huge lot of 5.25" DSDD floppies

  • BobShuster
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 7, 2010
      A few months ago, I managed to win an eBay lot of 467 branded mostly DSDD floppies - for $26! My plan is to erase them and use for my 8-bit systems.

      However, they are all full of software - looks like PC software. Would anyone be interested in going through these before I start erasing? I don't have a vintage PC nor am I interested in one, but I hate the thought of erasing these if someone would find them useful. Some are original software disks, most are copies, many have labels that only say "D1", "D2", etc. - so not very helpful.

      I'm just northwest of Philadelphia (near Chestnut Hill) if anyone wants to peruse.
    • BobShuster
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 15, 2010
        OK, so no responses... :( I really hate to just erase these without making sure nothing valuable/useful/interesting is on them. So what would I need to read these floppies?

        I have access to 3 PCs here (not vintage by any stretch), and none have 5.25 floppies. One is an old Dell system, the other two I built. One of these has the ASUS P5K-VM motherboard (running XP Pro - my home server), the other has the ASUS M3A78 PRO (running Vista Home Premium - my gaming machine).

        I do have 8-bit systems with floppies - C64, Atari 400/800, TRS-80 Model I/III, Apple II+/e, but I don't know if any of them can read PC-formatted floppies - or can be fooled into doing so.

        I do not have a bare 5.25" drive to use for this, but I could certainly pick one up on eBay or elsewhere.

        Thoughts/advice?
      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 15, 2010
          Bob,
          You will have to buy something that can read the floppies, the cheapest way
          to go is to get an old 486 with 3.5 and 5 1/4 drives, you can transfer the
          files to the 3.5 drive from the 5 1/4". These systems are still common at
          flea markets, etc.
          Bill

          > OK, so no responses... :( I really hate to just erase these without
          making sure nothing valuable/useful/interesting is on them. So what would
          I need to read these floppies?

          > I have access to 3 PCs here (not vintage by any stretch), and none have
          5.25 floppies. One is an old Dell system, the other two I built. One of
          these has the ASUS P5K-VM motherboard (running XP Pro - my home server),
          the other has the ASUS M3A78 PRO (running Vista Home Premium - my gaming
          machine).

          > I do have 8-bit systems with floppies - C64, Atari 400/800, TRS-80 Model
          I/III, Apple II+/e, but I don't know if any of them can read PC-formatted
          floppies - or can be fooled into doing so.

          > I do not have a bare 5.25" drive to use for this, but I could certainly
          pick one up on eBay or elsewhere.

          > Thoughts/advice?

        • Bob Schwier
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 15, 2010
            I have such a working system if he's able to pick up in Delaware County
            PA.  He'll have to find the monitor.  I also seem to be blessed with a box
            of 14 7/8 spooled printer paper, blank not green bar.
            bs

            You will have to buy something that can read the floppies, the cheapest way
            to go is to get an old 486 with 3.5 and 5 1/4 drives, you can transfer the
            files to the 3.5 drive from the 5 1/4". These systems are still common at
            flea markets, etc.
            Bill

            > OK, so no responses... :( I really hate to just erase these without
            making sure nothing valuable/useful/ interesting is on them. So what would
            I need to read these floppies?

            > I have access to 3 PCs here (not vintage by any stretch), and none have
            5.25 floppies. One is an old Dell system, the other two I built. One of
            these has the ASUS P5K-VM motherboard (running XP Pro - my home server),
            the other has the ASUS M3A78 PRO (running Vista Home Premium - my gaming
            machine).

            > I do have 8-bit systems with floppies - C64, Atari 400/800, TRS-80 Model
            I/III, Apple II+/e, but I don't know if any of them can read PC-formatted
            floppies - or can be fooled into doing so.

            > I do not have a bare 5.25" drive to use for this, but I could certainly
            pick one up on eBay or elsewhere.

            > Thoughts/advice?

          • jus10j
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 15, 2010
              Bob,
              I have an old Samsung SD700 386SX with a 3.5" and a 5.25" floppy included (but the HD was taken out) that I would donate to your effort. Are you coming to TCF? I could bring it with me, if not I can see what I can do to get it over your way.

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "BobShuster" <bob@...> wrote:

              > OK, so no responses... :( I really hate to just erase these without making sure nothing valuable/useful/interesting is on them. So what would I need to read these floppies?
              >
              > I have access to 3 PCs here (not vintage by any stretch), and none have 5.25 floppies. One is an old Dell system, the other two I built. One of these has the ASUS P5K-VM motherboard (running XP Pro - my home server), the other has the ASUS M3A78 PRO (running Vista Home Premium - my gaming machine).
              >
              > I do have 8-bit systems with floppies - C64, Atari 400/800, TRS-80 Model I/III, Apple II+/e, but I don't know if any of them can read PC-formatted floppies - or can be fooled into doing so.
              >
              > I do not have a bare 5.25" drive to use for this, but I could certainly pick one up on eBay or elsewhere.
              >
              > Thoughts/advice?

            • Bob Applegate
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 15, 2010
                BobShuster <bob@...> wrote :

                It is extremely unlike the Atari drives will be able to read other disk formats as they have dedicated processors in them that only know about Atari (and extended) formats. They also spin the drive at 290 RPM instead of 300.

