[off topic] Opening a new computer repair shop

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 9, 2010
      I have decided to open a computer repair shop in Wilmington.

      Is anyone here in the business that could help point me in the right
      direction for "best" diagnostics system? I also need a source for adapters
      to read laptop hard drives and MAC's in addition to the normal stuff.

      Please contact me directly if you can help.

      Thanks

      Bill
    • evan@snarc.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 9, 2010
        You've got to call it, "Binary Bill's" or the more historic "Byte Shop" ... I can't imagine the California trademark matters to Delawarians.

        And I expect to see lots of display cases evoking local computer history!

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 9, 2010
          I hope to make it a fun place. This is something I have wanted to do for a
          long time. I like the idea "Byte Shop" is awesome. I have a Byt-4
          computer that I can display too.

          The reason I was asking about diagnotistic software, it seems to be getting
          cheaper all of the time. This used to be very expensive, but I found a
          pretty cheap kit here that seems pretty good:
          http://www.pc-diagnostics.com/data_recovery_software/pc_diagnostics_master_i
          t_kit.shtml

          Bill

        • evan@snarc.net
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 9, 2010
            Problem is, few consumers these days know what "byte" means.

            Degnan's Digital Den?

            Other idea: have kid's hacking classes, like a modern-day version of Claude's RESISTORS, but without the marijauna.

            I hope to make it a fun place. This is something I have wanted to do for a
            long time. I like the idea "Byte Shop" is awesome. I have a Byt-4
            computer that I can display too.

            The reason I was asking about diagnotistic software, it seems to be getting
            cheaper all of the time. This used to be very expensive, but I found a
            pretty cheap kit here that seems pretty good:
            http://www.pc-diagnostics.com/data_recovery_software/pc_diagnostics_master_i
            t_kit.shtml

            Bill

            > You've got to call it, "Binary Bill's" or the more historic "Byte Shop"
            ... I can't imagine the California trademark matters to Delawarians.

            > And I expect to see lots of display cases evoking local computer
            history!

          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 9, 2010
              I was actually thinking of the People's Computer Company too.

            • evan@snarc.net
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 9, 2010
                Perfect. "Community Memory" would be too vague.

                Of course, folks may start calling you Mr. Peoples .... and then me and Sridhar will joke, "Heh, heh ... he said, 'Peep Holes'..."

                I was actually thinking of the People's Computer Company too.

                > Problem is, few consumers these days know what "byte" means.
                >
                > Degnan's Digital Den?
                >
                > Other idea: have kid's hacking classes, like a modern-day version of
                Claude's RESISTORS, but without the marijauna.

              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 9, 2010
                  Thats cool

                  Good luck with that. I wanted to do the same like, er hmm 11yrs ago.
                  I was going to rent out a small space in the Essex St Market and do it with my step-father. I was a field service tech for years and I had all the certs so I figured I could do this. Problem was the vendors and getting parts.

                  I don't know if it is this way now, but back then if you wanted to be an "authorized" service center you also had to sell the machines. So if you wanted to do warranty work on Apples, you had to sell Apples, HP and whatever. Also you had to have a certain number of parts in stock.

                  Also you had to certify your techs. They had to at least be A+ before they could go on and do vendor certification.

                  This is why you saw so many beige box places open all over.

                  Anyway, I was going to also sell cables and items that people need now at a small markup. Nothing big ticket, but small stuff that brings people in.

                  Anyway, good luck with that. Seriously. It would be nice to see a computer fix it shop again.
                • Christian Liendo
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 9, 2010
                    You know what also may help is if you do computer customization. You know with the LED lights and the light up fans and stuff.

                    Do one offs, where you... Fit a PC into a Nintendo case or something like that.
                  • Bill Degnan
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 9, 2010
                      the "Byte Shop" would only be an unofficial name, or whatever I call it.
                      The invoices would come from Degnan Co, (degnanco.net)...I would just add
                      this as a new service.

                      There is no one in downtown Wilmington who fixes computers, and there are
                      plenty of people who work here every day. But I plan to go after the older
                      American market too.

                      If anyone is interested in working the shop some time, let me know.

                      And yes I will sell and service the old stuff!

                      Bill

                      > Good luck with that. I wanted to do the same like, er hmm 11yrs ago.
                      > I was going to rent out a small space in the Essex St Market and do it
                      with my step-father. I was a field service tech for years and I had all the
                      certs so I figured I could do this. Problem was the vendors and getting
                      parts.

                      > I don't know if it is this way now, but back then if you wanted to be an
                      "authorized" service center you also had to sell the machines. So if you
                      wanted to do warranty work on Apples, you had to sell Apples, HP and
                      whatever. Also you had to have a certain number of parts in stock.

