Making disk images of Mac 68k copy-protected disks

  • Richard Cini
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2010
      Making disk images of Mac 68k copy-protected disks All --

          While I was looking for something, I came across a few games from my youth from my old Fat Mac. I thought about running them on vMac but IIRC, they are copy-protected disks. I’ve forgotten about all of this stuff over the years — what kind of tools do I need to make working disk images (aside from HVF Explorer)?

          Thanks!

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2010
        Rich,

        I don't know, but I would really like to know. This was discussed at the MARCH holiday party where Me, Andy and Bill Deg had our macs together and were fixing, playing games on our SE/30.  I had a Lode Runner disk that is copy protected and I was unsuccessful in copying it. I believe Ian Primus mentioned some program that could copy them, but I don't remember the name of it.

        Have you tried poking around some Mac specific sites ?

        Jeff

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 13, 2010
          Re: [midatlanticretro] Making disk images of Mac 68k copy-protected disks On 2/13/10 12:30 AM, "Jeffrey Brace" <ark72axow@...> wrote:

          I don't know, but I would really like to know. This was discussed at the MARCH holiday party where Me, Andy and Bill Deg had our macs together and were fixing, playing games on our SE/30.  I had a Lode Runner disk that is copy protected and I was unsuccessful in copying it. I believe Ian Primus mentioned some program that could copy them, but I don't remember the name of it.

          Have you tried poking around some Mac specific sites ?

          Jeff

             I did spend some time Googling, but I haven’t gotten a good search phrase yet. I think there was CopyIIMac (just like Copy II PC) but I don’t know if it worked in all cases. I’ll have to dig through my boxes again and see if I have that one.

              I also noticed that archives of commercial 68k Mac software is pretty rare, probably because of the fear of being sued by Apple. If you guys are coming to the CP/M workshop in April maybe we can look into this further?

          Rich