Re: [midatlanticretro] Ancient Printer Documentation

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6 11:20 AM
      Hey Ron,
      What printer, maybe I have the actual manual. I know that these
      commands were in HP laserjet manuals because I used to use them when I
      programmed using the Clipper language. I have a chart from a Gemini
      10X/15X nearby, what exactly do you need?
      Bill Degnan

      RonK wrote:
      > Hi Guys,
      >
      > I was having some problems, sharing a printer between my computers. I thought I knew very little about how this operation worked. All I knew was there is a thing called a printer driver, and somehow the correct signals flowed from one computer, over the LAN to the other computer, and then out to the printer through a USB port.
      >
      > Starting to think about it more, the back part of my brain kicked in. I suddenly remembered, I DID have a knowledge of how printers work!
      >
      > Remember, in olden days, when you bought a printer, it came with a 60 page manual, which was stocked full of ASCII printer commands? Using BASIC, you could "OPEN" the printer and send commands down the line to put the printer through its paces.
      >
      > I guess it still works that way today, but we have become so far removed from the real nitty-gritty of our machines, that I figured only you guys would appreciate where we've been.
      >
      > Anybody still have an old printer manual around?
      >
      > Ron

    • RonK
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7 6:11 AM
        Thanks for the offer, Bill.

        Actually, I did go on Google, and found there was still lots of good information to be gleaned from the net, under "ASCII printer codes". Glad to see the Internet is still, "backward compatible" in this regard. Lots of other "Vintage Info" is no longer available. :-)

        Ron