Re: Nov. 12 / update on who's attending? was: RE: [midatlanticretro] Another update from Fred @ Infoage

  • madodel@ptdprolog.net
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
      In <001701c5db5a$29ed14f0$6401a8c0@owneriywbc5o7y>, on 10/27/05 at 08:54
      PM,
      "Evan" <evan947@...> said:

      >I know it's still a couple of weeks away, just wondering if any of the
      >tenatives can confirm, and if others are interested. The work day
      >(starting at 10 AM) is an excellent time to bring anything from your
      >personal collections that needs storage space -- Fred assured me the room
      >where we'll be has shelves and a lock on the door -- it may even have
      >(gasp!) working electric lights. :)
      >
      >The list on Oct. 16 was thus:
      >- Me (Evan)
      >- John A.
      >- Bill D.
      >- John M. ("john-apw")
      >- Mark D. (tentative)

      Evan,

      I would definitely like to be there, but I may not be able to make it by
      10AM. How late are you planning to be there? if I got there by 11 or
      latest 12, would that be too late?

      Mark

      --

      From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

      Warpstock 2005, Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6 - 9, 2005 http://www.warpstock.org
      Warpstock Europe 2005, Dresden, Germany, Nov. 18-20 http://www.warpstock.net

      For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE - http://www.os2voice.org

      "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
        >>> Evan,

        I would definitely like to be there, but I may not be able to make it by 10AM.  How late are you planning to be there?  if I got there by 11 or latest 12, would that be too late?

        Mark

        That's fine, we'll be there all day.

        >I know it's still a couple of weeks away, just
        wondering if any of the
        >tenatives can confirm, and if others are
        interested.  The work day
        >(starting at 10 AM) is an excellent time
        to bring anything from your
        >personal collections that needs storage space
        -- Fred assured me the room
        >where we'll be has shelves and a lock on the
        door -- it may even have
        >(gasp!) working electric lights.
        :)

        >The list on Oct. 16 was thus:
        >- Me (Evan)
        >-
        John A.
        >- Bill D.
        >- John M. ("john-apw")
        >- Mark D.
        (tentative)

        Evan,

        I would definitely like to be there, but I may not be able to make it by
        10AM.  How late are you planning to be there?  if I got there by 11 or
        latest 12, would that be too late?

        Mark

      • John Allain
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
          I haven't raved about infoAge yet but I did go a week ago and it's a
          Fine place if you look at it a few months ahead. It's a really large
          building with lots of rooms for expansion. I don't know anything like
          a 5-year plan that they might have but this place could really grow!
          I saw 1 massive area with two more connected hallways, each hallway
          seeming to have at least 16 adequately sized rooms. Biig!

          I'm tempted to run some doorbell wire to the guardshack.
          There's like this 9 foot fence all the way around the building.
          It's a little *too* secure for unscheduled visits as I discovered ;}

          John A.
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
            Plus, they will soon carpet all those rooms.  Some of the rooms on the second floor are already carpeted... I bet you didn't see the second floor or the attic.  :)

            And that's just one building!  Infoage is getting the WHOLE BASE in time.

            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 28, 2005
              Should've been there in the old days...
              Took my kid to the doctor the other day and saw the area from the road for the first time since 86 or so when I supported all the DEC hardware down there.

              Geez... looks like it's seen better times (from the outside).  The buildings there were never much beyond WWII/Korea cinderblock or quonset hut stuff and the air conditioning for the machines was always marginal -- but they kept them painted and they looked a lot better
              than they do now.

              I'm sorry it took the Army, county and township this lo clean 'em up and turn them over.
              Had they got it in '88 or so at the first BRAC it would've been in "move in" conidition.

              Anyway, I wonder what's going to happen with the Hexagon (Myers Center) in Eatontown/Tinton Falls... and the stuff on the Little Silver - Oceanport line when the BRAC closing happens.

