Re: [midatlanticretro] Q-Link - oops!

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
      Jim Scheef wrote:
      > In today's context, this message is a liitle out of the blue. It sat in
      > "drafts" for a long time. I meant to delete it and clicked the wrong button.
      > Oh well!
      >
      > ...I really do miss CompuServe, the best of the old online services, and
      > freeshell.org is a true "vintage experience".

      Why is freeshell.org a vintage experience? I still use a shell to do
      most of my work, both at home *and at work*. I use a shell to make my
      living.

      Calling it vintage is calling the CLI outdated is calling UNIX outdated.

      Peace... Sridhar
    • William Pechter
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
        There's a few old CIS users out here who miss it tonight and new the
        end of computing as we know it occurred not with Windows/DOS but with
        the AOL buyout of the CIS name.

        Here's to MNET11 8-)

        --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

        > In today's context, this message is a liitle out of the blue. It sat
        > in
        > "drafts" for a long time. I meant to delete it and clicked the wrong
        > button.
        > Oh well!
        >
        > ...I really do miss CompuServe, the best of the old online services,
        > and
        > freeshell.org is a true "vintage experience".
        >
        > Jim
        >
        > --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Ah, if only someone could resurect the old text-based CompuServe. I
        > miss
        > > the
        > > comraderie of the forums... Using a 2400bps modem... Downloading
        > messages
        > > using TapCIS... Paying $24/hour to connect...
        > >
        > > Oh for the good old days!
        > >
        > > BTW, if you miss a green-screen UNIX system, try
        > http://freeshell.org/. A
        > > limited but still useful UNIX shell account is free and for $1 you
        > get more
        > > complete shell account functionality for life.
        > >
        > > Jim
        > >
        > > --- billdeg@... wrote:
        > >
        > > > I have a number of the original Q-Link disks, I wish I could dial
        > in
        > > > directly, that'd be even better.
        > > > Bill

      • Bob Applegate
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
          I've got to agree with this.  What's retro about a command line interface?  I've got
          multiple Xterm sessions open right now at work.  Is that site "vintage" because of
          the machines they use?

          Bob

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
            Bob Applegate wrote:
            > I've got to agree with this. What's retro about a command line
            > interface? I've got
            > multiple Xterm sessions open right now at work. Is that site "vintage"
            > because of
            > the machines they use?

            They use Alphaservers running NetBSD. Those aren't vintage either.

            They do run a good service, though.

            Peace... Sridhar
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 5, 2005
              Bob and Sridhar,

              Well, the **IX command line interface is "retro" (as opposed to "vintage")
              because that's where it all started. If you use it today, it's not because
              you MUST, but because you want to. "User Friendly is what you know." I use
              the command shell in Windows XP when it suits my needs, but I don't try to
              configure the Windows DHCP server using the command line. It can be done, but
              why would I want to when it's so much easier and faster to use the GUI? Of
              course on Linux one has no choice but to edit the config files using vi or
              the editor dujour.

              CompuServe still exists (sort of) but the old ASCII interface to the fora is
              gone. Even the Wizop tools are gone. I will probably not need my copy of
              TapCIS anytime soon.

              Jim