Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Rescue today: thanks Jeff F.

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 28, 2010
      Hi Jeff:

      PA has some nice back roads for a pleasant Sunday afternoon drive.
      Unfortunately, it looks like you also discovered that gasoline costs
      quite a bit more than the same thing in NJ, where an attendant pumps
      it for you. :)

      Your efforts are much appreciated for the rescue.

      73 de Ray

      On Mar 28, 2010, at 6:21 PM, Jeffrey Frady wrote:

      > It was a pleasant ride through PA. I took pictures along the
      > journey. http://www.flickr.com/photos/legodude522/sets/
      > 72157623722759074/
    • Jeffrey Frady
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 28, 2010
        I've haven't pumped my own gas in about 6 months, it was fun to do it once again.

        --
        See you space cowboy...
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 28, 2010
          this documentary is shooting there beneficial to Infoage ?

          Clarification: it wasn't a documentary. Fred says it was a pilot for a
          reenactment series that the producer HOPES to get onto the History Channel.

          In theory, the producer will tell others in the business about InfoAge's
          awesome prospects for use as a military set, and maybe InfoAge could profit.
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 29, 2010
            I've been working on another data recovery project, for the gentleman
            who designed the Quest Super Elf. He had over 100 single-sided 8"
            diskettes from 1979-1980, formatted and written on a S100 system under
            CP/M 2.2. I imaged the disks with Dave Dunfield's IMD utility, converted
            them to binary image files with IMDU, then used the Linux cpmtools suite
            to extract the files. Only about a half dozen disks had errors on them,
            and enough of the files were duplicated so that I believe we recovered
            everything (so far).

            This recovery was a lot easier than my IMSAI project, since the disks
            were all formatted as single-sided, single density (128x26). I was quite
            surprised at the lack of errors on the majority of the disks - they just
            don't make 'em like that any more!

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • BDegnan
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 29, 2010
              Wow! I hope to see this some day
              bd

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 30, 2010
                On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, BDegnan wrote:

                > Wow! I hope to see this some day

                He wants to eventually put up a web site about the history of the Super
                Elf. He had hard copies of some of the documents, but they were dot
                matrix printouts and not suitable for OCR. With the original source
                documents, it will make it much easier for him. We recovered lots of
                documentation (Super BASIC, Tiny BASIC, etc.) and some source code.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 30, 2010

                  Mike Loewen wrote:
                  On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, BDegnan wrote:

                  Wow!  I hope to see this some day

                      He wants to eventually put up a web site about the history of the Super
                  Elf.  He had hard copies of some of the documents, but they were dot
                  matrix printouts and not suitable for OCR.  With the original source
                  documents, it will make it much easier for him.  We recovered lots of
                  documentation (Super BASIC, Tiny BASIC, etc.) and some source code.

                  This is really great, I built the Netronics Elf back then, I always wanted to get this back someday.
                  But I wondered how did they download the code into the Elf from the CP/M machine ?
                  Did they make a compatible cassette interface to save them on tape or did they download via the serial port ?

                  =Dan

                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 30, 2010
                    On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, Dan Roganti wrote:

                    > This is really great, I built the Netronics Elf back then, I always
                    > wanted to get this back someday.

                    My understanding is that the Netronics Elf II was a different animal
                    than the Quest Super Elf.

                    > But I wondered how did they download the code into the Elf from the CP/M
                    > machine ?
                    > Did they make a compatible cassette interface to save them on tape or did
                    > they download via the serial port ?

                    Not sure. I know that Paul was looking for someone to recover code
                    from cassette for an unreleased version of Super BASIC. I don't recall
                    seeing any 1802 code on the disks, but I haven't looked at all of it.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...