UPDATE on event....Re: VIC-20 Tweeting

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 26, 2010
      An update on this event can be found on this forum
      http://tinyurl.com/y93ag7v

      While we mentioned this was using a serial host to access Twitter, it was proven to be the case in this forum by someone who visited there. You can view the pics from one of the posting on there too.

      This does not have a Twitter client app running on this as does the C64 using Breadbox64 Twitter app.

      And the person who made the demonstration, 'sydbolton' keeps trying to rationalize his case --funny

      =Dan

      Message 39 of 39 , Feb 26, 2010
        As noted by Dan .... I looked at the thread just now and user
        Sydbolton's posts. He makes several statements of interest to MARCH
        (each followed by my responses below.)

        least resources - 5K of RAM and 1 MHz Processor - being able to Tweet.

        I bet we can beat that!

        have serial capabilities) using a simple command structure I created.
        The VIC is responsible for converting the characters from "PETSCII" to
        "ASCII" ...... The server side currently runs on Windows

        Lame!!!!

        never once claimed this was a native TCP IP situation on the VIC. I used
        a small PC "box". To say it's cheating to communicate would be like
        saying any wireless device that goes through a router is cheating since
        a router is essentially a computer (usually) running Linux. If I put
        that code into a box that was connected directly to the VIC nobody would
        say anything but alas.

        Say what?

        Tweeted

        No, it didn't. It communicated with a Windows PC, and THAT system Tweeted.

        of attention to the beloved VIC-20

        MARCH deserves that attention. Let's make something older than the C-64
        natively Tweet (since the C-64 people already did that with Contiki).
        And/or let's use the serial method to beat this other museum's "record"
        ..... we've got to respond to their challenge using an Altair or IMSAI
        .... and then later our PDP-11/05 just to rub it in. :)