Re: Atari 800 Power Supply?

  • ExSlyder
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2 7:26 PM
      The power supply I have says 9v and 31va, so I do not know if that means 3.1 amps or 31 amps... although I really doubt the 31amps... I tried I 1.5 amp 9v supply I had around, on the PC it does nothing, on the floppy drive, it lights up the power light, as well as the floppy light (and it sounds like it might be trying to seek the head) but the drive itself is not spinning.

      > Yeah check the specs. I think it is 1 amp or something like that. I believe there are equivalent supplies that can be used.

    • Bill Dromgoole
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2 8:34 PM
        31 volt amps is about the same as watts. So at 9 volts, 31 watts equals
        approximately 3.5 amps. Divide volt amps by volts and get amps.

        billdrom
      • Curt @ Atari Museum
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3 7:38 AM
          Just be VERY careful in using P/S' on certain Atari products...

          Most of the Home computer products use 9VAC - do NOT use a 9VDC power
          supply!
        • ExSlyder
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4 10:12 AM
            Ahh, I wonder if that is why when I tried using a DC adapter it wouldn't power on. Or in the case of the 1050 floppy drives, it would power on the logic board, but not the motor (I guess they are using some kind of rectifier to change from the 9VAC to 12VDC which usually powers the spindle on a floppy drive.

            Hmm.. would a 12VAC supply work do ya think? I have a one from my old set of Creative Labs speakers, it's a good heavy duty supply, and since it is using AC, it should work I think.

            I will first try it on one of my 2 floppy drives, one of them seems to not be working correctly anyway, but the motor will spin and the lights will work. So I figure that would be a good guinea-pig.

            Thanks,

            Joe

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Curt @ Atari Museum" <curt@...> wrote:

            > Just be VERY careful in using P/S' on certain Atari products...
            >
            > Most of the Home computer products use 9VAC - do NOT use a 9VDC power
            > supply!

          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4 10:47 AM
              I don't think winging it with power is a good idea...
              Bill