Re: [midatlanticretro] historical? - Zenith minisPORT laptop

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 5, 2010
      Just because something is a mutant doesn't make it historic. If some
      kid is born with 19 arms, that doesn't make him an important part of
      human evolutionary history.

      In a many centuries from now, Bill Degnan the 19th will post to a list
      and write, "But that kid was the only one with 19 arms! I don't know of
      any others. I best blog about it...." :)

      > It's more historic because it's one of the few laptops with a 2" disk drive. The size is not anything special at all, it's the same as most LCD laptops of the era. I don't know of any other laptops that had a 2" disk drive, does anyone?
    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 5, 2010
        On 3/5/2010 12:43 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
        Just because something is a mutant doesn't make it historic.  If some
        kid is born with 19 arms, that doesn't make him an important part of
        human evolutionary history.

        In a many centuries from now, Bill Degnan the 19th will post to a list
        and write, "But that kid was the only one with 19 arms!  I don't know of
        any others.  I best blog about it...."   :)

        But in the VHS vs Beta war, wasn't Beta important?  This laptop was trying to go up against the 3 1/2" disk.  Beta lost even though it has better quality video.  This lost even though it could hold more data.

        Cheers,

        Bryan

        It's more historic because it's one of the few laptops with a 2" disk drive.  The size is not anything special at all, it's the same as most LCD laptops of the era.  I don't know of any other laptops that had a 2" disk drive, does anyone?

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Jeffrey Frady
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 5, 2010
          My ASUS EEE 701 is vintage!

          $10,000 on eBay.

          --
          See you space cowboy...
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 5, 2010
            > On 3/5/2010 12:43 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
            > > Just because something is a mutant doesn't make it historic. If some
            > > kid is born with 19 arms, that doesn't make him an important part of
            > > human evolutionary history.
            > >
            > > In a many centuries from now, Bill Degnan the 19th will post to a list
            > > and write, "But that kid was the only one with 19 arms! I don't know
            of
            > > any others. I best blog about it...." :)
            > >
            > But in the VHS vs Beta war, wasn't Beta important? This laptop was
            > trying to go up against the 3 1/2" disk. Beta lost even though it has
            > better quality video. This lost even though it could hold more data.

            But that was not my point.

            I was saying, IF this system were historic, it's not because it's a mini
            laptop as Jim Sheef said. It's no smaller than others of it's day. The
            only thing that could possibly make this a minor footnote in history is the
            fact that it had the 2" drives.

            My original question, which I believe has been answered, is - Is that
            enough to be "historic" / "vintage". It's from 1989/90 so it's on the
            fence years-wise in our context.

            Side note - the 2" drive had more capacity than the 3.5 disk, despite what
            they say in Wikipedia. I tested the drive myself, it's 812K.

            Bill
          • Ray Sills
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 5, 2010
              Once upon a time, I had a a music sampler that used a 2" drive (Akai
              S-612)). However, the disks used were "quick disks"..
              It was an experiment to make an easy-to-use fast loading storage
              system. The disks were designed so that you could flip them over and
              use either side to save data. The limitation was that the disks would
              only hold 64K. That was OK for the intended use, and I think the hope
              was that the format would be useful for the "home" computers of the
              day. But, the format never caught on.

              I think the design of the disk was that it did not use a director or
              FAT.. but rather, started the recording track at the hub, and spiraled
              outward. The user would dump the entire 64K content at one time..
              either saving or loading. The data tracks were large enough that the
              mechanical aspects of the drive could easily track the spiral. It was
              meant to be simple and inexpensive.

              And, it was fairly quick.. the 64K dump would only take about 10
              seconds or so to transfer. Way faster than a cassette interface,
              which is what a lot of gear of the time was using. The Ensoniq Mirage
              sampler was a big step forward for the time, using single sided 3.5"
              floppy disks, and due to the increased capacity, coupled with the DOS-
              like ability to select individual files (samples), became a hit in the
              marketplace.

