Re: Another update from Fred @ Infoage

  • Frank_OBrien
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 29, 2005
      Hey folks;

      Saw this note, thought it would be good to reply..

      > I just got home from tonight's party at Infoage. It was a very
      good night
      > for MARCH.

      Yeah, it really was a super get together. It's essential for more of
      the MARCH'ers to attend functions like this, if only to see what goes
      on in such a large, grass-roots project. Plus meeting and greeting
      our core group of supporters (including the local political
      officials, some who have "kept the faith" for a decade or more) is
      absolutely key, both to show them who you are, and to demonstrate
      a "wide and deep" level of support for Infoage. Remember - Fred,
      myself and many other folks essentially saved the site from being
      turned into condos and stip malls. By attending these functions
      demonstrates to the local city officials that their decisions were
      not a mistake. Plus, hey, you may get your picture in the paper!

      > Fred had told me about the improvements to the main room of
      the "hotel"
      > building (where we were in August and where VCF East will be, as
      explained
      > in the message below), but when I saw it for myself tonight, I was
      blown
      > away! The room looks MUCH better. Back in August it was dirty,
      mostly
      > unpainted, lots of broken tiles, even some large gaps in the
      floor. No
      > longer! The old tile is gone, the floor is filled in, and it's all
      covered
      > in decent-looking light gray paint. At this point it looks quite
      > presentable, and they didn't even install the carpeting yet. It's
      much
      > easier now to visualize us holding VCF next spring in this room.

      Yeah, the Dining Room (as it was originally known as) has been
      improved tremendously. It still needs a real paint job (the existing
      job hides a multitude of sins, but it honestly needs to be done
      right). Hopefully I'll get that done in the next month or so....

      > I also ran into Frank, aka the guy who owns the Apollo command
      computer. He
      > and a friend of his (Joe Levy) might come to our Nov. 12 work day.

      We'll see what happens - but I'm sure we can work something out. Joe
      and I worked on a lot of this stuff "back in the day" - so there is a
      lot we can add. Key to this is going to be recording this info - you
      *are* planning on videotaping, photographing and logging all this
      info, aren't you? If not, I belive there is a good document that the
      Smithsonian has put together on this kind of archiving. It's a
      standard that we need to be working at. This is the necessary kind of
      professionalism that is key to Infoage. Hey, we may be small, poor
      and have rooms that need a lot of paint, but that's no excuse for not
      operating at a level that would make the Smithsoniam proud!

      > Frank
      > was able to identify many of the things in the basement (Grabbe)
      collection
      > that we previously could not identify. For example, those two
      small but
      > HEAVY cylindrical things which we thought were either drive units or
      > mini-supercomputer cores -- he said those are "cells" (not sure
      what that
      > means exactly) from an IBM 20-somthing system.

      Mini-supercomputer cores ???

      I'm almost sure they are units from an IBM 2321 Data Cell. They were
      really quite remarkable devices, the very few times they worked right
      (not unlike their 3850 Mass Storage System :-) ). Now, those brought
      up in the PC era have little concept of "removeable storage" in the
      old mainframe sense, but it was a huge part of data processing "back
      in the day". Data Cells were like slices of pie, with several megs of
      data on a continous tape. The tape was somewhat addressable, not
      completely unlike DECTape. So, you had the density and cost/bit of
      tape, and almost the random access of disk. When running work, you
      mounted up your Data Cell Cartridge(s), and you were off. That is,
      until they broke, which is one of the many reasons why we don't look
      lovingly at Data Cells today....

      >the good news is Frank is readily accessible and not a gray-hair,
      > so he'll be around to help us for a long time.

      This is good to hear, I guess... however, my beard is more white than
      other colors....

      My availability is actually a bit limited - I work at another museum
      (the Cradle of Aviation on Long Island, specializing in the Lunar
      Module), and my usual Dickensonian work schedule. I am also the Co-
      Editor of the Apollo Flight Journal, and Contributing Editor for the
      Apollo Lunar Surface Journal, both online NASA publications. So,
      things get a bit busy at times (and I'm chronically behind!)...

      Anyway, time to run...

      All the best,

      Frank
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 29, 2005
        Thanks for the input, Frank, we appreciate it!  I didn't realize there were local politicians there; would have told them about our group.  Oh well.

        We definitely plan to log everything and take photographs.

        With a strict "look but don't touch!" agreement, we'd love to someday have you eventually display the Apollo system in our museum.

        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
          Anyone else?  (See list below)

          10:00 is great, any later than 10:30 and we'll volunteer you for snacks duty.

