Re:Atari 800 Power Supply?

  • Curt @ Atari Museum
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
      You need the external power pak or the power board assembly in the right
      side of the system?

      You can get either of them from www.myatari.com and
      www.best-electronics-ca.com which are two of the last Atari-only dealers
      in the world.

      Curt
    • ExSlyder
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
        The power supply I have says 9v and 31va, so I do not know if that means 3.1 amps or 31 amps... although I really doubt the 31amps... I tried I 1.5 amp 9v supply I had around, on the PC it does nothing, on the floppy drive, it lights up the power light, as well as the floppy light (and it sounds like it might be trying to seek the head) but the drive itself is not spinning.

        > Yeah check the specs. I think it is 1 amp or something like that. I believe there are equivalent supplies that can be used.

      • Bill Dromgoole
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
          31 volt amps is about the same as watts. So at 9 volts, 31 watts equals
          approximately 3.5 amps. Divide volt amps by volts and get amps.

          billdrom
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2010
            Just be VERY careful in using P/S' on certain Atari products...

            Most of the Home computer products use 9VAC - do NOT use a 9VDC power
            supply!
          • ExSlyder
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4, 2010
              Ahh, I wonder if that is why when I tried using a DC adapter it wouldn't power on. Or in the case of the 1050 floppy drives, it would power on the logic board, but not the motor (I guess they are using some kind of rectifier to change from the 9VAC to 12VDC which usually powers the spindle on a floppy drive.

              Hmm.. would a 12VAC supply work do ya think? I have a one from my old set of Creative Labs speakers, it's a good heavy duty supply, and since it is using AC, it should work I think.

              I will first try it on one of my 2 floppy drives, one of them seems to not be working correctly anyway, but the motor will spin and the lights will work. So I figure that would be a good guinea-pig.

              Thanks,

              Joe

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Curt @ Atari Museum" <curt@...> wrote:

              > Just be VERY careful in using P/S' on certain Atari products...
              >
              > Most of the Home computer products use 9VAC - do NOT use a 9VDC power
              > supply!

            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 4, 2010
                I don't think winging it with power is a good idea...
                Bill