Re: [midatlanticretro] They Don't Make Computer Manuals Like They Used To

    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 7, 2010
      One of the best ways to document beyond a manual is to create a well-written web page that is facing the public internet on the subject.   There are a few groups collecting every page on the public facing internet, helping insure that this and all information is preserved.
      bd

        Bob Applegate wrote:
      Since this is of personal interest to me, keep in mind that there is documentation and then there are the things that went on behind the scenes.  Docs are important, but a lot of the docs have stuff that nobody notices until the "inside story" gets told, as was the case with the web page that started this whole discussion.  I can probably find copies of the Franklin ACE-1000 documentation at a number of computer museums, but how many curators know what all the pictures mean?  100 years from now there will still be vintage computers sitting in collections along with the docs, but little of the history or inside stories.  Believe me, a LOT of interesting things went on at the time that never got documented :)

      I remember one of the first episodes of Futurama when Fry and Leela go to the moon and watch a stage presentation about the early space program, none of which is told correctly.  Is the same fate awaiting the early days of personal computers?  Only Microsoft, IBM and Apple will have any legacy?

      Bob

      On Mar 7, 2010, at 1:40 PM, Jim Scheef wrote:

      So can we do a better job of collecting documentation? (rhetorical question) The fact that Bitsavers has so much is no excuse for us to not make every effort to collect and preserve original copies of manuals. Such a library should make the museum a destination for historians and collectors to do research. Plug and Play was the worst thing that ever happened to documentation. Manufacturers think they can just say "plug it in and it will work" and when it does, everyone is happy. But when it doesn't, there to no way to debug.

    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 8, 2010
        Jack99rubin <jack.rubin@...> wrote :

        >Which is exactly why I urged you to do a "Franklin Panel" for VCF a few years ago! I probably should have just attached Evan to your ankle. You and Franklin are an integral part of the "revolution" and you/we should be interviewing and documenting (in the historical, not "user manual" sense) the work that you did. Same with some of the other club resources such as Claude, Herb, Bob Kushnier, and several others.

        Well, that was completely my fault, not Evan's. He called to ask if I'd have something together for VCF but I was really focused on too many things and completely let the exhibit slip. It also happened around the start of the school year so I was busy with kid stuff.

        FWIW, one of the three founders and original President of Franklin, Joel Shusterman, said he'd be very interested in participating in something like this. He's a very funny guy with tons of drive and lots of good stories. Joel recently gave me a ton of early Franklin stuff, including framed photos of early products that used to hang in his office, early marketing give-aways, along with 7 or 8 boxes of software, the master copies of some of the documents associated with the Apple lawsuit (ie, the OFFICIAL ones given to Franklin), a Laser 128 personally given to him by the president of Laser, etc. I've got Franklin mugs, pen/pencil sets, screwdrivers, stationary, pins, buttons, faceplates, balloons, kites, posters, and more things than I can think of.

        My wife and kids complain about the piles of stuff in the basement.

        ___________________________________
        NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
      • jack99rubin
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 8, 2010
          Which is exactly why I urged you to do a "Franklin Panel" for VCF a few years ago! I probably should have just attached Evan to your ankle. You and Franklin are an integral part of the "revolution" and you/we should be interviewing and documenting (in the historical, not "user manual" sense) the work that you did. Same with some of the other club resources such as Claude, Herb, Bob Kushnier, and several others.

          Sheesh!

          Jack

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:

          > Since this is of personal interest to me, keep in mind that there is documentation and then there are the things that went on behind the scenes. Docs are important, but a lot of the docs have stuff that nobody notices until the "inside story" gets told, as was the case with the web page that started this whole discussion. I can probably find copies of the Franklin ACE-1000 documentation at a number of computer museums, but how many curators know what all the pictures mean? 100 years from now there will still be vintage computers sitting in collections along with the docs, but little of the history or inside stories. Believe me, a LOT of interesting things went on at the time that never got documented :)
          >
          > I remember one of the first episodes of Futurama when Fry and Leela go to the moon and watch a stage presentation about the early space program, none of which is told correctly. Is the same fate awaiting the early days of personal computers? Only Microsoft, IBM and Apple will have any legacy?
          >
          > Bob

