Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: MARCHins vs. Snowmageddon!

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
      Jeffrey Frady <Legodude522@...> writes:

      >On my way home now from work. 195 in NJ doesn't even seem like it was
      >ever plowed. Got out of work at 3 and we had the company snowball fight

      Where is where work and home?

      "And though it seems they smile with glee, I know in truth they envy me
      and watch as my befuddled brain, shines on brightly quite insane"
    • Bob Schwier
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
        I could use some falling tree limbs.  I have two days, maybe three, of cut
        firewood and all of the uncut stuff lies under snow that somehow shoveling
        to and then hitting with an ax seems to be inviting heart attack.
        Since school was canceled again, I'll wait until morning to bother to shovel
        out the walk and car.
        bs

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
          evan@... wrote:
          > How's everyone holding up? Especially those in MD/DC areas ... Gesswein, Sudbrink, etc.
          >
          > Unfortunately I work from home so I couldn't take off today! Otherwise I'd be outside making a "snow Pac-Man" or whatever. :)

          South Eastern PA is hardest hit. It's amazing out here. A once in a
          generation snow. I was out in the back with the chain saw in about 2
          feet of snow, cutting up some last-minute firewood.

          Bill
        • Barry L. Kline
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
            Mike Loewen wrote:

            > We only had 14" over the weekend and another 3" last night in State
            > College. We were expected to have a foot by tomorrow morning, but it
            > doesn't look like it.

            I hope that you knocked on wood after you typed that. It's coming down
            buckets over here in Huntingdon Mike and if it crosses the mountain,
            you're in for it!

            Barry

            --
          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
              I'm ok. I had to go into work today. But first I had to wake up early to help my brother shovel out the end of my driveway because the plows blocked us in. First I was at the West Long Branch, NJ location, then drove to the Brick, NJ location at around 12pm.  The roads were ok up until 1:30pm or so. It was rain and sleet up until that point, then switched to heavy snow. I left around 3pm and drove slowly on the parkway. Mostly everyone was in one lane. Lots of tractors plowing big chucks. A few people spun out into guardrails etc. stuck in the snow. I got home ok and am now just resting and relaxing. Tomorrow morning I will shovel etc. and don't look forward to that ! Sad smiley emoticon

              I wonder where the plows are going to put all the new snow. I know some parking lots loaded up dump trucks with snow and moved it somewhere else (I assume a less used part of the parking or dump in the river) in preparation for this storm.

              How's everyone holding up? Especially those in MD/DC areas ... Gesswein, Sudbrink, etc.

              Unfortunately I work from home so I couldn't take off today! Otherwise I'd be outside making a "snow Pac-Man" or whatever. :)

            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Barry L. Kline wrote:

                > Mike Loewen wrote:
                >
                >> We only had 14" over the weekend and another 3" last night in State
                >> College. We were expected to have a foot by tomorrow morning, but it
                >> doesn't look like it.
                >
                > I hope that you knocked on wood after you typed that. It's coming down
                > buckets over here in Huntingdon Mike and if it crosses the mountain,
                > you're in for it!

                Nah, it looks like it's going to stay on your side of the ridge. :-)
                At any rate, my snowblower and I are ready.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                  A lot of slush, but Top of the Rock is open and the view is awesome

                  --- On Wed, 2/10/10, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                  > Must be fun to wander Manhattan in the snow .... I used to
                  > have lots of
                  > fun in this weather when I lived in downtown Boston.

                • Christian Liendo
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                    I bet you guys wished you had this

                    http://hackaday.com/2010/02/01/snow-blower-robot/

                  • Bryan Pope
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                      On 2/10/2010 6:01 PM, Christian Liendo wrote:
                      > I bet you guys wished you had this
                      >
                      > http://hackaday.com/2010/02/01/snow-blower-robot/

                      skynet whatcouldpossiblygowrong

                      Cheers,

                      Bryan
                    • Jeffrey Frady
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                        Hello VAXman, to clarify, I work in Hightstown and live in Jackson.  And then if I continue going east on 195, I'd hit InfoAge.

                        On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- <VAXman@...> wrote:

                        Jeffrey Frady <Legodude522@...> writes:

                        >On my way home now from work. 195 in NJ doesn't even seem like it was
                        >ever plowed. Got out of work at 3 and we had the company snowball fight

                        Where is where work and home?

                        "And though it seems they smile with glee, I know in truth they envy me
                        and watch as my befuddled brain, shines on brightly quite insane"

                        --
                        See you space cowboy...
                      • David Gesswein
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                          > How's everyone holding up? Especially those in MD/DC areas ...
                          > Gesswein, Sudbrink, etc.

                          Not too bad. Have about 2 feet 4 inches. Didn't go to work monday since my
                          street wasn't plowed. Took today off also. At least I had power. A friend
                          lost it friday night and didn't get it back until tuesday. I have a tree
                          down in the back yard but it didn't hit anything so just more for the
                          todo list.
                        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 11, 2010
                            David Gesswein <djg@...> writes:

                            >> How's everyone holding up? Especially those in MD/DC areas ... >
                            >Gesswein, Sudbrink, etc. > Not too bad. Have about 2 feet 4 inches.
                            >Didn't go to work monday since my street wasn't plowed. Took today off
                            >also. At least I had power. A friend lost it friday night and didn't get
                            >it back until tuesday. I have a tree down in the back yard but it didn't
                            >hit anything so just more for the todo list.

                            The comms lines from the poll to the house were quite ice ladden here and
                            hanging quite low. I took a long piece of wood and knocked off the ice.
                            A couple of power hits here too. Nothing more than about 5 minute without
                            power. Fortunately, I have 2 2200VA UPS each with external extra battery
                            units. I'm good for about 8 hours, with reduced load, on those.

                            As soon as we're shovelled out from this one, there's more on the way too.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 11, 2010
                              Lets see, I'm finally recovering from this morning's exercise regimen.  My car
                              is free but I hope I can get to the garage before March.
                              Fourth time this week.
                              bs