Re: Nov. 12 / update on who's attending? was: RE: [midatlanticretro] Another update from Fred @ Infoage

  • madodel@ptdprolog.net
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
      In <001701c5db5a$29ed14f0$6401a8c0@owneriywbc5o7y>, on 10/27/05 at 08:54
      PM,
      "Evan" <evan947@...> said:

      >I know it's still a couple of weeks away, just wondering if any of the
      >tenatives can confirm, and if others are interested. The work day
      >(starting at 10 AM) is an excellent time to bring anything from your
      >personal collections that needs storage space -- Fred assured me the room
      >where we'll be has shelves and a lock on the door -- it may even have
      >(gasp!) working electric lights. :)
      >
      >The list on Oct. 16 was thus:
      >- Me (Evan)
      >- John A.
      >- Bill D.
      >- John M. ("john-apw")
      >- Mark D. (tentative)

      Evan,

      I would definitely like to be there, but I may not be able to make it by
      10AM. How late are you planning to be there? if I got there by 11 or
      latest 12, would that be too late?

      Mark

      --

      From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

      Warpstock 2005, Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6 - 9, 2005 http://www.warpstock.org
      Warpstock Europe 2005, Dresden, Germany, Nov. 18-20 http://www.warpstock.net

      For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE - http://www.os2voice.org

      "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938
    • Bob Grieb
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
        Evan,

        I will be there. Also, I plan to donate a nice, fairly
        new folding table instead of cash. I hope that will be OK. It could
        be useful at places like TCF, or maybe just at InfoAge.

        Bob Grieb

        __________________________________
        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
          That's great Bob, thank you!  TCF supplies its own tables but we'll certainly use it for VCF and the museum.  :)

          Okay, so, a good point -- strong folding tables are an acceptable substitute for cash!

          --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

          > I know it's still a couple of weeks away, just wondering if
          any of
          > the
          > tenatives can confirm, and if others are
          interested.  The work day
          > (starting
          > at 10 AM) is an
          excellent time to bring anything from your personal
          > collections that
          needs storage space -- Fred assured me the room
          > where we'll
          > be
          has shelves and a lock on the door -- it may even have (gasp!)

          working
          > electric lights.  :)

          > The list on
          Oct. 16 was thus:
          > - Me (Evan)
          > - John A.
          > - Bill
          D.
          > - John M. ("john-apw")
          > - Mark D. (tentative)
          > - Bob
          Grieb (tentative)
          > - Joe G. & friends

          > Who'd I
          forget?

          homepage: http://www.snarc.net

          href="http://news.computercollector.com">http://news.computercollector.com

          > Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists & Museum:

          >   _____
          >
          > YAHOO!
          GROUPS LINKS

          *      Visit your group "midatlanticretro

          > *      Your use
          of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          > Service

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          >   _____

          __________________________________
          http://farechase.yahoo.com
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
            >>> Evan,

            I would definitely like to be there, but I may not be able to make it by 10AM.  How late are you planning to be there?  if I got there by 11 or latest 12, would that be too late?

            Mark

            That's fine, we'll be there all day.

            >I know it's still a couple of weeks away, just
            wondering if any of the
            >tenatives can confirm, and if others are
            interested.  The work day
            >(starting at 10 AM) is an excellent time
            to bring anything from your
            >personal collections that needs storage space
            -- Fred assured me the room
            >where we'll be has shelves and a lock on the
            door -- it may even have
            >(gasp!) working electric lights.
            :)

            >The list on Oct. 16 was thus:
            >- Me (Evan)
            >-
            John A.
            >- Bill D.
            >- John M. ("john-apw")
            >- Mark D.
            (tentative)

            Evan,

            I would definitely like to be there, but I may not be able to make it by
            10AM.  How late are you planning to be there?  if I got there by 11 or
            latest 12, would that be too late?

            Mark

          • John Allain
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
              I haven't raved about infoAge yet but I did go a week ago and it's a
              Fine place if you look at it a few months ahead. It's a really large
              building with lots of rooms for expansion. I don't know anything like
              a 5-year plan that they might have but this place could really grow!
              I saw 1 massive area with two more connected hallways, each hallway
              seeming to have at least 16 adequately sized rooms. Biig!

              I'm tempted to run some doorbell wire to the guardshack.
              There's like this 9 foot fence all the way around the building.
              It's a little *too* secure for unscheduled visits as I discovered ;}

              John A.
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
                Plus, they will soon carpet all those rooms.  Some of the rooms on the second floor are already carpeted... I bet you didn't see the second floor or the attic.  :)

                And that's just one building!  Infoage is getting the WHOLE BASE in time.

                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 28, 2005
                  Should've been there in the old days...
                  Took my kid to the doctor the other day and saw the area from the road for the first time since 86 or so when I supported all the DEC hardware down there.

