RE: Nov. 12 / update on who's attending? was: RE: [midatlanticretro] Another update from Fred @ Infoage

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
      Plus, they will soon carpet all those rooms.  Some of the rooms on the second floor are already carpeted... I bet you didn't see the second floor or the attic.  :)

      And that's just one building!  Infoage is getting the WHOLE BASE in time.

      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 28, 2005
        Should've been there in the old days...
        Took my kid to the doctor the other day and saw the area from the road for the first time since 86 or so when I supported all the DEC hardware down there.

        Geez... looks like it's seen better times (from the outside).  The buildings there were never much beyond WWII/Korea cinderblock or quonset hut stuff and the air conditioning for the machines was always marginal -- but they kept them painted and they looked a lot better
        than they do now.

        I'm sorry it took the Army, county and township this lo clean 'em up and turn them over.
        Had they got it in '88 or so at the first BRAC it would've been in "move in" conidition.

        Anyway, I wonder what's going to happen with the Hexagon (Myers Center) in Eatontown/Tinton Falls... and the stuff on the Little Silver - Oceanport line when the BRAC closing happens.

        The Myers center is a 5 story building with full Auditiorium with all the AV trimmings
        and pretty good computer rooms (Libert AC and such).

        Boy it would make  a good college/trade school/museum -- but it'll probably go to condos like the Cecom building.  The Cecom building was leased and it used to house a number of IBM mainframes for the Fort.  (being buldozed for more adult condos )

        Bill

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 28, 2005
          Hi all,

          I just got home from tonight's party at Infoage.  It was a very good night for MARCH.

          Fred had told me about the improvements to the main room of the "hotel" building (where we were in August and where VCF East will be, as explained in the message below), but when I saw it for myself tonight, I was blown away!  The room looks MUCH better.  Back in August it was dirty, mostly unpainted, lots of broken tiles, even some large gaps in the floor.  No longer!  The old tile is gone, the floor is filled in, and it's all covered in decent-looking light gray paint.  At this point it looks quite presentable, and they didn't even install the carpeting yet.  It's much easier now to visualize us holding VCF next spring in this room.

          They also gave tours of the attic tonight -- we already saw the second floor but never the attic.  Back during WWII, there were several small, secret rooms installed in the attic and the rooms were all surrounded by metal wire shielding so they could develop RADAR without outside interference.  If you think the basement is cool, wait until ya'll see the attic someday.

          John M. (john_apw to most of us): tonight I got into the room where you dropped off the recent haul.  At first Fred thought we were locked out of there, but then we realized the adjacent room was unlocked and you can walk between the rooms. :)   Fred also pointed out the far end of the basement that you told me about.

          Back in the main room, during the party, I met three people who are interested in our club.  One guy (Leo Assur) said he might know a local place getting rid of multiple Prime and General Electric computers.  Good stuff!

          I also ran into Frank, aka the guy who owns the Apollo command computer.  He and a friend of his (Joe Levy) might come to our Nov. 12 work day.  Frank was able to identify many of the things in the basement (Grabbe) collection that we previously could not identify.  For example, those two small but HEAVY cylindrical things which we thought were either drive units or mini-supercomputer cores -- he said those are "cells" (not sure what that means exactly) from an IBM 20-somthing system.  Sorry I didn't get the details... the good news is Frank is readily accessible and not a gray-hair, so he'll be around to help us for a long time.

          - Evan

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 29, 2005
            Hey folks;

            Saw this note, thought it would be good to reply..

            > I just got home from tonight's party at Infoage. It was a very
            good night
            > for MARCH.

            Yeah, it really was a super get together. It's essential for more of
            the MARCH'ers to attend functions like this, if only to see what goes
            on in such a large, grass-roots project. Plus meeting and greeting
            our core group of supporters (including the local political
            officials, some who have "kept the faith" for a decade or more) is
            absolutely key, both to show them who you are, and to demonstrate
            a "wide and deep" level of support for Infoage. Remember - Fred,
            myself and many other folks essentially saved the site from being
            turned into condos and stip malls. By attending these functions
            demonstrates to the local city officials that their decisions were
            not a mistake. Plus, hey, you may get your picture in the paper!

