load "star",8 #1

  • billdeg
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 8, 2005
      Commodore news:

      Loadstar collectors or veterans?
      Loadstar was the great Commodore "electronic" magazine that
      subscribers received monthly. Each "issue" contained a diskette
      containing programs and articles. Loadstar would provide a second
      diskette that subscribers could return postage paid with comments. I
      have just for the first time got a copy of Loadstar issue #1...a very
      historically important electronic magazine issue. This was a very
      well written debut with lots of product reviews and utilities. The
      sounds and interface were excellent. Very entertaining.

      Did anyone have a LoadStar subscription while it was active? I have
      an incomplete set of the issue disks, collected in dribs and drabs
      over the past 4 years or so.

      ---

      B128 experimentation
      This week I was able to get a B128 to play tones through the audio
      out jack on the back of the computer. The B128 in theory has a
      better sound feature musical output. Most titles are business
      programs and file utilities. Just figuring out how to save a program
      has been a challenge. B128's are not user friendly beasts and the
      monitor is monocrome 25x80 col. I have been saving programs to
      tempermental 8050 drive and a sfd-1001.

      Bill D
    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 8, 2005
        Hi Bill:

        I subscribed to Loadstar for a number of years.. I really don't know
        how many disks I have from them. But, I do know that I did not start
        at the beginning, so you must really have a "collector's" item in
        that #1! They did a nice job with their diskette publication.

        73 de Ray

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2005
          This is the kind of stuff that would help build a research library for the
          museum.

          Jim

          --- Ray Sills <raysills@...> wrote:

          > Hi Bill:
          >
          > I subscribed to Loadstar for a number of years.. I really don't know
          > how many disks I have from them. But, I do know that I did not start
          > at the beginning, so you must really have a "collector's" item in
          > that #1! They did a nice job with their diskette publication.
          >
          > 73 de Ray
          >
          > On Nov 8, 2005, at 9:09 PM, billdeg wrote:
          >
          > > Commodore news:
          > >
          > > Loadstar collectors or veterans?
          > > Loadstar was the great Commodore "electronic" magazine that
          > > subscribers received monthly. Each "issue" contained a diskette
          > > containing programs and articles. Loadstar would provide a second
          > > diskette that subscribers could return postage paid with comments. I
          > > have just for the first time got a copy of Loadstar issue #1...a very
          > > historically important electronic magazine issue. This was a very
          > > well written debut with lots of product reviews and utilities. The
          > > sounds and interface were excellent. Very entertaining.
          > >
          > > Did anyone have a LoadStar subscription while it was active? I have
          > > an incomplete set of the issue disks, collected in dribs and drabs
          > > over the past 4 years or so.
          > >
          > > ---

        • Ray Sills
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 10, 2005
            Hi Jim:

            I'm going to wade my way through the various disks and magazines that
            are currently stored in the basement.
            My thought is that they -would- a good thing to have as part of a
            museum library. I'll try to catalog them and see exactly what I have.

            I was a long time subscriber to Compute and Compute Gazette, along
            with other mags. I know I used to have a bunch of Radio Shack Color
            Computer related magazines, but they were thrown away after they got
            soaked in an unfortunate minor basement flood. (I should have put
            them up on a shelf, rather than leaving them in a box on the
            floor!) : {

            I also have some magazines for Timex-Sinclair machines (Sync, etc)

            73 de Ray

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 10, 2005
              Ray,

              I have a complete (or very nearly complete) set of BYTE Magazine that I plan
              to donate to the museum. Several years ago I gave a bunch of old computer
              magazines to the local public library. Who knew we'd have a museum!?

              I also have a lot of early computer magazines on micro-fiche (sp?) along with
              a reader that I plan to donate - provided they are not damaged from storage
              in the attic.

              Jim