              The Myers center is a 5 story building with full Auditiorium with all the AV trimmings
              and pretty good computer rooms (Libert AC and such).

              Boy it would make  a good college/trade school/museum -- but it'll probably go to condos like the Cecom building.  The Cecom building was leased and it used to house a number of IBM mainframes for the Fort.  (being buldozed for more adult condos )

              Bill

              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 28, 2005
                Hi all,

                I just got home from tonight's party at Infoage.  It was a very good night for MARCH.

                Fred had told me about the improvements to the main room of the "hotel" building (where we were in August and where VCF East will be, as explained in the message below), but when I saw it for myself tonight, I was blown away!  The room looks MUCH better.  Back in August it was dirty, mostly unpainted, lots of broken tiles, even some large gaps in the floor.  No longer!  The old tile is gone, the floor is filled in, and it's all covered in decent-looking light gray paint.  At this point it looks quite presentable, and they didn't even install the carpeting yet.  It's much easier now to visualize us holding VCF next spring in this room.

                They also gave tours of the attic tonight -- we already saw the second floor but never the attic.  Back during WWII, there were several small, secret rooms installed in the attic and the rooms were all surrounded by metal wire shielding so they could develop RADAR without outside interference.  If you think the basement is cool, wait until ya'll see the attic someday.

                John M. (john_apw to most of us): tonight I got into the room where you dropped off the recent haul.  At first Fred thought we were locked out of there, but then we realized the adjacent room was unlocked and you can walk between the rooms. :)   Fred also pointed out the far end of the basement that you told me about.

                Back in the main room, during the party, I met three people who are interested in our club.  One guy (Leo Assur) said he might know a local place getting rid of multiple Prime and General Electric computers.  Good stuff!

                I also ran into Frank, aka the guy who owns the Apollo command computer.  He and a friend of his (Joe Levy) might come to our Nov. 12 work day.  Frank was able to identify many of the things in the basement (Grabbe) collection that we previously could not identify.  For example, those two small but HEAVY cylindrical things which we thought were either drive units or mini-supercomputer cores -- he said those are "cells" (not sure what that means exactly) from an IBM 20-somthing system.  Sorry I didn't get the details... the good news is Frank is readily accessible and not a gray-hair, so he'll be around to help us for a long time.

                - Evan

                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 29, 2005
                  Hey folks;

                  Saw this note, thought it would be good to reply..

                  > I just got home from tonight's party at Infoage. It was a very
                  good night
                  > for MARCH.

                  Yeah, it really was a super get together. It's essential for more of
                  the MARCH'ers to attend functions like this, if only to see what goes
                  on in such a large, grass-roots project. Plus meeting and greeting
                  our core group of supporters (including the local political
                  officials, some who have "kept the faith" for a decade or more) is
                  absolutely key, both to show them who you are, and to demonstrate
                  a "wide and deep" level of support for Infoage. Remember - Fred,
                  myself and many other folks essentially saved the site from being
                  turned into condos and stip malls. By attending these functions
                  demonstrates to the local city officials that their decisions were
                  not a mistake. Plus, hey, you may get your picture in the paper!

                  > Fred had told me about the improvements to the main room of
                  the "hotel"
                  > building (where we were in August and where VCF East will be, as
                  explained
                  > in the message below), but when I saw it for myself tonight, I was
                  blown
                  > away! The room looks MUCH better. Back in August it was dirty,
                  mostly
                  > unpainted, lots of broken tiles, even some large gaps in the
                  floor. No
                  > longer! The old tile is gone, the floor is filled in, and it's all
                  covered
                  > in decent-looking light gray paint. At this point it looks quite
                  > presentable, and they didn't even install the carpeting yet. It's
                  much
                  > easier now to visualize us holding VCF next spring in this room.

                  Yeah, the Dining Room (as it was originally known as) has been
                  improved tremendously. It still needs a real paint job (the existing
                  job hides a multitude of sins, but it honestly needs to be done
                  right). Hopefully I'll get that done in the next month or so....