              73 de Ray
            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 5, 2010

                just making some remarks about the distinction...

                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                Just because something is a mutant doesn't make it historic.

                The smaller drive form factor which demonstrated a better storage density is an innovation not a mutant. Their LCD laptop may be an example of another mutant of that period but you can't dismiss the innovation.

                If some kid is born with 19 arms, that doesn't make him an important part of
                human evolutionary history.

                In a many centuries from now, Bill Degnan the 19th will post to a list
                and write, "But that kid was the only one with 19 arms!  I don't know of
                any others.  I best blog about it...."   :)

                It's more historic because it's one of the few laptops with a 2" disk drive.  The size is not anything special at all, it's the same as most LCD laptops of the era.  I don't know of any other laptops that had a 2" disk drive, does anyone?

                =Dan

              • David
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 6, 2010
                  I'm glad this came back up, as I have been meaning to respond to this. I have one of these, and I HAD one back in 1992, which I purchased on clearance from a company through "Computer Shopper." I believe I paid about $299 for it. It's not significant in the history of personal computers, nor specifically the laptop, but I still find it very interesting. I had long given mine away, so I then starting looking for one a few years ago, and got one off of eBay.

                  So, I guess the better word for it is - collectible. It's very collectible, because it's unique enough and interesting. Not only does it have the unique 2" disk drive, but it could also have one or two meg of RAM, which you could allocate part of as a RAM drive. It also booted DOS 3.3 from ROM, plus, it has a very cool version of LapLink (I'm pretty sure that's the brand) in ROM, where you can just connect it to another computer, and transfer across to it, so you can then begin transferring files. I was in college part-time, and I was taking a course in both Lotus 1-2-3 and dBase III+. I purchased the computer to do my work at home, instead of at the lab (I had a Mac at home). I was able to copy the programs off of one of the lab computers to my minisPORT, shhhhhh. I only used the software for those courses.

                  This is a unique and proud part of my collection, along side at least two other, non-significant, but very cool computers -
                  the Canon Navigator
                  http://www.museo8bits.com/navigator.htm

                  and the Convergent Technologies WorkSlate
                  http://www.vintagecomputer.net/convergent/

                  I also used to see those advertised for about $1200 or so in the same timespan in "Computer Shopper."

                  Best,

                  David Greelish

                  www.ClassicComputing.com
                  The Home of Computer History Nostalgia

                  The Classic Computing Show podcast

                  Stan Veit's History of the Personal Computer
                  audio book podcast

                  The Classic Computing Expo
                  (planning / working towards summer 2010)
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 7, 2010
                    The 2" drive was an attempt at a more "portable" computing environment when floppies were still an important storage medium. Unfortunately Zenith did nothing to help owners get their data off the 2" floppy and onto their primary computer - their desktop. The reverse was also true so installing applications on the 2" floppy was also a problem. Like so many early laptops, this machine was an misconceived, poorly marketed and poorly supported experiment. Does that make it historic? Like Evan said - sorta. Is it collectible? Certainly, if this is what interests you, then add it to your collection! Of course it would be nice if it comes with a few of those hard to find 2" disks.

                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 7, 2010
                      David,

                      Hooray for anyone who collects what s/he finds interesting irrespective of 10 year rules or any other arbitrary criteria. Collectible is not equal to historic and historic does not define collectible.

                      I had not read your message when I responded to Dan and Evan and did not know about the embedded Laplink. HP did the same thing a few years later in the Omnibook 300/425/435 series and Laplink may have been embedded in more machines. The concept still existed as recently as WinXP (not sure about Vista or 7). Perhaps the MiniSport was the first? Maybe it is historic just a little bit more than sorta.

                      Jim

[...]

                    • Bob Schwier
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 9, 2010
                        I've been wondering if these two inch drives have any thing in common with the small
                        floppies that Brother used even into the nineties in word processors and sewing machines.
                        bs