re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Using 2SIO to download BASIC into an Alair without a disk drive or cassette.

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 26, 2010

      > > I am not using a terminator.
      > > My memory tests so far have all been manual read/write/read tests at
      each
      > > page location 0000, 1000 - F000. I have swapped RAM cards into a
      number of
      > > configurations, and I usually get the same result. It's possible that
      my
      > > laptop serial port is not right? Not sure yet.
      > > cd
      >
      > Whoa! Run a real memory test! I'm assuming the memory is static, but
      there are lots of different kinds of tests that look for refresh problems
      on dynamic memory, as well as shorted address/data bits, bad bits in chips,
      etc. You wouldn't believe how many memory problems slip through because of
      tests that don't run sufficiently complex algorithms.

      > I'd also test one board at a time, or at least pull boards you don't
      need. You've got four 16K boards, right? Pull all but one and check the
      portion not used by the test code. Once it seems to work, put in another
      board and test all 16K of it using a really good (extensive) memory test.
      Now you've got a "golden board" that is known, or at least presumed, to be
      good.

      Agreed, but I am trying to get programs into the system - chicken and egg
      problem here. I will test the RAM using a system that can already load
      programs.

      Bill
    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 26, 2010
        Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote :

        > Agreed, but I am trying to get programs into the system - chicken and egg
        > problem here. I will test the RAM using a system that can already load
        > programs.

        Maybe I missed something but the subject implies you're loading a BASIC interpreter. That's much larger than a memory test and it won't test memory. Use a smaller program that can test your hardware before trying to load something larger.

        You're still using unknown RAM, but a memory test is a lot smaller and will use less unknown RAM to run.

        The other thing is that I seem to remember your failure happened at a page boundary. How big are the RAM chips and what was the address again? Maybe it happened on a chip boundary.

        ___________________________________
        NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
      • Bob Applegate
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 26, 2010
          Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote :

          > I can't tell if it's a page boundary or not.

          If the hex address ends in 00 then it's a page boundary. What was the address where it failed and what type of RAM chips are on the boards?

          ___________________________________
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 26, 2010

            > Maybe I missed something but the subject implies you're loading a BASIC
            interpreter. That's much larger than a memory test and it won't test
            memory. Use a smaller program that can test your hardware before trying to
            load something larger.

            > You're still using unknown RAM, but a memory test is a lot smaller and
            will use less unknown RAM to run.

            > The other thing is that I seem to remember your failure happened at a
            page boundary. How big are the RAM chips and what was the address again?
            Maybe it happened on a chip boundary.

            I can't tell if it's a page boundary or not.

            I am working through this web site:
            http://www.solivant.com/altair_bootloaders/index.php?album=altair_bootloader
            s&pagen=1

            I will keep at it. I have followed every page closely including the
            troubleshooting section.

            Bill
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 26, 2010
              Bill Degnan wrote:
              > I am not using a terminator.
              > My memory tests so far have all been manual read/write/read tests at each
              > page location 0000, 1000 - F000. I have swapped RAM cards into a number of
              > configurations, and I usually get the same result. It's possible that my
              > laptop serial port is not right? Not sure yet.

              Anytime you add more loads on that bus, by adding more cards, it's wise
              to use a terminator card. The signal quality begins to degrade by the
              consequence of electrical reflections between all the drivers from more
              cards on the bus.

              I uploaded some memory tests that I found online to here. One of them is
              short that you can thumb-in. It's in assembly still, it's not a
              comprehensive test but it's a start, under folder S-100 Test Code.

              =Dan
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 26, 2010
                I will take a look. I may not have a terminator that works. I have to
                check
                bd