Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: MARCHins vs. Snowmageddon!

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
      Jeffrey Frady <Legodude522@...> writes:

      >On my way home now from work. 195 in NJ doesn't even seem like it was
      >ever plowed. Got out of work at 3 and we had the company snowball fight

      Where is where work and home?

      "And though it seems they smile with glee, I know in truth they envy me
      and watch as my befuddled brain, shines on brightly quite insane"
    • Barry L. Kline
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
        Mike Loewen wrote:

        > We only had 14" over the weekend and another 3" last night in State
        > College. We were expected to have a foot by tomorrow morning, but it
        > doesn't look like it.

        I hope that you knocked on wood after you typed that. It's coming down
        buckets over here in Huntingdon Mike and if it crosses the mountain,
        you're in for it!

        Barry

        --
      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
          I'm ok. I had to go into work today. But first I had to wake up early to help my brother shovel out the end of my driveway because the plows blocked us in. First I was at the West Long Branch, NJ location, then drove to the Brick, NJ location at around 12pm.  The roads were ok up until 1:30pm or so. It was rain and sleet up until that point, then switched to heavy snow. I left around 3pm and drove slowly on the parkway. Mostly everyone was in one lane. Lots of tractors plowing big chucks. A few people spun out into guardrails etc. stuck in the snow. I got home ok and am now just resting and relaxing. Tomorrow morning I will shovel etc. and don't look forward to that ! Sad smiley emoticon

          I wonder where the plows are going to put all the new snow. I know some parking lots loaded up dump trucks with snow and moved it somewhere else (I assume a less used part of the parking or dump in the river) in preparation for this storm.

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
            On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Barry L. Kline wrote:

            > Mike Loewen wrote:
            >
            >> We only had 14" over the weekend and another 3" last night in State
            >> College. We were expected to have a foot by tomorrow morning, but it
            >> doesn't look like it.
            >
            > I hope that you knocked on wood after you typed that. It's coming down
            > buckets over here in Huntingdon Mike and if it crosses the mountain,
            > you're in for it!

            Nah, it looks like it's going to stay on your side of the ridge. :-)
            At any rate, my snowblower and I are ready.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
              A lot of slush, but Top of the Rock is open and the view is awesome

              --- On Wed, 2/10/10, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

              > Must be fun to wander Manhattan in the snow .... I used to
              > have lots of
              > fun in this weather when I lived in downtown Boston.

            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                I bet you guys wished you had this

                http://hackaday.com/2010/02/01/snow-blower-robot/

              • Bryan Pope
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                  On 2/10/2010 6:01 PM, Christian Liendo wrote:
                  > I bet you guys wished you had this
                  >
                  > http://hackaday.com/2010/02/01/snow-blower-robot/

                  skynet whatcouldpossiblygowrong

                  Cheers,

                  Bryan
                • Jeffrey Frady
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                    Hello VAXman, to clarify, I work in Hightstown and live in Jackson.  And then if I continue going east on 195, I'd hit InfoAge.

                    On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- <VAXman@...> wrote:

                    Jeffrey Frady <Legodude522@...> writes:

                    >On my way home now from work. 195 in NJ doesn't even seem like it was
                    >ever plowed. Got out of work at 3 and we had the company snowball fight

                    Where is where work and home?

                    "And though it seems they smile with glee, I know in truth they envy me
                    and watch as my befuddled brain, shines on brightly quite insane"

                    --
                    See you space cowboy...
                  • David Gesswein
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                      > How's everyone holding up? Especially those in MD/DC areas ...
                      > Gesswein, Sudbrink, etc.

                      Not too bad. Have about 2 feet 4 inches. Didn't go to work monday since my
                      street wasn't plowed. Took today off also. At least I had power. A friend
                      lost it friday night and didn't get it back until tuesday. I have a tree
                      down in the back yard but it didn't hit anything so just more for the
                      todo list.
                    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 11, 2010
                        David Gesswein <djg@...> writes:

                        >> How's everyone holding up? Especially those in MD/DC areas ... >
                        >Gesswein, Sudbrink, etc. > Not too bad. Have about 2 feet 4 inches.
                        >Didn't go to work monday since my street wasn't plowed. Took today off
                        >also. At least I had power. A friend lost it friday night and didn't get
                        >it back until tuesday. I have a tree down in the back yard but it didn't
                        >hit anything so just more for the todo list.

                        The comms lines from the poll to the house were quite ice ladden here and
                        hanging quite low. I took a long piece of wood and knocked off the ice.
                        A couple of power hits here too. Nothing more than about 5 minute without
                        power. Fortunately, I have 2 2200VA UPS each with external extra battery
                        units. I'm good for about 8 hours, with reduced load, on those.

                        As soon as we're shovelled out from this one, there's more on the way too.

                        "And though it seems they smile with glee, I know in truth they envy me
                        and watch as my befuddled brain, shines on brightly quite insane"
                      • Bob Schwier
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 11, 2010
                          Lets see, I'm finally recovering from this morning's exercise regimen.  My car
                          is free but I hope I can get to the garage before March.
                          Fourth time this week.
                          bs