Re: [midatlanticretro] Computer Cleaning Advice

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
      I'd try microwaving it.  Maybe that will loosen the grime, or was say in Yiddish, the "schmutz".

      Hello fellowMARCHins !

      I recently acquired a Commodore 65 and it is very dirty. I took Bill Degnan's advice and washed it first with dish washing liquid and let it soak overnight. Then use a blow dryer.

      It still had some grime, so I remember a previous thread where he mentioned using Comet. I used that.

      It still had some tough grime inside it that wouldn't come out. Would anyone recommend sand paper ?

      Any recommendations would be helpful !

      Jeff Brace

      HAPPY APRIL FOOL'S DAY !
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
        Jeffrey Brace wrote:
        > It still had some tough grime inside it that wouldn't come out. Would
        > anyone recommend sand paper ?

        Before sandpaper, I'd try alconox.

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Jeffrey Brace

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
            On 4/1/2010 4:57 PM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
            Hello fellowMARCHins !

            I recently acquired a Commodore 65 and it is very dirty. I took Bill Degnan's advice and washed it first with dish washing liquid and let it soak overnight. Then use a blow dryer.

            It still had some grime, so I remember a previous thread where he mentioned using Comet. I used that.

            It still had some tough grime inside it that wouldn't come out. Would anyone recommend sand paper ?

            I think what would probably get rid of all that grime and give the mahine a nice "roundness" is to just use a sandblaster.
            Remember I am a professional.  I used that technique to clean up an old Apple I I had laying around here.  If it still has a bit of grime, attach it to the hood of your car and go through a car wash.  Make sure you pay the little extra for the hot wax - you will thank me later when it comes out so shiny that you will be able to see your face on it!

            Cheers,

            Bryan

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
              Evan Koblentz wrote:
              > I'd try microwaving it. Maybe that will loosen the grime, or was say in
              > Yiddish, the "schmutz".

              Microwaving metal is inadvisable in many situations.

              Peace... Sridhar