                  > I also ran into Frank, aka the guy who owns the Apollo command
                  computer. He
                  > and a friend of his (Joe Levy) might come to our Nov. 12 work day.

                  We'll see what happens - but I'm sure we can work something out. Joe
                  and I worked on a lot of this stuff "back in the day" - so there is a
                  lot we can add. Key to this is going to be recording this info - you
                  *are* planning on videotaping, photographing and logging all this
                  info, aren't you? If not, I belive there is a good document that the
                  Smithsonian has put together on this kind of archiving. It's a
                  standard that we need to be working at. This is the necessary kind of
                  professionalism that is key to Infoage. Hey, we may be small, poor
                  and have rooms that need a lot of paint, but that's no excuse for not
                  operating at a level that would make the Smithsoniam proud!

                  > Frank
                  > was able to identify many of the things in the basement (Grabbe)
                  collection
                  > that we previously could not identify. For example, those two
                  small but
                  > HEAVY cylindrical things which we thought were either drive units or
                  > mini-supercomputer cores -- he said those are "cells" (not sure
                  what that
                  > means exactly) from an IBM 20-somthing system.

                  Mini-supercomputer cores ???

                  I'm almost sure they are units from an IBM 2321 Data Cell. They were
                  really quite remarkable devices, the very few times they worked right
                  (not unlike their 3850 Mass Storage System :-) ). Now, those brought
                  up in the PC era have little concept of "removeable storage" in the
                  old mainframe sense, but it was a huge part of data processing "back
                  in the day". Data Cells were like slices of pie, with several megs of
                  data on a continous tape. The tape was somewhat addressable, not
                  completely unlike DECTape. So, you had the density and cost/bit of
                  tape, and almost the random access of disk. When running work, you
                  mounted up your Data Cell Cartridge(s), and you were off. That is,
                  until they broke, which is one of the many reasons why we don't look
                  lovingly at Data Cells today....

                  >the good news is Frank is readily accessible and not a gray-hair,
                  > so he'll be around to help us for a long time.

                  This is good to hear, I guess... however, my beard is more white than
                  other colors....

                  My availability is actually a bit limited - I work at another museum
                  (the Cradle of Aviation on Long Island, specializing in the Lunar
                  Module), and my usual Dickensonian work schedule. I am also the Co-
                  Editor of the Apollo Flight Journal, and Contributing Editor for the
                  Apollo Lunar Surface Journal, both online NASA publications. So,
                  things get a bit busy at times (and I'm chronically behind!)...

                  Anyway, time to run...

                  All the best,

                  Frank
                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 29, 2005
                    Thanks for the input, Frank, we appreciate it!  I didn't realize there were local politicians there; would have told them about our group.  Oh well.

                    We definitely plan to log everything and take photographs.

                    With a strict "look but don't touch!" agreement, we'd love to someday have you eventually display the Apollo system in our museum.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                      Anyone else?  (See list below)

                      10:00 is great, any later than 10:30 and we'll volunteer you for snacks duty.

                      Speaking of which, if you do arrive once we're already downstairs, don't waste your time trying to call our cell phones -- they won't work down there.  What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already) is enter the main building, walk down the hall to your left, turn right at the end, walk through the main room, and take the stairs at the end on the right to go down.  Most important, especially if you're tall, WATCH YOUR HEADS down there.  I'm only 5-8 and learned this the difficult way!  Looooooow ceilings in the basement.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                        > Anyone else? (See list below)

                        I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
                        want to be driving home by 6.

                        Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                        will be getting in each others way?

                        Did they get the rest of the collection?

                        I saw the bring camera. Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
                        down on paper best? Anything else useful to bring?

                        > What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
                        > is enter the main building

                        Is it obvious which the main building is?

                        David Gesswein
                        http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
                      • Evan
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                          >>> Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                          will be getting in each others way?