                  Geez... looks like it's seen better times (from the outside).  The buildings there were never much beyond WWII/Korea cinderblock or quonset hut stuff and the air conditioning for the machines was always marginal -- but they kept them painted and they looked a lot better
                  than they do now.

                  I'm sorry it took the Army, county and township this lo clean 'em up and turn them over.
                  Had they got it in '88 or so at the first BRAC it would've been in "move in" conidition.

                  Anyway, I wonder what's going to happen with the Hexagon (Myers Center) in Eatontown/Tinton Falls... and the stuff on the Little Silver - Oceanport line when the BRAC closing happens.

                  The Myers center is a 5 story building with full Auditiorium with all the AV trimmings
                  and pretty good computer rooms (Libert AC and such).

                  Boy it would make  a good college/trade school/museum -- but it'll probably go to condos like the Cecom building.  The Cecom building was leased and it used to house a number of IBM mainframes for the Fort.  (being buldozed for more adult condos )

                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 28, 2005
                    Hi all,

                    I just got home from tonight's party at Infoage.  It was a very good night for MARCH.

                    Fred had told me about the improvements to the main room of the "hotel" building (where we were in August and where VCF East will be, as explained in the message below), but when I saw it for myself tonight, I was blown away!  The room looks MUCH better.  Back in August it was dirty, mostly unpainted, lots of broken tiles, even some large gaps in the floor.  No longer!  The old tile is gone, the floor is filled in, and it's all covered in decent-looking light gray paint.  At this point it looks quite presentable, and they didn't even install the carpeting yet.  It's much easier now to visualize us holding VCF next spring in this room.

                    They also gave tours of the attic tonight -- we already saw the second floor but never the attic.  Back during WWII, there were several small, secret rooms installed in the attic and the rooms were all surrounded by metal wire shielding so they could develop RADAR without outside interference.  If you think the basement is cool, wait until ya'll see the attic someday.

                    John M. (john_apw to most of us): tonight I got into the room where you dropped off the recent haul.  At first Fred thought we were locked out of there, but then we realized the adjacent room was unlocked and you can walk between the rooms. :)   Fred also pointed out the far end of the basement that you told me about.

                    Back in the main room, during the party, I met three people who are interested in our club.  One guy (Leo Assur) said he might know a local place getting rid of multiple Prime and General Electric computers.  Good stuff!

                    I also ran into Frank, aka the guy who owns the Apollo command computer.  He and a friend of his (Joe Levy) might come to our Nov. 12 work day.  Frank was able to identify many of the things in the basement (Grabbe) collection that we previously could not identify.  For example, those two small but HEAVY cylindrical things which we thought were either drive units or mini-supercomputer cores -- he said those are "cells" (not sure what that means exactly) from an IBM 20-somthing system.  Sorry I didn't get the details... the good news is Frank is readily accessible and not a gray-hair, so he'll be around to help us for a long time.

                    - Evan

                    - There is a good chance the second half of the Grabbe collection will be
                    transferred by early November, meaning it'll be ready for our Nov. 12 work
                    day
                    - The floor of the "hotel" area (main building) had its holes patched and
                    was painted with a gray sealant (carpet to come early next year, I think)
                    - Fred will get the basement lights working for Nov. 12 and we'll move ALL
                    of our collection to one secure room with shelves
                    - A reminder: this Friday (Oct. 28) is an Infoage social event for anyone
                    who supports the overall projects and their families.

                    The original email about this Friday (radio club version but applies to
                    MARCH as well):

                    >>> Most of you should have received an invitation to the
                    InfoAge Member
                    Mixer at 7:30 PM Friday evening, October 28 at the Marconi Hotel, Camp
                    Evans, Wall, NJ.  If not, consider this your invitation and/or urge that you
                    attend.  InfoAge is very important to NJARC and is quickly gathering steam.
                    It is vital that we show our physical and financial support and we can have
                    a good time while we are at it.  Come meet other InfoAge supporters, you do
                    not need to be a member, all that is required is that you have an interest
                    in making this project successful.  Please RSVP no later than October 21,
                    2005 by calling 732-776-6261.  Indicate the number of people in your party
                    and leave a name and phone number.  Admission is $10.00 per person, attire
                    is casual and refreshments will be served.  Hope to see you there.

                    I'll probably go for a couple of hours.  Would be nice to see other MARCHers
                    there.  Anyone interested?

                  • Frank_OBrien
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 29, 2005
                      Hey folks;

                      Saw this note, thought it would be good to reply..

                      > I just got home from tonight's party at Infoage. It was a very
                      good night
                      > for MARCH.