            > Fred had told me about the improvements to the main room of
            the "hotel"
            > building (where we were in August and where VCF East will be, as
            explained
            > in the message below), but when I saw it for myself tonight, I was
            blown
            > away! The room looks MUCH better. Back in August it was dirty,
            mostly
            > unpainted, lots of broken tiles, even some large gaps in the
            floor. No
            > longer! The old tile is gone, the floor is filled in, and it's all
            covered
            > in decent-looking light gray paint. At this point it looks quite
            > presentable, and they didn't even install the carpeting yet. It's
            much
            > easier now to visualize us holding VCF next spring in this room.

            Yeah, the Dining Room (as it was originally known as) has been
            improved tremendously. It still needs a real paint job (the existing
            job hides a multitude of sins, but it honestly needs to be done
            right). Hopefully I'll get that done in the next month or so....

            > I also ran into Frank, aka the guy who owns the Apollo command
            computer. He
            > and a friend of his (Joe Levy) might come to our Nov. 12 work day.

            We'll see what happens - but I'm sure we can work something out. Joe
            and I worked on a lot of this stuff "back in the day" - so there is a
            lot we can add. Key to this is going to be recording this info - you
            *are* planning on videotaping, photographing and logging all this
            info, aren't you? If not, I belive there is a good document that the
            Smithsonian has put together on this kind of archiving. It's a
            standard that we need to be working at. This is the necessary kind of
            professionalism that is key to Infoage. Hey, we may be small, poor
            and have rooms that need a lot of paint, but that's no excuse for not
            operating at a level that would make the Smithsoniam proud!

            > Frank
            > was able to identify many of the things in the basement (Grabbe)
            collection
            > that we previously could not identify. For example, those two
            small but
            > HEAVY cylindrical things which we thought were either drive units or
            > mini-supercomputer cores -- he said those are "cells" (not sure
            what that
            > means exactly) from an IBM 20-somthing system.

            Mini-supercomputer cores ???

            I'm almost sure they are units from an IBM 2321 Data Cell. They were
            really quite remarkable devices, the very few times they worked right
            (not unlike their 3850 Mass Storage System :-) ). Now, those brought
            up in the PC era have little concept of "removeable storage" in the
            old mainframe sense, but it was a huge part of data processing "back
            in the day". Data Cells were like slices of pie, with several megs of
            data on a continous tape. The tape was somewhat addressable, not
            completely unlike DECTape. So, you had the density and cost/bit of
            tape, and almost the random access of disk. When running work, you
            mounted up your Data Cell Cartridge(s), and you were off. That is,
            until they broke, which is one of the many reasons why we don't look
            lovingly at Data Cells today....

            >the good news is Frank is readily accessible and not a gray-hair,
            > so he'll be around to help us for a long time.

            This is good to hear, I guess... however, my beard is more white than
            other colors....

            My availability is actually a bit limited - I work at another museum
            (the Cradle of Aviation on Long Island, specializing in the Lunar
            Module), and my usual Dickensonian work schedule. I am also the Co-
            Editor of the Apollo Flight Journal, and Contributing Editor for the
            Apollo Lunar Surface Journal, both online NASA publications. So,
            things get a bit busy at times (and I'm chronically behind!)...

            Anyway, time to run...

            All the best,

            Frank
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 29, 2005
              Thanks for the input, Frank, we appreciate it!  I didn't realize there were local politicians there; would have told them about our group.  Oh well.

              We definitely plan to log everything and take photographs.

              With a strict "look but don't touch!" agreement, we'd love to someday have you eventually display the Apollo system in our museum.

              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                Anyone else?  (See list below)

                10:00 is great, any later than 10:30 and we'll volunteer you for snacks duty.

                Speaking of which, if you do arrive once we're already downstairs, don't waste your time trying to call our cell phones -- they won't work down there.  What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already) is enter the main building, walk down the hall to your left, turn right at the end, walk through the main room, and take the stairs at the end on the right to go down.  Most important, especially if you're tall, WATCH YOUR HEADS down there.  I'm only 5-8 and learned this the difficult way!  Looooooow ceilings in the basement.

