Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: They Don't Make Computer Manuals Like They Used To

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 8, 2010
      Jack99rubin <jack.rubin@...> wrote :

      >Which is exactly why I urged you to do a "Franklin Panel" for VCF a few years ago! I probably should have just attached Evan to your ankle. You and Franklin are an integral part of the "revolution" and you/we should be interviewing and documenting (in the historical, not "user manual" sense) the work that you did. Same with some of the other club resources such as Claude, Herb, Bob Kushnier, and several others.

      Well, that was completely my fault, not Evan's. He called to ask if I'd have something together for VCF but I was really focused on too many things and completely let the exhibit slip. It also happened around the start of the school year so I was busy with kid stuff.

      FWIW, one of the three founders and original President of Franklin, Joel Shusterman, said he'd be very interested in participating in something like this. He's a very funny guy with tons of drive and lots of good stories. Joel recently gave me a ton of early Franklin stuff, including framed photos of early products that used to hang in his office, early marketing give-aways, along with 7 or 8 boxes of software, the master copies of some of the documents associated with the Apple lawsuit (ie, the OFFICIAL ones given to Franklin), a Laser 128 personally given to him by the president of Laser, etc. I've got Franklin mugs, pen/pencil sets, screwdrivers, stationary, pins, buttons, faceplates, balloons, kites, posters, and more things than I can think of.

      My wife and kids complain about the piles of stuff in the basement.

      ___________________________________
      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 8, 2010

        http://8bitnyc.com/

      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 8, 2010
          On 3/8/2010 1:20 PM, Christian Liendo wrote:

          http://8bitnyc.com/

          Sounds interesting, but the website is down/real slow.  But this seems like more history rewriting because it makes it look like 8-bit started with the NES. :-(

          Cheers,

          Bryan

        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 8, 2010
            Bryan Pope wrote:
            On 3/8/2010 1:20 PM, Christian Liendo wrote:

            http://8bitnyc.com/

            Sounds interesting, but the website is down/real slow.  But this seems like more history rewriting because it makes it look like 8-bit started with the NES. :-(

            slow on this end too

            =Dan

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 8, 2010
              > Which is exactly why I urged you to do a "Franklin Panel" for VCF a few years ago! I probably should have just attached Evan to your ankle.

              Sounds painful.
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 8, 2010
                > Well, that was completely my fault, not Evan's. He called to ask if I'd have something together for VCF but I was really focused on too many things and completely let the exhibit slip. It also happened around the start of the school year so I was busy with kid stuff.
                >
                > FWIW, one of the three founders and original President of Franklin, Joel Shusterman, said he'd be very interested in participating in something like this. He's a very funny guy with tons of drive and lots of good stories. Joel recently gave me a ton of early Franklin stuff, including framed photos of early products that used to hang in his office, early marketing give-aways, along with 7 or 8 boxes of software, the master copies of some of the documents associated with the Apple lawsuit (ie, the OFFICIAL ones given to Franklin), a Laser 128 personally given to him by the president of Laser, etc. I've got Franklin mugs, pen/pencil sets, screwdrivers, stationary, pins, buttons, faceplates, balloons, kites, posters, and more things than I can think of.

                Plenty of time to prepare all that before VCF East 7.0, sometime in May
                2011 ...... or it could be part of a museum exhibit before then.
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 9, 2010

                  Dan Roganti wrote:
                  Bryan Pope wrote:
                  On 3/8/2010 1:20 PM, Christian Liendo wrote:

                  http://8bitnyc.com/

                  Sounds interesting, but the website is down/real slow.  But this seems like more history rewriting because it makes it look like 8-bit started with the NES. :-(

                  slow on this end too

                  it's loading a lot faster this morning
                  looks great.

                  =Dan

                • Christian Liendo
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 9, 2010
                    OK.. So who is down to take off work and go to this?

                    http://www.fanboy.com/2010/03/tron-legacy-the-full-trailer-shows-that-disney-has-a-winner.html#more-14245

                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 9, 2010

                      Christian Liendo wrote:
                      OK.. So who is down to take off work and go to this?

                      http://www.fanboy.com/2010/03/tron-legacy-the-full-trailer-shows-that-disney-has-a-winner.html#more-14245

                      I think there will be a midnight showing as usual, which is always on the eve of the release, that's when I'm going. Don't forget there will be a IMAX 3D release too.

                      =Dan

                    • Justin Jernigan
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 9, 2010
                        Looks pretty cool -- I tried to access it yesterday but didn't have any luck.

                        Looks like he is on tap to do 15 more cities, 8 of which are designated already and another 7 to be voted on. He set up a Kickstarter project and already has 100% funding. He hit nearly $2k of his $3k goal on Day One. That is awesome.

                        At the $30 donation level he will let you designate youself on a map, it would be cool if he was doing NJ and we could get MARCH/Infoage on the map.
                      • Jeffrey Brace
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 10, 2010
                          The trailer is cool !  Look forward to seeing it. I may even have to find an IMAX 3D in New Jersey (or even NYC) to go see it Smiley emoticon

                          I love that Bruce Boxleitner (the original Tron) will be in it. Any idea if Peter Jurasik will be in it or any others from the original ? Of course we know about Jeff Bridges.

                            From: Dan Roganti <ragooman@...>
                            Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] OT:What if google maps were done on a 8bit?
                            To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Tuesday, March 9, 2010, 7:43 AM