                      > Also you had to certify your techs. They had to at least be A+ before
                      they could go on and do vendor certification.

                      > This is why you saw so many beige box places open all over.
                      >
                      > Anyway, I was going to also sell cables and items that people need now at
                      a small markup. Nothing big ticket, but small stuff that brings people in.

                      > Anyway, good luck with that. Seriously. It would be nice to see a
                      computer fix it shop again.

                    • Christian Liendo
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 9, 2010
                        How about.

                        Bill's Big Binary Computer Emporium and Museum.

                        BTW: You also need classic 80s arcade games, because people need things to do while they wait. Why not feed arcade machines?
                      • Mike Loewen
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 9, 2010
                          On Fri, 9 Apr 2010, Christian Liendo wrote:

                          > BTW: You also need classic 80s arcade games, because people need things
                          > to do while they wait. Why not feed arcade machines?

                          You've obviously never been to his office... :-)

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        • Bill Degnan
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 9, 2010
                            sometimes I get actual work done around here! But mostly not.

                            > On Fri, 9 Apr 2010, Christian Liendo wrote:
                            >
                            > > BTW: You also need classic 80s arcade games, because people need things

                            > > to do while they wait. Why not feed arcade machines?
                            >
                            > You've obviously never been to his office... :-)
                            >

                            > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                          • Sridhar Ayengar
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 9, 2010
                              Bill Degnan wrote:
                              > the "Byte Shop" would only be an unofficial name, or whatever I call it.
                              > The invoices would come from Degnan Co, (degnanco.net)...I would just add
                              > this as a new service.
                              >
                              > There is no one in downtown Wilmington who fixes computers, and there are
                              > plenty of people who work here every day. But I plan to go after the older
                              > American market too.
                              >
                              > If anyone is interested in working the shop some time, let me know.
                              >
                              > And yes I will sell and service the old stuff!

                              One thing I learned very quickly is that you get a lot more business if
                              you're willing to make house calls.

                              Peace... Sridhar
                            • Christian Liendo
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 9, 2010
                                With business service contracts? Yes..
                                With consumers? No..

                                My old company that I worked for did "pre-paid" hours.. It was great for small businesses that would buy a block of hours at a discount.

                                I remember a small unknown television show that was being filmed in the PBS Channel 13 building in Manhattan. I saw the pilot and said to myself, this show will never fly. But the people were nice and so I liked going there. But I was wrong, "The Daily Show" ended up doing rather well.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 9, 2010
                                  Christian Liendo wrote:
                                  > With business service contracts? Yes..
                                  > With consumers? No..

                                  I used to do both. Want to come to me? Fine. Want me to come to you?
                                  Also fine.

                                  I charge for the time it takes me to get over to you though.

                                  Peace... Sridhar
                                • Bill Degnan
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 9, 2010
                                    I have a lot of existing business customers who are always asking me for a
                                    reference for a tech support person/company. I will hopefully be able to
                                    hire back an ex employee to do the in-house calls. Otherwise I will want
                                    to hire someone. I have a job board already set up for the work, the
                                    employee would just have to watch for the project, and address. He/she
                                    then records the work using a phone pc, takes credit card using the cell
                                    phone, boom, next... This is my last reply on the subject, thank you for
                                    indulging my questions.
                                    bd

                                    > My old company that I worked for did "pre-paid" hours.. It was great for
                                    small businesses that would buy a block of hours at a discount.

                                    > I remember a small unknown television show that was being filmed in the
                                    PBS Channel 13 building in Manhattan. I saw the pilot and said to myself,
                                    this show will never fly. But the people were nice and so I liked going
                                    there. But I was wrong, "The Daily Show" ended up doing rather well.

                                    > --- On Fri, 4/9/10, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:
                                    > One thing I learned very quickly is that you get a lot more business if
                                    > you're willing to make house calls.
                                    > Peace... Sridhar

                                  • John S
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 9, 2010
                                      Shoot me a PM on VCF if you're willing to hire, Bill. :D

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 10, 2010
                                        Bill,

                                        Are you going to be doing vintage computer repair also, as opposed to mainly modern day system repairs. If you are doing the vintage PC repairs, I have a couple of ISA POST diagnostic cards, one of them is just ISA, the other is ISA on one side, PCI on the other, so it can even be used for newer types of machines.

                                        I also have a newer power supply tester somewhere, but they are easy enough to come across. Also, if you would be looking for help on the weekends for the vintage repairs, I would definitely like to get in on it. I love working on the old systems, which is one of the reasons I joined this group.

                                        Lemme know,

                                        Joe