                          More people is better.  Moreover, you'll enjoy seeing the facility where our museum and VCF East will happen.

                          >>> Did they get the rest of the collection?

                          I think that's imminent, and I expect to hear from Fred about this in the nexy day or two.

                          >>> Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it down on paper best?

                          Totally up to you.  An electronic record will be simpler because it'll all got to be put in a database eventually, but using your laptop in a basement with a hard floor and all might not be a good idea.

                          Yes.  Just in case, here's a photo from when it was the brand-new Marconi headquartes in 1914: http://infoage.org/images/wa7ht-2.jpg ... today there's a tall fence around it, but the building looks almost identical.  Facing the building from Marconi Rd., park in the lot to the right side.  Then enter through the front door and follow the directions to the basement as described in my previous email.

                          I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
                          want to be driving home by 6.

                          Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                          will be getting in each others way?

                          Did they get the rest of the collection?

                          I saw the bring camera.  Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
                          down on paper best?  Anything else useful to bring?

                          > What you do instead (for
                          those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
                          > is enter the main
                          building

                          Is it obvious which the main building is?

                          David Gesswein
                          http://www.pdp8.net/  -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
                        • Chris M
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                            I can't actually guarantee I'll be there, but chances
                            are high. And of course if I am...I'll be late ;).
                            Unemployed hobos like me like to sleep late.
                            As to what to bring, I don't have a clue. If anyone
                            is specifically interested in a Tandy 1000...a ONE
                            followed by 3 ZEROS...I could bring that along, just
                            so I don't seem like a stiff. I don't really have that
                            much that anyone would want really. Anything non-pc is
                            basically in need of total overhaul. I think I have
                            some DEC books, but I'd even have to check that. I'm
                            open to suggestions.
                            Evan, just to be clear, we're talking about the
                            "hotel" where we met during the summer?

                            __________________________________
                            http://farechase.yahoo.com
                          • Evan
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                              >>> "hotel" where we met during the summer?
                              Yup.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                David,
                                If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                                waiting for you...
                                Bill

                                At 05:31 PM 11/9/2005 -0500, you wrote:
                                > > Anyone else? (See list below)
                                > >
                                >I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
                                >want to be driving home by 6.
                                >
                                >Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                                >will be getting in each others way?
                                >
                                >Did they get the rest of the collection?
                                >
                                >I saw the bring camera. Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
                                >down on paper best? Anything else useful to bring?
                                >
                                > > What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
                                > > is enter the main building
                                > >
                                >Is it obvious which the main building is?
                                >
                                >David Gesswein
                                >http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
                                >

                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • David Gesswein
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                  > If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                                  > waiting for you...

                                  I suspect my arrival time isn't going to be predictable enough to make that
                                  worthwhile.

                                  Do you know which model 8?
                                • John Allain
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                    > I think I have some DEC books, but I'd even have to check that.
                                    > I'm open to suggestions.

                                    Chris,
                                    When John M. packed up the DECMate books there were a lot
                                    of 2-of-a-kinds. If you could bring the dupes for me, that could
                                    equal a nice contribution/donation.
                                    John A.
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                      I do not. It was dark, I assume it was a PDP/8 but I did not write it
                                      down. There's a chance that it's not even a PDP/8...anyone remember?
                                      bd

                                      At 09:06 PM 11/9/2005 -0500, you wrote:
                                      > > If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                                      > > waiting for you...
                                      > >
                                      >I suspect my arrival time isn't going to be predictable enough to make that
                                      >worthwhile.
                                      >
                                      >Do you know which model 8?
                                      >

                                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • Evan
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                        David, I'm confused, do you still plan to attend?

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 10, 2005
                                          > David, I'm confused, do you still plan to attend?

                                          Yes. The not worthwhile was for somebody standing around outside waiting for
                                          me to show up since my arrival time is likely to be somewhat unpredictable.