Re: Rescue today: thanks Jeff F.

  • evan@snarc.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 28 12:06 PM
      Rescue complete: Jeff F. arrived back today with 10 luggables for us, including several first-gen Compaqs.

      Some production company is filming a WW2 documentary here at Infoage. Saw an actor walking around in full Nazi officer's uniform.

      JF is rescuing some Compaq and other "luggables" today. Good stuff: we have plenty of Kaypro and Osborne, but we don't have a Compaq of that era. Now we'll have several.
    • Jeffrey Frady
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 28 3:21 PM
        It was a pleasant ride through PA.  I took pictures along the journey.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/legodude522/sets/72157623722759074/

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 28 5:37 PM
          Hi Jeff:

          PA has some nice back roads for a pleasant Sunday afternoon drive.
          Unfortunately, it looks like you also discovered that gasoline costs
          quite a bit more than the same thing in NJ, where an attendant pumps
          it for you. :)

          Your efforts are much appreciated for the rescue.

          73 de Ray

          On Mar 28, 2010, at 6:21 PM, Jeffrey Frady wrote:

          > It was a pleasant ride through PA. I took pictures along the
          > journey. http://www.flickr.com/photos/legodude522/sets/
          > 72157623722759074/
        • Jeffrey Brace
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 28 6:21 PM
            Good job Jeff F. your effort is appreciated !

            Evan what is the name of this documentary ? So is the fact that this documentary is shooting there beneficial to Infoage ?

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 28 8:01 PM
              I've haven't pumped my own gas in about 6 months, it was fun to do it once again.

              --
              See you space cowboy...
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 28 8:07 PM
                this documentary is shooting there beneficial to Infoage ?

                Clarification: it wasn't a documentary. Fred says it was a pilot for a
                reenactment series that the producer HOPES to get onto the History Channel.

                In theory, the producer will tell others in the business about InfoAge's
                awesome prospects for use as a military set, and maybe InfoAge could profit.
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 29 7:40 PM
                  I've been working on another data recovery project, for the gentleman
                  who designed the Quest Super Elf. He had over 100 single-sided 8"
                  diskettes from 1979-1980, formatted and written on a S100 system under
                  CP/M 2.2. I imaged the disks with Dave Dunfield's IMD utility, converted
                  them to binary image files with IMDU, then used the Linux cpmtools suite
                  to extract the files. Only about a half dozen disks had errors on them,
                  and enough of the files were duplicated so that I believe we recovered
                  everything (so far).

                  This recovery was a lot easier than my IMSAI project, since the disks
                  were all formatted as single-sided, single density (128x26). I was quite
                  surprised at the lack of errors on the majority of the disks - they just
                  don't make 'em like that any more!

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • BDegnan
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 29 8:30 PM
                    Wow! I hope to see this some day
                    bd

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 30 4:12 AM
                      On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, BDegnan wrote:

                      > Wow! I hope to see this some day

                      He wants to eventually put up a web site about the history of the Super
                      Elf. He had hard copies of some of the documents, but they were dot
                      matrix printouts and not suitable for OCR. With the original source
                      documents, it will make it much easier for him. We recovered lots of
                      documentation (Super BASIC, Tiny BASIC, etc.) and some source code.

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 30 5:09 AM

                        Mike Loewen wrote:
                        On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, BDegnan wrote:

                        Wow!  I hope to see this some day

                            He wants to eventually put up a web site about the history of the Super
                        Elf.  He had hard copies of some of the documents, but they were dot
                        matrix printouts and not suitable for OCR.  With the original source
                        documents, it will make it much easier for him.  We recovered lots of
                        documentation (Super BASIC, Tiny BASIC, etc.) and some source code.

                        This is really great, I built the Netronics Elf back then, I always wanted to get this back someday.
                        But I wondered how did they download the code into the Elf from the CP/M machine ?
                        Did they make a compatible cassette interface to save them on tape or did they download via the serial port ?

                        =Dan

                      • Mike Loewen
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 30 5:43 AM
                          On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, Dan Roganti wrote:

                          > This is really great, I built the Netronics Elf back then, I always
                          > wanted to get this back someday.

                          My understanding is that the Netronics Elf II was a different animal
                          than the Quest Super Elf.

                          > But I wondered how did they download the code into the Elf from the CP/M
                          > machine ?
                          > Did they make a compatible cassette interface to save them on tape or did
                          > they download via the serial port ?

                          Not sure. I know that Paul was looking for someone to recover code
                          from cassette for an unreleased version of Super BASIC. I don't recall
                          seeing any 1802 code on the disks, but I haven't looked at all of it.

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...