Re: [midatlanticretro] Atari 800 Power Supply?

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
      I can pull mine out, but what are the specs?  It's probably easy to find equivalent switcher supplies and just make your own cable.

      If you don't find one I can open my collection tomorrow night and see if I've got a spare.

      On Mar 1, 2010, at 7:58 PM, B Degnan wrote:

      I checked.  Sorry I can't help, I don't have any spares.  I share power supplies amongst systems.  I take it you have not found a modern equivalent?
      Bill

      Evan Koblentz wrote:

      What?  We do that all the time and it's perfectly acceptable.

      I know generally we don't advertise/ask if people have stuff for trade

    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
        Yeah check the specs. I think it is 1 amp or something like that. I believe there are equivalent supplies that can be used.

      • Curt @ Atari Museum
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
          You need the external power pak or the power board assembly in the right
          side of the system?

          You can get either of them from www.myatari.com and
          www.best-electronics-ca.com which are two of the last Atari-only dealers
          in the world.

          Curt
        • ExSlyder
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
            The power supply I have says 9v and 31va, so I do not know if that means 3.1 amps or 31 amps... although I really doubt the 31amps... I tried I 1.5 amp 9v supply I had around, on the PC it does nothing, on the floppy drive, it lights up the power light, as well as the floppy light (and it sounds like it might be trying to seek the head) but the drive itself is not spinning.

            > Yeah check the specs. I think it is 1 amp or something like that. I believe there are equivalent supplies that can be used.

          • Bill Dromgoole
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
              31 volt amps is about the same as watts. So at 9 volts, 31 watts equals
              approximately 3.5 amps. Divide volt amps by volts and get amps.

              billdrom
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2010
                Just be VERY careful in using P/S' on certain Atari products...

                Most of the Home computer products use 9VAC - do NOT use a 9VDC power
                supply!
              • ExSlyder
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 4, 2010
                  Ahh, I wonder if that is why when I tried using a DC adapter it wouldn't power on. Or in the case of the 1050 floppy drives, it would power on the logic board, but not the motor (I guess they are using some kind of rectifier to change from the 9VAC to 12VDC which usually powers the spindle on a floppy drive.

                  Hmm.. would a 12VAC supply work do ya think? I have a one from my old set of Creative Labs speakers, it's a good heavy duty supply, and since it is using AC, it should work I think.

                  I will first try it on one of my 2 floppy drives, one of them seems to not be working correctly anyway, but the motor will spin and the lights will work. So I figure that would be a good guinea-pig.

                  Thanks,

                  Joe

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Curt @ Atari Museum" <curt@...> wrote:

                  > Just be VERY careful in using P/S' on certain Atari products...
                  >
                  > Most of the Home computer products use 9VAC - do NOT use a 9VDC power
                  > supply!

                • Bill Degnan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 4, 2010
                    I don't think winging it with power is a good idea...
                    Bill