re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Using 2SIO to download BASIC into an Alair without a disk drive or cassette.

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 26 10:53 AM
      Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote :

      > I can't tell if it's a page boundary or not.

      If the hex address ends in 00 then it's a page boundary. What was the address where it failed and what type of RAM chips are on the boards?

      ___________________________________
      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 26 11:13 AM

        > Maybe I missed something but the subject implies you're loading a BASIC
        interpreter. That's much larger than a memory test and it won't test
        memory. Use a smaller program that can test your hardware before trying to
        load something larger.

        > You're still using unknown RAM, but a memory test is a lot smaller and
        will use less unknown RAM to run.

        > The other thing is that I seem to remember your failure happened at a
        page boundary. How big are the RAM chips and what was the address again?
        Maybe it happened on a chip boundary.

        I can't tell if it's a page boundary or not.

        I am working through this web site:
        http://www.solivant.com/altair_bootloaders/index.php?album=altair_bootloader
        s&pagen=1

        I will keep at it. I have followed every page closely including the
        troubleshooting section.

        Bill
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 26 11:23 AM
          Bill Degnan wrote:
          > I am not using a terminator.
          > My memory tests so far have all been manual read/write/read tests at each
          > page location 0000, 1000 - F000. I have swapped RAM cards into a number of
          > configurations, and I usually get the same result. It's possible that my
          > laptop serial port is not right? Not sure yet.

          Anytime you add more loads on that bus, by adding more cards, it's wise
          to use a terminator card. The signal quality begins to degrade by the
          consequence of electrical reflections between all the drivers from more
          cards on the bus.

          I uploaded some memory tests that I found online to here. One of them is
          short that you can thumb-in. It's in assembly still, it's not a
          comprehensive test but it's a start, under folder S-100 Test Code.

          =Dan
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 26 12:07 PM
            I will take a look. I may not have a terminator that works. I have to
            check
            bd