Re: [midatlanticretro] Q-Link - oops!

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
      Bob Applegate wrote:
      > I've got to agree with this. What's retro about a command line
      > interface? I've got
      > multiple Xterm sessions open right now at work. Is that site "vintage"
      > because of
      > the machines they use?

      They use Alphaservers running NetBSD. Those aren't vintage either.

      They do run a good service, though.

      Peace... Sridhar
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2005
        Bob and Sridhar,

        Well, the **IX command line interface is "retro" (as opposed to "vintage")
        because that's where it all started. If you use it today, it's not because
        you MUST, but because you want to. "User Friendly is what you know." I use
        the command shell in Windows XP when it suits my needs, but I don't try to
        configure the Windows DHCP server using the command line. It can be done, but
        why would I want to when it's so much easier and faster to use the GUI? Of
        course on Linux one has no choice but to edit the config files using vi or
        the editor dujour.

        CompuServe still exists (sort of) but the old ASCII interface to the fora is
        gone. Even the Wizop tools are gone. I will probably not need my copy of
        TapCIS anytime soon.

        Jim