                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                  > Anyone else? (See list below)

                  I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
                  want to be driving home by 6.

                  Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                  will be getting in each others way?

                  Did they get the rest of the collection?

                  I saw the bring camera. Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
                  down on paper best? Anything else useful to bring?

                  > What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
                  > is enter the main building

                  Is it obvious which the main building is?

                  David Gesswein
                  http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                    >>> Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                    will be getting in each others way?

                    More people is better.  Moreover, you'll enjoy seeing the facility where our museum and VCF East will happen.

                    >>> Did they get the rest of the collection?

                    I think that's imminent, and I expect to hear from Fred about this in the nexy day or two.

                    >>> Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it down on paper best?

                    Totally up to you.  An electronic record will be simpler because it'll all got to be put in a database eventually, but using your laptop in a basement with a hard floor and all might not be a good idea.

                    Yes.  Just in case, here's a photo from when it was the brand-new Marconi headquartes in 1914: http://infoage.org/images/wa7ht-2.jpg ... today there's a tall fence around it, but the building looks almost identical.  Facing the building from Marconi Rd., park in the lot to the right side.  Then enter through the front door and follow the directions to the basement as described in my previous email.

                    I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
                    want to be driving home by 6.

                    Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                    will be getting in each others way?

                    Did they get the rest of the collection?

                    I saw the bring camera.  Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
                    down on paper best?  Anything else useful to bring?

                    > What you do instead (for
                    those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
                    > is enter the main
                    building

                    Is it obvious which the main building is?

                    David Gesswein
                    http://www.pdp8.net/  -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
                  • Chris M
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                      I can't actually guarantee I'll be there, but chances
                      are high. And of course if I am...I'll be late ;).
                      Unemployed hobos like me like to sleep late.
                      As to what to bring, I don't have a clue. If anyone
                      is specifically interested in a Tandy 1000...a ONE
                      followed by 3 ZEROS...I could bring that along, just
                      so I don't seem like a stiff. I don't really have that
                      much that anyone would want really. Anything non-pc is
                      basically in need of total overhaul. I think I have
                      some DEC books, but I'd even have to check that. I'm
                      open to suggestions.
                      Evan, just to be clear, we're talking about the
                      "hotel" where we met during the summer?

                      __________________________________
                      http://farechase.yahoo.com
                    • Evan
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                        >>> "hotel" where we met during the summer?
                        Yup.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                          David,
                          If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                          waiting for you...
                          Bill

                          At 05:31 PM 11/9/2005 -0500, you wrote:
                          > > Anyone else? (See list below)
                          > >
                          >I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
                          >want to be driving home by 6.
                          >
                          >Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                          >will be getting in each others way?
                          >
                          >Did they get the rest of the collection?
                          >
                          >I saw the bring camera. Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
                          >down on paper best? Anything else useful to bring?
                          >
                          > > What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
                          > > is enter the main building
                          > >
                          >Is it obvious which the main building is?
                          >
                          >David Gesswein
                          >http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
                          >

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • David Gesswein
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                            > If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                            > waiting for you...

                            I suspect my arrival time isn't going to be predictable enough to make that
                            worthwhile.

                            Do you know which model 8?
                          • John Allain
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                              > I think I have some DEC books, but I'd even have to check that.
                              > I'm open to suggestions.

                              Chris,
                              When John M. packed up the DECMate books there were a lot
                              of 2-of-a-kinds. If you could bring the dupes for me, that could
                              equal a nice contribution/donation.
                              John A.
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                I do not. It was dark, I assume it was a PDP/8 but I did not write it
                                down. There's a chance that it's not even a PDP/8...anyone remember?
                                bd

                                At 09:06 PM 11/9/2005 -0500, you wrote:
                                > > If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                                > > waiting for you...
                                > >
                                >I suspect my arrival time isn't going to be predictable enough to make that
                                >worthwhile.
                                >
                                >Do you know which model 8?
                                >

                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Evan
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                  David, I'm confused, do you still plan to attend?

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 10, 2005
                                    > David, I'm confused, do you still plan to attend?

                                    Yes. The not worthwhile was for somebody standing around outside waiting for
                                    me to show up since my arrival time is likely to be somewhat unpredictable.