Re: Nov. 12 / update on who's attending? was: RE: [midatlanticretro] Another update from Fred @ Infoage

  • madodel@ptdprolog.net
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
      In <001701c5db5a$29ed14f0$6401a8c0@owneriywbc5o7y>, on 10/27/05 at 08:54
      PM,
      "Evan" <evan947@...> said:

      >I know it's still a couple of weeks away, just wondering if any of the
      >tenatives can confirm, and if others are interested. The work day
      >(starting at 10 AM) is an excellent time to bring anything from your
      >personal collections that needs storage space -- Fred assured me the room
      >where we'll be has shelves and a lock on the door -- it may even have
      >(gasp!) working electric lights. :)
      >
      >The list on Oct. 16 was thus:
      >- Me (Evan)
      >- John A.
      >- Bill D.
      >- John M. ("john-apw")
      >- Mark D. (tentative)

      Evan,

      I would definitely like to be there, but I may not be able to make it by
      10AM. How late are you planning to be there? if I got there by 11 or
      latest 12, would that be too late?

      Mark

      --

      From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

      Warpstock 2005, Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6 - 9, 2005 http://www.warpstock.org
      Warpstock Europe 2005, Dresden, Germany, Nov. 18-20 http://www.warpstock.net

      For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE - http://www.os2voice.org

      "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
        That's great Bob, thank you!  TCF supplies its own tables but we'll certainly use it for VCF and the museum.  :)

        Okay, so, a good point -- strong folding tables are an acceptable substitute for cash!

           I will be there.  Also, I plan to donate a nice, fairly
        new folding table instead of cash.  I hope that will be OK.  It could
        be useful at places like TCF, or maybe just at InfoAge.

           Bob Grieb

        --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

        > I know it's still a couple of weeks away, just wondering if
        any of
        > the
        > tenatives can confirm, and if others are
        interested.  The work day
        > (starting
        > at 10 AM) is an
        excellent time to bring anything from your personal
        > collections that
        needs storage space -- Fred assured me the room
        > where we'll
        > be
        has shelves and a lock on the door -- it may even have (gasp!)

        working
        > electric lights.  :)

        > The list on
        Oct. 16 was thus:
        > - Me (Evan)
        > - John A.
        > - Bill
        D.
        > - John M. ("john-apw")
        > - Mark D. (tentative)
        > - Bob
        Grieb (tentative)
        > - Joe G. & friends

        > Who'd I
        forget?

        midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
          >>> Evan,

          I would definitely like to be there, but I may not be able to make it by 10AM.  How late are you planning to be there?  if I got there by 11 or latest 12, would that be too late?

          Mark

          That's fine, we'll be there all day.

          >I know it's still a couple of weeks away, just
          wondering if any of the
          >tenatives can confirm, and if others are
          interested.  The work day
          >(starting at 10 AM) is an excellent time
          to bring anything from your
          >personal collections that needs storage space
          -- Fred assured me the room
          >where we'll be has shelves and a lock on the
          door -- it may even have
          >(gasp!) working electric lights.
          :)

          >The list on Oct. 16 was thus:
          >- Me (Evan)
          >-
          John A.
          >- Bill D.
          >- John M. ("john-apw")
          >- Mark D.
          (tentative)

          Evan,

          I would definitely like to be there, but I may not be able to make it by
          10AM.  How late are you planning to be there?  if I got there by 11 or
          latest 12, would that be too late?

          Mark

        • John Allain
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
            I haven't raved about infoAge yet but I did go a week ago and it's a
            Fine place if you look at it a few months ahead. It's a really large
            building with lots of rooms for expansion. I don't know anything like
            a 5-year plan that they might have but this place could really grow!
            I saw 1 massive area with two more connected hallways, each hallway
            seeming to have at least 16 adequately sized rooms. Biig!

            I'm tempted to run some doorbell wire to the guardshack.
            There's like this 9 foot fence all the way around the building.
            It's a little *too* secure for unscheduled visits as I discovered ;}

            John A.
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
              Plus, they will soon carpet all those rooms.  Some of the rooms on the second floor are already carpeted... I bet you didn't see the second floor or the attic.  :)

              And that's just one building!  Infoage is getting the WHOLE BASE in time.

              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 28, 2005
                Should've been there in the old days...
                Took my kid to the doctor the other day and saw the area from the road for the first time since 86 or so when I supported all the DEC hardware down there.

                Geez... looks like it's seen better times (from the outside).  The buildings there were never much beyond WWII/Korea cinderblock or quonset hut stuff and the air conditioning for the machines was always marginal -- but they kept them painted and they looked a lot better
                than they do now.

