Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: MARCHins vs. Snowmageddon!

  • Jeffrey Frady
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
      On my way home now from work. 195 in NJ doesn't even seem like it was
      ever plowed. Got out of work at 3 and we had the company snowball
      fight :)

      --
      See you space cowboy...
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
        Jeffrey Frady <Legodude522@...> writes:

        >On my way home now from work. 195 in NJ doesn't even seem like it was
        >ever plowed. Got out of work at 3 and we had the company snowball fight

        Where is where work and home?

        "And though it seems they smile with glee, I know in truth they envy me
        and watch as my befuddled brain, shines on brightly quite insane"
      • Ray Sills
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
          In the Philly PA area, SN*W... is a four-letter word, and never more
          so than today. :)

          That said, I live in an "over 55" condo community, and the HOA has a
          budget for sn*w removal, and a contract with a company who does the
          work. Probably best way to handle it, lest some residents try to
          shovel it away and work themselves into a heart attack.

          And, very fortunately (at least up to this point), the community has
          not lost electrical power, like has happened in the southernmost NJ
          counties. Cape May was creamed during the last storm, and many
          people still do not have power.

          73 de Ray

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
            Ray Sills <raysills@...> writes:

            >In the Philly PA area, SN*W... is a four-letter word, and never more so
            >than today. :)
            >
            >That said, I live in an "over 55" condo community, and the HOA has a
            >budget for sn*w removal, and a contract with a company who does the
            >work. Probably best way to handle it, lest some residents try to shovel
            >it away and work themselves into a heart attack.
            >
            >And, very fortunately (at least up to this point), the community has not
            >lost electrical power, like has happened in the southernmost NJ
            >counties. Cape May was creamed during the last storm, and many people
            >still do not have power.

            You mentioned I-195. I'm in Jackson. The Dec. storm dumped 24" on Jackson
            and this past weekend, another 18". This crap now is ice and snow. What a
            mess. My back is killing me from shovelling all this snow.

            "And though it seems they smile with glee, I know in truth they envy me
            and watch as my befuddled brain, shines on brightly quite insane"
          • Bill Sudbrink
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
              > How's everyone holding up? Especially those in MD/DC
              > areas ... Gesswein, Sudbrink, etc.

              Taking advantage of work time off to work on a Heath H8/H17.
              Fluctuating power and crazy kids are making things a little
              difficult.

              Bill S.
            • Jeffrey Frady
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                Yeah, i live in Jackson. 571 is pretty bad too.

                --
                See you space cowboy...
              • Jeffrey Frady
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010

                  --
                  See you space cowboy...
                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010

                    evan@... wrote:
                    How's everyone holding up?  Especially those in MD/DC areas ... Gesswein, Sudbrink, etc.

                    Unfortunately I work from home so I couldn't take off today! Otherwise I'd be outside making a "snow Pac-Man" or whatever.  :)

                    going on 34" so far since Fri and it's not over yet. Tree limbs are crashing down. Plow trucks filling my driveway after I shovel. The interstate is closed down, even the turnpike I think. Rolling blackouts over the weekend - glad to have power still. The cable gets ripped off my house by a dump truck since it was drooping from the weight of the snow covered trees - during the superbowl !! So I had to rescue this 100 ft long cable flopping down along the street, and trying to avoid slipping on the snow covered street,  before it gets mangled by the other cars. I had to hurry back up the hill to my house and whip it over the garage roof to get it high enough before another big truck takes me along with it. I lasso this to the big tree in my yard to keep the tension. Luckily, the cable ripped off right at the connector on the junction, only a sliver of ground shield left, so I had to splice it back together while in the dark, standing in 2ft of snow I had to nimbly weave the ground shield to get a good signal - can't live with out my internet :)

                    =Dan

                  • Christian Liendo
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                      I live 4 blocks from work so I have no excuse.
                      It's easier to work from work than home.
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                        > The cable gets ripped off my house by a dump truck since it was
                        > drooping from the weight of the snow covered trees - during the
                        > superbowl !! So I had to rescue this 100 ft long cable flopping down
                        > along the street, and trying to avoid slipping on the snow covered
                        > street, before it gets mangled by the other cars. I had to hurry back
                        > up the hill to my house and whip it over the garage roof to get it
                        > high enough before another big truck takes me along with it. I lasso
                        > this to the big tree in my yard to keep the tension. Luckily, the
                        > cable ripped off right at the connector on the junction, only a sliver
                        > of ground shield left, so I had to splice it back together while in
                        > the dark, standing in 2ft of snow I had to nimbly weave the ground
                        > shield to get a good signal - can't live with out my internet :)

                        LOL! "Is it a bird ... is it a plane .... no .... it's SUPERNERD!"
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                          > I live 4 blocks from work so I have no excuse.
                          > It's easier to work from work than home.

                          Must be fun to wander Manhattan in the snow .... I used to have lots of
                          fun in this weather when I lived in downtown Boston.
                        • Mike Loewen
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                            On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Dan Roganti wrote:

                            > I lasso this to the big tree in my yard to keep the tension. Luckily,
                            > the cable ripped off right at the connector on the junction, only a
                            > sliver of ground shield left, so I had to splice it back together while
                            > in the dark, standing in 2ft of snow I had to nimbly weave the ground
                            > shield to get a good signal - can't live with out my internet :)

                            Shades of Marty McFly and Doc Brown!

                            We only had 14" over the weekend and another 3" last night in State
                            College. We were expected to have a foot by tomorrow morning, but it
                            doesn't look like it.

