
      - raised funds for new HVAC in the TIROS building and
      - members of OMARC who performed regular grounds maintenance on the site,

      Eagle Scouts:
      - Josh Foxton who replaced the entrance gate guard hut.
      - Albert Lewis who repaired the TIROS utility shed

      Monmouth County Historical Commission:
      - A matching grant enabled InfoAge to replace the roof of the TIROS
      building.

      Harris Corporation:
      - whose gift of $15,000 enabled the repainting of the dish to preserve
      it from the elements for future generations.

      NASA:
      - whose $3,000 grant will enable InfoAge to purchase the equipment to
      become part of the NASA educational network. Visits School groups will
      be able to talk with astronauts orbiting in the Space Shuttle during
      NASA educational events.

      To see photo and the history of TIROS satellite and the TIROS ground
      control center visit -
      http://www.infoage.org/html/tiros1-2.html

      To see a recent article on TIROS in the Star Ledger visit this URL -
      http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/04/tiros_first_satellite_to_take.html

      I hope you can join our event.

      Thank you,
      Fred
      732 299-0894
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 11, 2010
        > See below -- from Fred to all friends-of-InfoAge:

        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > You are invited to join us under the giant TIROS dish on Marconi Road
        > to celebrate this historic anniversary.

        Myself, Jeff B., and Nick Lordi represented MARCH at the ceremony
        today. Frank O. is InfoAge's NASA/TIROS expert, and so he gave a
        speech. Very interesting stuff.

        A plug for Frank: his book on the Apollo Guidance Computer will be
        available soon! http://www.apolloguidancecomputer.com