                I'm sorry it took the Army, county and township this lo clean 'em up and turn them over.
                Had they got it in '88 or so at the first BRAC it would've been in "move in" conidition.

                Anyway, I wonder what's going to happen with the Hexagon (Myers Center) in Eatontown/Tinton Falls... and the stuff on the Little Silver - Oceanport line when the BRAC closing happens.

                The Myers center is a 5 story building with full Auditiorium with all the AV trimmings
                and pretty good computer rooms (Libert AC and such).

                Boy it would make  a good college/trade school/museum -- but it'll probably go to condos like the Cecom building.  The Cecom building was leased and it used to house a number of IBM mainframes for the Fort.  (being buldozed for more adult condos )

                Bill

                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 28, 2005
                  Hi all,

                  I just got home from tonight's party at Infoage.  It was a very good night for MARCH.

                  Fred had told me about the improvements to the main room of the "hotel" building (where we were in August and where VCF East will be, as explained in the message below), but when I saw it for myself tonight, I was blown away!  The room looks MUCH better.  Back in August it was dirty, mostly unpainted, lots of broken tiles, even some large gaps in the floor.  No longer!  The old tile is gone, the floor is filled in, and it's all covered in decent-looking light gray paint.  At this point it looks quite presentable, and they didn't even install the carpeting yet.  It's much easier now to visualize us holding VCF next spring in this room.

                  They also gave tours of the attic tonight -- we already saw the second floor but never the attic.  Back during WWII, there were several small, secret rooms installed in the attic and the rooms were all surrounded by metal wire shielding so they could develop RADAR without outside interference.  If you think the basement is cool, wait until ya'll see the attic someday.

                  John M. (john_apw to most of us): tonight I got into the room where you dropped off the recent haul.  At first Fred thought we were locked out of there, but then we realized the adjacent room was unlocked and you can walk between the rooms. :)   Fred also pointed out the far end of the basement that you told me about.

                  Back in the main room, during the party, I met three people who are interested in our club.  One guy (Leo Assur) said he might know a local place getting rid of multiple Prime and General Electric computers.  Good stuff!

                  I also ran into Frank, aka the guy who owns the Apollo command computer.  He and a friend of his (Joe Levy) might come to our Nov. 12 work day.  Frank was able to identify many of the things in the basement (Grabbe) collection that we previously could not identify.  For example, those two small but HEAVY cylindrical things which we thought were either drive units or mini-supercomputer cores -- he said those are "cells" (not sure what that means exactly) from an IBM 20-somthing system.  Sorry I didn't get the details... the good news is Frank is readily accessible and not a gray-hair, so he'll be around to help us for a long time.

                  - Evan

                  - There is a good chance the second half of the Grabbe collection will be
                  transferred by early November, meaning it'll be ready for our Nov. 12 work
                  day
                  - The floor of the "hotel" area (main building) had its holes patched and
                  was painted with a gray sealant (carpet to come early next year, I think)
                  - Fred will get the basement lights working for Nov. 12 and we'll move ALL
                  of our collection to one secure room with shelves
                  - A reminder: this Friday (Oct. 28) is an Infoage social event for anyone
                  who supports the overall projects and their families.

                  The original email about this Friday (radio club version but applies to
                  MARCH as well):

                  >>> Most of you should have received an invitation to the
                  InfoAge Member
                  Mixer at 7:30 PM Friday evening, October 28 at the Marconi Hotel, Camp
                  Evans, Wall, NJ.  If not, consider this your invitation and/or urge that you
                  attend.  InfoAge is very important to NJARC and is quickly gathering steam.
                  It is vital that we show our physical and financial support and we can have
                  a good time while we are at it.  Come meet other InfoAge supporters, you do
                  not need to be a member, all that is required is that you have an interest
                  in making this project successful.  Please RSVP no later than October 21,
                  2005 by calling 732-776-6261.  Indicate the number of people in your party
                  and leave a name and phone number.  Admission is $10.00 per person, attire
                  is casual and refreshments will be served.  Hope to see you there.

                  I'll probably go for a couple of hours.  Would be nice to see other MARCHers
                  there.  Anyone interested?

                • Frank_OBrien
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 29, 2005
                    Hey folks;

                    Saw this note, thought it would be good to reply..

                    > I just got home from tonight's party at Infoage. It was a very
                    good night
                    > for MARCH.

