Re: RE: RE: RE: [midatlanticretro] Please read!! MARCH requests your donations...

  • starbase89@optonline.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2005
      > if you see something in the
      > club collection
      > that you want to learn about, just speak up and we'll hand it over.
      > Via
      > this list (and other lists, web sites, in-person help, etc.), we'll
      > help you
      > master the item in question. That way you learn stuff and help the
      > club at
      > the same time. When it's restored, you bring it back to the
      > museum, set it
      > up, and then pick out something else. Sort of like Netflix for
      > tinkerers.:)
      I don't really have much electronics experience aside from soldering components onto a PCB, so I don't know how sucessful I'b be with a restoration.

      > The whole idea is that ours will be a "working" museum for both
      > club members
      > and museum guests. Normally, you go to a museum and either all the
      > signssay "don't touch and no flash photography" or else it's all
      > replicas and
      > simulators. Bah, humbug! We want anyone and everyone to visit our
      > museum,meet a club member who's an expert in whatever topic, and
      > have the guests
      > get to * use * the machines, take a lesson in servicing them, etc.
      Oh, you don't know. A few years ago, my family went down to Washington to the Air and Space Museum. I so wanted to touch the USS Enterprise, you have no idea.

      > How cool would it be if your computer teacher started the September
      > with a
      > quick lesson on computer history and then announced a field trip to
      > Infoageto get to actually open and touch and use the stuff...? One
      > of our
      > neighbors at Infoage will the NJ Science Teachers Association, so
      > we should
      > be able to make this happen.
      I actually have told my computer teacher about this. She has been teaching computer programming for 25 years in the same school, and watched as their computer system got more and more advanced.