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          • Bob Schwier
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                              I could use some falling tree limbs.  I have two days, maybe three, of cut
                              firewood and all of the uncut stuff lies under snow that somehow shoveling
                              to and then hitting with an ax seems to be inviting heart attack.
                              Since school was canceled again, I'll wait until morning to bother to shovel
                              out the walk and car.
                              bs

                              http://www.vintagec omputer.net/ ragooman/

                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                                evan@... wrote:
                                > How's everyone holding up? Especially those in MD/DC areas ... Gesswein, Sudbrink, etc.
                                >
                                > Unfortunately I work from home so I couldn't take off today! Otherwise I'd be outside making a "snow Pac-Man" or whatever. :)

                                South Eastern PA is hardest hit. It's amazing out here. A once in a
                                generation snow. I was out in the back with the chain saw in about 2
                                feet of snow, cutting up some last-minute firewood.

                                Bill
                              • Barry L. Kline
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                                  Mike Loewen wrote:

                                  > We only had 14" over the weekend and another 3" last night in State
                                  > College. We were expected to have a foot by tomorrow morning, but it
                                  > doesn't look like it.

                                  I hope that you knocked on wood after you typed that. It's coming down
                                  buckets over here in Huntingdon Mike and if it crosses the mountain,
                                  you're in for it!

                                  Barry

                                  --
                                • Jeffrey Brace
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                                    I'm ok. I had to go into work today. But first I had to wake up early to help my brother shovel out the end of my driveway because the plows blocked us in. First I was at the West Long Branch, NJ location, then drove to the Brick, NJ location at around 12pm.  The roads were ok up until 1:30pm or so. It was rain and sleet up until that point, then switched to heavy snow. I left around 3pm and drove slowly on the parkway. Mostly everyone was in one lane. Lots of tractors plowing big chucks. A few people spun out into guardrails etc. stuck in the snow. I got home ok and am now just resting and relaxing. Tomorrow morning I will shovel etc. and don't look forward to that ! Sad smiley emoticon

                                    I wonder where the plows are going to put all the new snow. I know some parking lots loaded up dump trucks with snow and moved it somewhere else (I assume a less used part of the parking or dump in the river) in preparation for this storm.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                                      On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Barry L. Kline wrote:

                                      > Mike Loewen wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> We only had 14" over the weekend and another 3" last night in State
                                      >> College. We were expected to have a foot by tomorrow morning, but it
                                      >> doesn't look like it.
                                      >
                                      > I hope that you knocked on wood after you typed that. It's coming down
                                      > buckets over here in Huntingdon Mike and if it crosses the mountain,
                                      > you're in for it!

                                      Nah, it looks like it's going to stay on your side of the ridge. :-)
                                      At any rate, my snowblower and I are ready.

                                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                    • Christian Liendo
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                                        A lot of slush, but Top of the Rock is open and the view is awesome

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                                          I bet you guys wished you had this

                                          http://hackaday.com/2010/02/01/snow-blower-robot/

                                        • Bryan Pope
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                                            On 2/10/2010 6:01 PM, Christian Liendo wrote:
                                            > I bet you guys wished you had this
                                            >
                                            > http://hackaday.com/2010/02/01/snow-blower-robot/

                                            skynet whatcouldpossiblygowrong

                                            Cheers,

                                            Bryan
                                          • Jeffrey Frady
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                                              Hello VAXman, to clarify, I work in Hightstown and live in Jackson.  And then if I continue going east on 195, I'd hit InfoAge.

                                              On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- <VAXman@...> wrote:

                                              Jeffrey Frady <Legodude522@...> writes:

                                              >On my way home now from work. 195 in NJ doesn't even seem like it was
                                              >ever plowed. Got out of work at 3 and we had the company snowball fight

                                              Where is where work and home?

                                              "And though it seems they smile with glee, I know in truth they envy me
                                              and watch as my befuddled brain, shines on brightly quite insane"

                                              --
                                              See you space cowboy...
                                            • David Gesswein
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 10, 2010
                                                > How's everyone holding up? Especially those in MD/DC areas ...
                                                > Gesswein, Sudbrink, etc.

                                                Not too bad. Have about 2 feet 4 inches. Didn't go to work monday since my
                                                street wasn't plowed. Took today off also. At least I had power. A friend
                                                lost it friday night and didn't get it back until tuesday. I have a tree
                                                down in the back yard but it didn't hit anything so just more for the
                                                todo list.
                                              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 11, 2010
                                                  David Gesswein <djg@...> writes:

                                                  >> How's everyone holding up? Especially those in MD/DC areas ... >
                                                  >Gesswein, Sudbrink, etc. > Not too bad. Have about 2 feet 4 inches.
                                                  >Didn't go to work monday since my street wasn't plowed. Took today off
                                                  >also. At least I had power. A friend lost it friday night and didn't get
                                                  >it back until tuesday. I have a tree down in the back yard but it didn't
                                                  >hit anything so just more for the todo list.

                                                  The comms lines from the poll to the house were quite ice ladden here and
                                                  hanging quite low. I took a long piece of wood and knocked off the ice.
                                                  A couple of power hits here too. Nothing more than about 5 minute without
                                                  power. Fortunately, I have 2 2200VA UPS each with external extra battery
                                                  units. I'm good for about 8 hours, with reduced load, on those.

                                                  As soon as we're shovelled out from this one, there's more on the way too.

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 11, 2010
                                                    Lets see, I'm finally recovering from this morning's exercise regimen.  My car
                                                    is free but I hope I can get to the garage before March.
                                                    Fourth time this week.
                                                    bs