                    Yeah, it really was a super get together. It's essential for more of
                    the MARCH'ers to attend functions like this, if only to see what goes
                    on in such a large, grass-roots project. Plus meeting and greeting
                    our core group of supporters (including the local political
                    officials, some who have "kept the faith" for a decade or more) is
                    absolutely key, both to show them who you are, and to demonstrate
                    a "wide and deep" level of support for Infoage. Remember - Fred,
                    myself and many other folks essentially saved the site from being
                    turned into condos and stip malls. By attending these functions
                    demonstrates to the local city officials that their decisions were
                    not a mistake. Plus, hey, you may get your picture in the paper!

                    > Fred had told me about the improvements to the main room of
                    the "hotel"
                    > building (where we were in August and where VCF East will be, as
                    explained
                    > in the message below), but when I saw it for myself tonight, I was
                    blown
                    > away! The room looks MUCH better. Back in August it was dirty,
                    mostly
                    > unpainted, lots of broken tiles, even some large gaps in the
                    floor. No
                    > longer! The old tile is gone, the floor is filled in, and it's all
                    covered
                    > in decent-looking light gray paint. At this point it looks quite
                    > presentable, and they didn't even install the carpeting yet. It's
                    much
                    > easier now to visualize us holding VCF next spring in this room.

                    Yeah, the Dining Room (as it was originally known as) has been
                    improved tremendously. It still needs a real paint job (the existing
                    job hides a multitude of sins, but it honestly needs to be done
                    right). Hopefully I'll get that done in the next month or so....

                    > I also ran into Frank, aka the guy who owns the Apollo command
                    computer. He
                    > and a friend of his (Joe Levy) might come to our Nov. 12 work day.

                    We'll see what happens - but I'm sure we can work something out. Joe
                    and I worked on a lot of this stuff "back in the day" - so there is a
                    lot we can add. Key to this is going to be recording this info - you
                    *are* planning on videotaping, photographing and logging all this
                    info, aren't you? If not, I belive there is a good document that the
                    Smithsonian has put together on this kind of archiving. It's a
                    standard that we need to be working at. This is the necessary kind of
                    professionalism that is key to Infoage. Hey, we may be small, poor
                    and have rooms that need a lot of paint, but that's no excuse for not
                    operating at a level that would make the Smithsoniam proud!

                    > Frank
                    > was able to identify many of the things in the basement (Grabbe)
                    collection
                    > that we previously could not identify. For example, those two
                    small but
                    > HEAVY cylindrical things which we thought were either drive units or
                    > mini-supercomputer cores -- he said those are "cells" (not sure
                    what that
                    > means exactly) from an IBM 20-somthing system.

                    Mini-supercomputer cores ???

                    I'm almost sure they are units from an IBM 2321 Data Cell. They were
                    really quite remarkable devices, the very few times they worked right
                    (not unlike their 3850 Mass Storage System :-) ). Now, those brought
                    up in the PC era have little concept of "removeable storage" in the
                    old mainframe sense, but it was a huge part of data processing "back
                    in the day". Data Cells were like slices of pie, with several megs of
                    data on a continous tape. The tape was somewhat addressable, not
                    completely unlike DECTape. So, you had the density and cost/bit of
                    tape, and almost the random access of disk. When running work, you
                    mounted up your Data Cell Cartridge(s), and you were off. That is,
                    until they broke, which is one of the many reasons why we don't look
                    lovingly at Data Cells today....

                    >the good news is Frank is readily accessible and not a gray-hair,
                    > so he'll be around to help us for a long time.

                    This is good to hear, I guess... however, my beard is more white than
                    other colors....

                    My availability is actually a bit limited - I work at another museum
                    (the Cradle of Aviation on Long Island, specializing in the Lunar
                    Module), and my usual Dickensonian work schedule. I am also the Co-
                    Editor of the Apollo Flight Journal, and Contributing Editor for the
                    Apollo Lunar Surface Journal, both online NASA publications. So,
                    things get a bit busy at times (and I'm chronically behind!)...

                    Anyway, time to run...

                    All the best,

                    Frank
                  • Evan
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 29, 2005
                      Thanks for the input, Frank, we appreciate it!  I didn't realize there were local politicians there; would have told them about our group.  Oh well.

                      We definitely plan to log everything and take photographs.

                      With a strict "look but don't touch!" agreement, we'd love to someday have you eventually display the Apollo system in our museum.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                        Anyone else?  (See list below)

                        10:00 is great, any later than 10:30 and we'll volunteer you for snacks duty.