          <snip>
        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 8, 2010

            http://8bitnyc.com/

          • Bryan Pope
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 8, 2010
              On 3/8/2010 1:20 PM, Christian Liendo wrote:

              http://8bitnyc.com/

              Sounds interesting, but the website is down/real slow.  But this seems like more history rewriting because it makes it look like 8-bit started with the NES. :-(

              Cheers,

              Bryan

            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 8, 2010
                Bryan Pope wrote:
                On 3/8/2010 1:20 PM, Christian Liendo wrote:

                http://8bitnyc.com/

                Sounds interesting, but the website is down/real slow.  But this seems like more history rewriting because it makes it look like 8-bit started with the NES. :-(

                slow on this end too

                =Dan

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 8, 2010
                  > Which is exactly why I urged you to do a "Franklin Panel" for VCF a few years ago! I probably should have just attached Evan to your ankle.

                  Sounds painful.
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 8, 2010
                    > Well, that was completely my fault, not Evan's. He called to ask if I'd have something together for VCF but I was really focused on too many things and completely let the exhibit slip. It also happened around the start of the school year so I was busy with kid stuff.
                    >
                    > FWIW, one of the three founders and original President of Franklin, Joel Shusterman, said he'd be very interested in participating in something like this. He's a very funny guy with tons of drive and lots of good stories. Joel recently gave me a ton of early Franklin stuff, including framed photos of early products that used to hang in his office, early marketing give-aways, along with 7 or 8 boxes of software, the master copies of some of the documents associated with the Apple lawsuit (ie, the OFFICIAL ones given to Franklin), a Laser 128 personally given to him by the president of Laser, etc. I've got Franklin mugs, pen/pencil sets, screwdrivers, stationary, pins, buttons, faceplates, balloons, kites, posters, and more things than I can think of.

                    Plenty of time to prepare all that before VCF East 7.0, sometime in May
                    2011 ...... or it could be part of a museum exhibit before then.
                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 9, 2010

                      Dan Roganti wrote:
                      Bryan Pope wrote:
                      On 3/8/2010 1:20 PM, Christian Liendo wrote:

                      http://8bitnyc.com/

                      Sounds interesting, but the website is down/real slow.  But this seems like more history rewriting because it makes it look like 8-bit started with the NES. :-(

                      slow on this end too

                      it's loading a lot faster this morning
                      looks great.

                      =Dan

                    • Christian Liendo
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 9, 2010
                        OK.. So who is down to take off work and go to this?

                        http://www.fanboy.com/2010/03/tron-legacy-the-full-trailer-shows-that-disney-has-a-winner.html#more-14245

                      • Dan Roganti
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 9, 2010

                          Christian Liendo wrote:
                          OK.. So who is down to take off work and go to this?

                          http://www.fanboy.com/2010/03/tron-legacy-the-full-trailer-shows-that-disney-has-a-winner.html#more-14245

                          I think there will be a midnight showing as usual, which is always on the eve of the release, that's when I'm going. Don't forget there will be a IMAX 3D release too.

                          =Dan

                        • Justin Jernigan
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 9, 2010
                            Looks pretty cool -- I tried to access it yesterday but didn't have any luck.

                            Looks like he is on tap to do 15 more cities, 8 of which are designated already and another 7 to be voted on. He set up a Kickstarter project and already has 100% funding. He hit nearly $2k of his $3k goal on Day One. That is awesome.

                            At the $30 donation level he will let you designate youself on a map, it would be cool if he was doing NJ and we could get MARCH/Infoage on the map.
                          • Jeffrey Brace
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 10, 2010
                              The trailer is cool !  Look forward to seeing it. I may even have to find an IMAX 3D in New Jersey (or even NYC) to go see it Smiley emoticon

                              I love that Bruce Boxleitner (the original Tron) will be in it. Any idea if Peter Jurasik will be in it or any others from the original ? Of course we know about Jeff Bridges.

                                From: Dan Roganti <ragooman@...>
                                Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] OT:What if google maps were done on a 8bit?
                                To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                                Date: Tuesday, March 9, 2010, 7:43 AM