Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: MARCHins vs. Snowmageddon!

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
      Jeffrey Frady <Legodude522@...> writes:

      >On my way home now from work. 195 in NJ doesn't even seem like it was
      >ever plowed. Got out of work at 3 and we had the company snowball fight

      Where is where work and home?

      "And though it seems they smile with glee, I know in truth they envy me
      and watch as my befuddled brain, shines on brightly quite insane"
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
        I'm ok. I had to go into work today. But first I had to wake up early to help my brother shovel out the end of my driveway because the plows blocked us in. First I was at the West Long Branch, NJ location, then drove to the Brick, NJ location at around 12pm.  The roads were ok up until 1:30pm or so. It was rain and sleet up until that point, then switched to heavy snow. I left around 3pm and drove slowly on the parkway. Mostly everyone was in one lane. Lots of tractors plowing big chucks. A few people spun out into guardrails etc. stuck in the snow. I got home ok and am now just resting and relaxing. Tomorrow morning I will shovel etc. and don't look forward to that ! Sad smiley emoticon

        I wonder where the plows are going to put all the new snow. I know some parking lots loaded up dump trucks with snow and moved it somewhere else (I assume a less used part of the parking or dump in the river) in preparation for this storm.

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
          On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Barry L. Kline wrote:

          > Mike Loewen wrote:
          >
          >> We only had 14" over the weekend and another 3" last night in State
          >> College. We were expected to have a foot by tomorrow morning, but it
          >> doesn't look like it.
          >
          > I hope that you knocked on wood after you typed that. It's coming down
          > buckets over here in Huntingdon Mike and if it crosses the mountain,
          > you're in for it!

          Nah, it looks like it's going to stay on your side of the ridge. :-)
          At any rate, my snowblower and I are ready.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
            A lot of slush, but Top of the Rock is open and the view is awesome

            --- On Wed, 2/10/10, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

            > Must be fun to wander Manhattan in the snow .... I used to
            > have lots of
            > fun in this weather when I lived in downtown Boston.

          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
              I bet you guys wished you had this

              http://hackaday.com/2010/02/01/snow-blower-robot/

            • Bryan Pope
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                On 2/10/2010 6:01 PM, Christian Liendo wrote:
                > I bet you guys wished you had this
                >
                > http://hackaday.com/2010/02/01/snow-blower-robot/

                skynet whatcouldpossiblygowrong

                Cheers,

                Bryan
              • Jeffrey Frady
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                  Hello VAXman, to clarify, I work in Hightstown and live in Jackson.  And then if I continue going east on 195, I'd hit InfoAge.

                  --
                  See you space cowboy...
                • David Gesswein
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                    > How's everyone holding up? Especially those in MD/DC areas ...
                    > Gesswein, Sudbrink, etc.

                    Not too bad. Have about 2 feet 4 inches. Didn't go to work monday since my
                    street wasn't plowed. Took today off also. At least I had power. A friend
                    lost it friday night and didn't get it back until tuesday. I have a tree
                    down in the back yard but it didn't hit anything so just more for the
                    todo list.
                  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 11, 2010
                      David Gesswein <djg@...> writes:

                      >> How's everyone holding up? Especially those in MD/DC areas ... >
                      >Gesswein, Sudbrink, etc. > Not too bad. Have about 2 feet 4 inches.
                      >Didn't go to work monday since my street wasn't plowed. Took today off
                      >also. At least I had power. A friend lost it friday night and didn't get
                      >it back until tuesday. I have a tree down in the back yard but it didn't
                      >hit anything so just more for the todo list.

                      The comms lines from the poll to the house were quite ice ladden here and
                      hanging quite low. I took a long piece of wood and knocked off the ice.
                      A couple of power hits here too. Nothing more than about 5 minute without
                      power. Fortunately, I have 2 2200VA UPS each with external extra battery
                      units. I'm good for about 8 hours, with reduced load, on those.

                      As soon as we're shovelled out from this one, there's more on the way too.

                      "And though it seems they smile with glee, I know in truth they envy me
                      and watch as my befuddled brain, shines on brightly quite insane"
                    • Bob Schwier
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 11, 2010
                        Lets see, I'm finally recovering from this morning's exercise regimen.  My car
                        is free but I hope I can get to the garage before March.
                        Fourth time this week.
                        bs