Re: [midatlanticretro] Trying again

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
      Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > Maybe the cctalk people will fall for "MARCH minicomputer selloff". :)

      that's a great idea
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
        I'd try microwaving it.  Maybe that will loosen the grime, or was say in Yiddish, the "schmutz".

        Hello fellowMARCHins !

        I recently acquired a Commodore 65 and it is very dirty. I took Bill Degnan's advice and washed it first with dish washing liquid and let it soak overnight. Then use a blow dryer.

        It still had some grime, so I remember a previous thread where he mentioned using Comet. I used that.

        It still had some tough grime inside it that wouldn't come out. Would anyone recommend sand paper ?

        Any recommendations would be helpful !

        Jeff Brace

        HAPPY APRIL FOOL'S DAY !
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
          Jeffrey Brace wrote:
          > It still had some tough grime inside it that wouldn't come out. Would
          > anyone recommend sand paper ?

          Before sandpaper, I'd try alconox.

          Peace... Sridhar
        • Jeffrey Brace

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
              On 4/1/2010 4:57 PM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
              Hello fellowMARCHins !

              I recently acquired a Commodore 65 and it is very dirty. I took Bill Degnan's advice and washed it first with dish washing liquid and let it soak overnight. Then use a blow dryer.

              It still had some grime, so I remember a previous thread where he mentioned using Comet. I used that.

              It still had some tough grime inside it that wouldn't come out. Would anyone recommend sand paper ?

              I think what would probably get rid of all that grime and give the mahine a nice "roundness" is to just use a sandblaster.
              Remember I am a professional.  I used that technique to clean up an old Apple I I had laying around here.  If it still has a bit of grime, attach it to the hood of your car and go through a car wash.  Make sure you pay the little extra for the hot wax - you will thank me later when it comes out so shiny that you will be able to see your face on it!

              Cheers,

              Bryan

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                > I'd try microwaving it. Maybe that will loosen the grime, or was say in
                > Yiddish, the "schmutz".

                Microwaving metal is inadvisable in many situations.

                Peace... Sridhar