                Bob

                ___________________________________
                NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
              • BobShuster
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 20, 2010
                  I had several offers from MARCH folks of systems to test these disks out on! Thanks so much guys and gals. So courtesy of Justin Jernigan I now have a Samsung SD700 386SX (shipped at his own expense I should add) to try them out on. This has both 3.5 and 5.25 floppy drives, so that should simplify the process. It will be a few weeks before I have time to set this up, but I will post my progress here.

                  Does anyone perchance have any documentation for the SD700 or know of a link to info? I'm having a hard time finding anything.

                  - Bob

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 20, 2010
                    Bob,
                    It's a PC. Just plug it in like a modern PC and go. The 3.5 drive is
                    probably the A drive, the 5 1/4" is probably the B drive. You could
                    visually inspect the motherboard to see if there is a battery that has
                    leaked, but other than that it's too new to be a big deal to use as long as
                    you have a PS/2 keyboard and maybe a PS/2 mouse.
                    Bill

                    > I had several offers from MARCH folks of systems to test these disks out
                    on! Thanks so much guys and gals. So courtesy of Justin Jernigan I now
                    have a Samsung SD700 386SX (shipped at his own expense I should add) to try
                    them out on. This has both 3.5 and 5.25 floppy drives, so that should
                    simplify the process. It will be a few weeks before I have time to set
                    this up, but I will post my progress here.

                    > Does anyone perchance have any documentation for the SD700 or know of a
                    link to info? I'm having a hard time finding anything.

                    > - Bob
                    >
                    > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "BobShuster" <bob@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > A few months ago, I managed to win an eBay lot of 467 branded mostly
                    DSDD floppies - for $26! My plan is to erase them and use for my 8-bit
                    systems.

                    > > However, they are all full of software - looks like PC software. Would
                    anyone be interested in going through these before I start erasing? I
                    don't have a vintage PC nor am I interested in one, but I hate the thought
                    of erasing these if someone would find them useful. Some are original
                    software disks, most are copies, many have labels that only say "D1", "D2",
                    etc. - so not very helpful.

                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 20, 2010

                      ...that's vintage in my book -- haa !
                      <ducks back into cave before Evan sees this>

                      Bill Degnan wrote:
                      Bob,
                      [snip]
                      but other than that it's too new to be a big deal to use

                      From: "BobShuster" <bob@...>

                      have a Samsung SD700 386SX

                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 20, 2010
                        On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, BobShuster wrote:

                        > Does anyone perchance have any documentation for the SD700 or know of a
                        > link to info? I'm having a hard time finding anything.

                        I ran across an interesting collection of documents called "The A+
                        Reference Book" by Phil Croucher, which lists switch settings for hundreds
                        of motherboards, BIOS settings, POST codes and much more.

                        www.cizgi-tagem.org/localres/vfiles/tagem/dms_file//2655/aplus.pdf

                        The switch settings for your Samsung SD700 are in there.

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • Bill Degnan
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 20, 2010
                          The A+ book is quite useful, thanks.

                          It turns out that I have a Samsung SD630 which must be about the same as
                          the SD700....I suppose mine is the version with the 5 1/4" drive and 20MD
                          hard drive. It's been buried at the bottom of a pile of "newer" stuff and
                          forgot I even had one until I searched for for SD700 it and found my
                          Samsung SD630 page

                          I added a copy of the A+ PDF to vintagecomputer.net, in the event that this
                          site goes down. It's in the CISC367 section.

                          I also updated my links page with some suggestions from Alex Bodnar (and
                          deleted his original post so everything is in one place).

                          Thanks..
                          Bill

                          > > Does anyone perchance have any documentation for the SD700 or know of a

                          > > link to info? I'm having a hard time finding anything.
                          >
                          > I ran across an interesting collection of documents called "The A+
                          > Reference Book" by Phil Croucher, which lists switch settings for
                          hundreds
                          > of motherboards, BIOS settings, POST codes and much more.
                          >
                          > www.cizgi-tagem.org/localres/vfiles/tagem/dms_file//2655/aplus.pdf
                          >
                          > The switch settings for your Samsung SD700 are in there.
                          >

                          > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                        • Mike Loewen
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 20, 2010
                            On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

                            > I added a copy of the A+ PDF to vintagecomputer.net, in the event that this
                            > site goes down. It's in the CISC367 section.

                            While you're at it you could add TheRef, which is hosted on the M.
                            Farris site:

                            http://theref.mfarris.com/

                            In the files section there's a download link. I have to look for this,
                            every time I need it.

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          • Bill Degnan
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 20, 2010
                              ok

                              > > I added a copy of the A+ PDF to vintagecomputer.net, in the event that
                              this
                              > > site goes down. It's in the CISC367 section.
                              >
                              > While you're at it you could add TheRef, which is hosted on the M.
                              > Farris site:
                              >
                              > http://theref.mfarris.com/
                              >
                              > In the files section there's a download link. I have to look for
                              this,
                              > every time I need it.
                              >

                              > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                            • ExSlyder
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 21, 2010
                                I may be getting an old portable machine that has a 5.25" floppy drive in it, so we could test out some of the discs. I use most of my old floppies for my C64/Atari 800/Apple IIc/e systems. I had actually found a place in Center City where I picked up 2 25 packs of brand new DSDD floppies in bulk, so they definitely came in handy.

                                What 8bit machines do you have and are planning on using these for just out of curosity?