re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Using 2SIO to download BASIC into an Alair without a disk drive or cassette.

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 26, 2010
      Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote :

      > Agreed, but I am trying to get programs into the system - chicken and egg
      > problem here. I will test the RAM using a system that can already load
      > programs.

      Maybe I missed something but the subject implies you're loading a BASIC interpreter. That's much larger than a memory test and it won't test memory. Use a smaller program that can test your hardware before trying to load something larger.

      You're still using unknown RAM, but a memory test is a lot smaller and will use less unknown RAM to run.

      The other thing is that I seem to remember your failure happened at a page boundary. How big are the RAM chips and what was the address again? Maybe it happened on a chip boundary.

      ___________________________________
      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 26, 2010
        Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote :

        > I can't tell if it's a page boundary or not.

        If the hex address ends in 00 then it's a page boundary. What was the address where it failed and what type of RAM chips are on the boards?

        ___________________________________
        NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 26, 2010

          > Maybe I missed something but the subject implies you're loading a BASIC
          interpreter. That's much larger than a memory test and it won't test
          memory. Use a smaller program that can test your hardware before trying to
          load something larger.

          > You're still using unknown RAM, but a memory test is a lot smaller and
          will use less unknown RAM to run.

          > The other thing is that I seem to remember your failure happened at a
          page boundary. How big are the RAM chips and what was the address again?
          Maybe it happened on a chip boundary.

          I can't tell if it's a page boundary or not.

          I am working through this web site:
          http://www.solivant.com/altair_bootloaders/index.php?album=altair_bootloader
          s&pagen=1

          I will keep at it. I have followed every page closely including the
          troubleshooting section.

          Bill
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 26, 2010
            Bill Degnan wrote:
            > I am not using a terminator.
            > My memory tests so far have all been manual read/write/read tests at each
            > page location 0000, 1000 - F000. I have swapped RAM cards into a number of
            > configurations, and I usually get the same result. It's possible that my
            > laptop serial port is not right? Not sure yet.

            Anytime you add more loads on that bus, by adding more cards, it's wise
            to use a terminator card. The signal quality begins to degrade by the
            consequence of electrical reflections between all the drivers from more
            cards on the bus.

            I uploaded some memory tests that I found online to here. One of them is
            short that you can thumb-in. It's in assembly still, it's not a
            comprehensive test but it's a start, under folder S-100 Test Code.

            =Dan
          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 26, 2010
              I will take a look. I may not have a terminator that works. I have to
              check
              bd