          Speaking of which, if you do arrive once we're already downstairs, don't waste your time trying to call our cell phones -- they won't work down there.  What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already) is enter the main building, walk down the hall to your left, turn right at the end, walk through the main room, and take the stairs at the end on the right to go down.  Most important, especially if you're tall, WATCH YOUR HEADS down there.  I'm only 5-8 and learned this the difficult way!  Looooooow ceilings in the basement.

          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
            > Anyone else? (See list below)

            I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
            want to be driving home by 6.

            Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
            will be getting in each others way?

            Did they get the rest of the collection?

            I saw the bring camera. Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
            down on paper best? Anything else useful to bring?

            > What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
            > is enter the main building

            Is it obvious which the main building is?

            David Gesswein
            http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
              >>> Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
              will be getting in each others way?

              More people is better.  Moreover, you'll enjoy seeing the facility where our museum and VCF East will happen.

              >>> Did they get the rest of the collection?

              I think that's imminent, and I expect to hear from Fred about this in the nexy day or two.

              >>> Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it down on paper best?

              Totally up to you.  An electronic record will be simpler because it'll all got to be put in a database eventually, but using your laptop in a basement with a hard floor and all might not be a good idea.

              Yes.  Just in case, here's a photo from when it was the brand-new Marconi headquartes in 1914: http://infoage.org/images/wa7ht-2.jpg ... today there's a tall fence around it, but the building looks almost identical.  Facing the building from Marconi Rd., park in the lot to the right side.  Then enter through the front door and follow the directions to the basement as described in my previous email.

              I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
              want to be driving home by 6.

              Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
              will be getting in each others way?

              Did they get the rest of the collection?

              I saw the bring camera.  Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
              down on paper best?  Anything else useful to bring?

              > What you do instead (for
              those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
              > is enter the main
              building

              Is it obvious which the main building is?

              David Gesswein
              http://www.pdp8.net/  -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
            • Chris M
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                I can't actually guarantee I'll be there, but chances
                are high. And of course if I am...I'll be late ;).
                Unemployed hobos like me like to sleep late.
                As to what to bring, I don't have a clue. If anyone
                is specifically interested in a Tandy 1000...a ONE
                followed by 3 ZEROS...I could bring that along, just
                so I don't seem like a stiff. I don't really have that
                much that anyone would want really. Anything non-pc is
                basically in need of total overhaul. I think I have
                some DEC books, but I'd even have to check that. I'm
                open to suggestions.
                Evan, just to be clear, we're talking about the
                "hotel" where we met during the summer?

                __________________________________
                http://farechase.yahoo.com
              • Evan
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                  >>> "hotel" where we met during the summer?
                  Yup.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                    David,
                    If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                    waiting for you...
                    Bill

                    At 05:31 PM 11/9/2005 -0500, you wrote:
                    > > Anyone else? (See list below)
                    > >
                    >I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
                    >want to be driving home by 6.
                    >
                    >Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                    >will be getting in each others way?
                    >
                    >Did they get the rest of the collection?
                    >
                    >I saw the bring camera. Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
                    >down on paper best? Anything else useful to bring?
                    >
                    > > What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
                    > > is enter the main building
                    > >
                    >Is it obvious which the main building is?
                    >
                    >David Gesswein
                    >http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • David Gesswein
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                      > If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                      > waiting for you...

                      I suspect my arrival time isn't going to be predictable enough to make that
                      worthwhile.

                      Do you know which model 8?
                    • John Allain
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                        > I think I have some DEC books, but I'd even have to check that.
                        > I'm open to suggestions.

                        Chris,
                        When John M. packed up the DECMate books there were a lot
                        of 2-of-a-kinds. If you could bring the dupes for me, that could
                        equal a nice contribution/donation.
                        John A.
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                          I do not. It was dark, I assume it was a PDP/8 but I did not write it
                          down. There's a chance that it's not even a PDP/8...anyone remember?
                          bd

                          At 09:06 PM 11/9/2005 -0500, you wrote:
                          > > If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                          > > waiting for you...
                          > >
                          >I suspect my arrival time isn't going to be predictable enough to make that
                          >worthwhile.
                          >
                          >Do you know which model 8?
                          >

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Evan
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                            David, I'm confused, do you still plan to attend?

                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 10, 2005
                              > David, I'm confused, do you still plan to attend?

                              Yes. The not worthwhile was for somebody standing around outside waiting for
                              me to show up since my arrival time is likely to be somewhat unpredictable.