Static Straps, SGIs and stuff, was: KIM-1

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6 7:28 AM
      I do.. I have a couple. I used to be a field service tech back in the last 80s / early 90s..

      I also used to repair SGIs which explains my unreasonable emotional reactions to those machines.

      I went to Origin 2000 and Onyx2 repair training back in the 90s and was in their repair rooms and we wore special shoes and anti-static straps and coats.

      The cards had special interfaces and if you touched them, the card was considered useless because the oils from your skin would damage the interface over time.

      I had a lot of fun with those machines. In one lab we took all the machines and played multi-user dog fight. They had a wire frame flight simulator and we did dog fights against each other.. This was like 1996.

      Man I should do this for a VCF since between Brian and I we have the machines for it.

      --- On Tue, 4/6/10, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:
      Great find !

      Whatever you do, take precautions against static damage when handling
      the board, these are very old chips, and it's quite easy to send a jolt
      of static into a chip with an exposed board like this. It's not easy to
      know how much static is building up inside your body.

      You have a anti-static ground strap yet ?

      =Dan