SB Green screen - Re: [midatlanticretro] Crockford video on early computer days

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23, 2010
      Oops, I forgot to change the subject line.

      On 3/23/2010 11:12 PM, Jim Scheef wrote:

      All,

      Sometime back we had several threads about the Green Screen Experience and/or a museum kiosk based on serial terminals. I suggested creating content in text-only HTML and displaying it on serial terminals using the lynx browser. It would be easiest to drive the terminals from a box running Linux (pay no attention to that box behind the curtain) which can also host the pages using Apache, no network needed.

      I finally took a few (very few) moments to code a very few pages to illustrate the concept. You can see this at http://home. telemarksys. com/march. Of course any browser will display the pages, but that is not the point. You need to use lynx (or links) running in a terminal window to get closer to how it would look on a real terminal. For instance, the words 'MARCH has Museum' are in H1 tags that display as a larger size font in a regular browser like IE. This is lost in Lynx as the terminal has only one size font.

      I've tested the pages using lynx on Cygwin/Windows and on Linux. On these platforms lynx runs in a terminal window. Setting up a serial terminal is a project for another day.

      HTML is simple to code and people can develop pages anywhere and send them to be added to the "website" on the box in the museum - no compiler or preprocessor needed.