Atari 800 Power Supply?

  • ExSlyder
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1 3:45 PM
      I know generally we don't advertise/ask if people have stuff for trade. But I need a power supply for an Atari 400/800 series system. I have 2 Atari 800's and 2 Atari 1050 floppy drives, and only 1 power supply, and trying to use a floppy drive without power to the computer doesn't help much.

      Let me know what you're looking for, could probably do a trade, I have a lot of different stuff.

      Thanks,

      Joe
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1 4:19 PM
        What? We do that all the time and it's perfectly acceptable.

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1 4:58 PM
          I checked.  Sorry I can't help, I don't have any spares.  I share power supplies amongst systems.  I take it you have not found a modern equivalent?
          Bill

          Evan Koblentz wrote:
          What?  We do that all the time and it's perfectly acceptable.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Bob Applegate

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1 6:12 PM
              Yeah check the specs. I think it is 1 amp or something like that. I believe there are equivalent supplies that can be used.

            • Curt @ Atari Museum
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2 7:33 AM
                You need the external power pak or the power board assembly in the right
                side of the system?

                You can get either of them from www.myatari.com and
                www.best-electronics-ca.com which are two of the last Atari-only dealers
                in the world.

                Curt
              • ExSlyder
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2 7:26 PM
                  The power supply I have says 9v and 31va, so I do not know if that means 3.1 amps or 31 amps... although I really doubt the 31amps... I tried I 1.5 amp 9v supply I had around, on the PC it does nothing, on the floppy drive, it lights up the power light, as well as the floppy light (and it sounds like it might be trying to seek the head) but the drive itself is not spinning.

                  > Yeah check the specs. I think it is 1 amp or something like that. I believe there are equivalent supplies that can be used.

                • Bill Dromgoole
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 2 8:34 PM
                    31 volt amps is about the same as watts. So at 9 volts, 31 watts equals
                    approximately 3.5 amps. Divide volt amps by volts and get amps.

                    billdrom
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 3 7:38 AM
                      Just be VERY careful in using P/S' on certain Atari products...

                      Most of the Home computer products use 9VAC - do NOT use a 9VDC power
                      supply!
                    • ExSlyder
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 4 10:12 AM
                        Ahh, I wonder if that is why when I tried using a DC adapter it wouldn't power on. Or in the case of the 1050 floppy drives, it would power on the logic board, but not the motor (I guess they are using some kind of rectifier to change from the 9VAC to 12VDC which usually powers the spindle on a floppy drive.

                        Hmm.. would a 12VAC supply work do ya think? I have a one from my old set of Creative Labs speakers, it's a good heavy duty supply, and since it is using AC, it should work I think.

                        I will first try it on one of my 2 floppy drives, one of them seems to not be working correctly anyway, but the motor will spin and the lights will work. So I figure that would be a good guinea-pig.

                        Thanks,

                        Joe

                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Curt @ Atari Museum" <curt@...> wrote:

                        > Just be VERY careful in using P/S' on certain Atari products...
                        >
                        > Most of the Home computer products use 9VAC - do NOT use a 9VDC power
                        > supply!

                      • Bill Degnan
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 4 10:47 AM
                          I don't think winging it with power is a good idea...
                          Bill