                        Speaking of which, if you do arrive once we're already downstairs, don't waste your time trying to call our cell phones -- they won't work down there.  What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already) is enter the main building, walk down the hall to your left, turn right at the end, walk through the main room, and take the stairs at the end on the right to go down.  Most important, especially if you're tall, WATCH YOUR HEADS down there.  I'm only 5-8 and learned this the difficult way!  Looooooow ceilings in the basement.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                          > Anyone else? (See list below)

                          I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
                          want to be driving home by 6.

                          Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                          will be getting in each others way?

                          Did they get the rest of the collection?

                          I saw the bring camera. Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
                          down on paper best? Anything else useful to bring?

                          > What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
                          > is enter the main building

                          Is it obvious which the main building is?

                          David Gesswein
                          http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
                        • Evan
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                            >>> Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                            will be getting in each others way?

                            More people is better.  Moreover, you'll enjoy seeing the facility where our museum and VCF East will happen.

                            >>> Did they get the rest of the collection?

                            I think that's imminent, and I expect to hear from Fred about this in the nexy day or two.

                            >>> Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it down on paper best?

                            Totally up to you.  An electronic record will be simpler because it'll all got to be put in a database eventually, but using your laptop in a basement with a hard floor and all might not be a good idea.

                            Yes.  Just in case, here's a photo from when it was the brand-new Marconi headquartes in 1914: http://infoage.org/images/wa7ht-2.jpg ... today there's a tall fence around it, but the building looks almost identical.  Facing the building from Marconi Rd., park in the lot to the right side.  Then enter through the front door and follow the directions to the basement as described in my previous email.

                            I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
                            want to be driving home by 6.

                            Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                            will be getting in each others way?

                            Did they get the rest of the collection?

                            I saw the bring camera.  Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
                            down on paper best?  Anything else useful to bring?

                            > What you do instead (for
                            those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
                            > is enter the main
                            building

                            Is it obvious which the main building is?

                            David Gesswein
                            http://www.pdp8.net/  -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
                          • Chris M
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                              I can't actually guarantee I'll be there, but chances
                              are high. And of course if I am...I'll be late ;).
                              Unemployed hobos like me like to sleep late.
                              As to what to bring, I don't have a clue. If anyone
                              is specifically interested in a Tandy 1000...a ONE
                              followed by 3 ZEROS...I could bring that along, just
                              so I don't seem like a stiff. I don't really have that
                              much that anyone would want really. Anything non-pc is
                              basically in need of total overhaul. I think I have
                              some DEC books, but I'd even have to check that. I'm
                              open to suggestions.
                              Evan, just to be clear, we're talking about the
                              "hotel" where we met during the summer?

                              __________________________________
                              http://farechase.yahoo.com
                            • Evan
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                >>> "hotel" where we met during the summer?
                                Yup.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                  David,
                                  If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                                  waiting for you...
                                  Bill

                                  At 05:31 PM 11/9/2005 -0500, you wrote:
                                  > > Anyone else? (See list below)
                                  > >
                                  >I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
                                  >want to be driving home by 6.
                                  >
                                  >Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                                  >will be getting in each others way?
                                  >
                                  >Did they get the rest of the collection?
                                  >
                                  >I saw the bring camera. Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
                                  >down on paper best? Anything else useful to bring?
                                  >
                                  > > What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
                                  > > is enter the main building
                                  > >
                                  >Is it obvious which the main building is?
                                  >
                                  >David Gesswein
                                  >http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
                                  >

                                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • David Gesswein
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                    > If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                                    > waiting for you...

                                    I suspect my arrival time isn't going to be predictable enough to make that
                                    worthwhile.

                                    Do you know which model 8?
                                  • John Allain
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                      > I think I have some DEC books, but I'd even have to check that.
                                      > I'm open to suggestions.

                                      Chris,
                                      When John M. packed up the DECMate books there were a lot
                                      of 2-of-a-kinds. If you could bring the dupes for me, that could
                                      equal a nice contribution/donation.
                                      John A.
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                        I do not. It was dark, I assume it was a PDP/8 but I did not write it
                                        down. There's a chance that it's not even a PDP/8...anyone remember?
                                        bd

                                        At 09:06 PM 11/9/2005 -0500, you wrote:
                                        > > If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                                        > > waiting for you...
                                        > >
                                        >I suspect my arrival time isn't going to be predictable enough to make that
                                        >worthwhile.
                                        >
                                        >Do you know which model 8?
                                        >

                                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • Evan
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                          David, I'm confused, do you still plan to attend?

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 10, 2005
                                            > David, I'm confused, do you still plan to attend?

                                            Yes. The not worthwhile was for somebody standing around outside waiting for
                                            me to show up since my arrival time is likely to be somewhat unpredictable.