Fwd: You are invited: InfoAge celebrates TIROS anniversary Sunday, April 11th 2:01PM under the dish -
- See below -- from Fred to all friends-of-InfoAge:
You are invited to join us under the giant TIROS dish on Marconi Road
to celebrate this historic anniversary.
TIME: Sunday, April 11th at 2:01 PM
WHERE: Under the dish on Marconi Road, just east of the intersection of
Marconi Road and Monmouth Bl. (inside the TIROS building if it rains)
You can see the progress on the TIROS Ground Control Center Building.
Visit the nearby Diana dish satellite tracking building used to track
Sputnik and every American and Soviet launch including the Pioneer deep
Marvel at the immense TIROS dish. It is an artifact of a giant leap in
meteorology and of the birth of satellite based hurricane tracking.
Learn a little of the history as we sign the National Historic Landmark
(NHL) Application. A requirement for a NHL is the site must be 50 years
old. As of April 1st and 10th it is.
Enjoy some TIROS cake and refreshments with fellow InfoAge volunteers
and donors who helped save the dish and the site.
This site and the dish exists thanks to:
- who prepared the applications to give the site historic protections
and have it transfered to Wall Township ownership,
- cleared the site of years of overgrowth from neglect. The ten foot
high security fence was covered with vines,
- prepared and painted the two control center buildings,
- repaired the damage and undid renovations to the TIROS control center
building to bring the interior back to its 1960s look (hundreds of hours
- raised funds for new HVAC in the TIROS building and
- members of OMARC who performed regular grounds maintenance on the site,
- Josh Foxton who replaced the entrance gate guard hut.
- Albert Lewis who repaired the TIROS utility shed
Monmouth County Historical Commission:
- A matching grant enabled InfoAge to replace the roof of the TIROS
- whose gift of $15,000 enabled the repainting of the dish to preserve
it from the elements for future generations.
- whose $3,000 grant will enable InfoAge to purchase the equipment to
become part of the NASA educational network. Visits School groups will
be able to talk with astronauts orbiting in the Space Shuttle during
NASA educational events.
To see photo and the history of TIROS satellite and the TIROS ground
control center visit -
To see a recent article on TIROS in the Star Ledger visit this URL -
I hope you can join our event.
> See below -- from Fred to all friends-of-InfoAge:Myself, Jeff B., and Nick Lordi represented MARCH at the ceremony
> Hello Everyone,
> You are invited to join us under the giant TIROS dish on Marconi Road
> to celebrate this historic anniversary.
today. Frank O. is InfoAge's NASA/TIROS expert, and so he gave a
speech. Very interesting stuff.
A plug for Frank: his book on the Apollo Guidance Computer will be
available soon! http://www.apolloguidancecomputer.com