                      Yeah, it really was a super get together. It's essential for more of
                      the MARCH'ers to attend functions like this, if only to see what goes
                      on in such a large, grass-roots project. Plus meeting and greeting
                      our core group of supporters (including the local political
                      officials, some who have "kept the faith" for a decade or more) is
                      absolutely key, both to show them who you are, and to demonstrate
                      a "wide and deep" level of support for Infoage. Remember - Fred,
                      myself and many other folks essentially saved the site from being
                      turned into condos and stip malls. By attending these functions
                      demonstrates to the local city officials that their decisions were
                      not a mistake. Plus, hey, you may get your picture in the paper!

                      > Fred had told me about the improvements to the main room of
                      the "hotel"
                      > building (where we were in August and where VCF East will be, as
                      explained
                      > in the message below), but when I saw it for myself tonight, I was
                      blown
                      > away! The room looks MUCH better. Back in August it was dirty,
                      mostly
                      > unpainted, lots of broken tiles, even some large gaps in the
                      floor. No
                      > longer! The old tile is gone, the floor is filled in, and it's all
                      covered
                      > in decent-looking light gray paint. At this point it looks quite
                      > presentable, and they didn't even install the carpeting yet. It's
                      much
                      > easier now to visualize us holding VCF next spring in this room.

                      Yeah, the Dining Room (as it was originally known as) has been
                      improved tremendously. It still needs a real paint job (the existing
                      job hides a multitude of sins, but it honestly needs to be done
                      right). Hopefully I'll get that done in the next month or so....

                      > I also ran into Frank, aka the guy who owns the Apollo command
                      computer. He
                      > and a friend of his (Joe Levy) might come to our Nov. 12 work day.

                      We'll see what happens - but I'm sure we can work something out. Joe
                      and I worked on a lot of this stuff "back in the day" - so there is a
                      lot we can add. Key to this is going to be recording this info - you
                      *are* planning on videotaping, photographing and logging all this
                      info, aren't you? If not, I belive there is a good document that the
                      Smithsonian has put together on this kind of archiving. It's a
                      standard that we need to be working at. This is the necessary kind of
                      professionalism that is key to Infoage. Hey, we may be small, poor
                      and have rooms that need a lot of paint, but that's no excuse for not
                      operating at a level that would make the Smithsoniam proud!

                      > Frank
                      > was able to identify many of the things in the basement (Grabbe)
                      collection
                      > that we previously could not identify. For example, those two
                      small but
                      > HEAVY cylindrical things which we thought were either drive units or
                      > mini-supercomputer cores -- he said those are "cells" (not sure
                      what that
                      > means exactly) from an IBM 20-somthing system.

                      Mini-supercomputer cores ???

                      I'm almost sure they are units from an IBM 2321 Data Cell. They were
                      really quite remarkable devices, the very few times they worked right
                      (not unlike their 3850 Mass Storage System :-) ). Now, those brought
                      up in the PC era have little concept of "removeable storage" in the
                      old mainframe sense, but it was a huge part of data processing "back
                      in the day". Data Cells were like slices of pie, with several megs of
                      data on a continous tape. The tape was somewhat addressable, not
                      completely unlike DECTape. So, you had the density and cost/bit of
                      tape, and almost the random access of disk. When running work, you
                      mounted up your Data Cell Cartridge(s), and you were off. That is,
                      until they broke, which is one of the many reasons why we don't look
                      lovingly at Data Cells today....

                      >the good news is Frank is readily accessible and not a gray-hair,
                      > so he'll be around to help us for a long time.

                      This is good to hear, I guess... however, my beard is more white than
                      other colors....

                      My availability is actually a bit limited - I work at another museum
                      (the Cradle of Aviation on Long Island, specializing in the Lunar
                      Module), and my usual Dickensonian work schedule. I am also the Co-
                      Editor of the Apollo Flight Journal, and Contributing Editor for the
                      Apollo Lunar Surface Journal, both online NASA publications. So,
                      things get a bit busy at times (and I'm chronically behind!)...

                      Anyway, time to run...

                      All the best,

                      Frank
                    • Evan
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 29, 2005
                        Thanks for the input, Frank, we appreciate it!  I didn't realize there were local politicians there; would have told them about our group.  Oh well.

                        We definitely plan to log everything and take photographs.

                        With a strict "look but don't touch!" agreement, we'd love to someday have you eventually display the Apollo system in our museum.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                          Anyone else?  (See list below)

                          10:00 is great, any later than 10:30 and we'll volunteer you for snacks duty.

                          Speaking of which, if you do arrive once we're already downstairs, don't waste your time trying to call our cell phones -- they won't work down there.  What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already) is enter the main building, walk down the hall to your left, turn right at the end, walk through the main room, and take the stairs at the end on the right to go down.  Most important, especially if you're tall, WATCH YOUR HEADS down there.  I'm only 5-8 and learned this the difficult way!  Looooooow ceilings in the basement.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                            > Anyone else? (See list below)

                            I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
                            want to be driving home by 6.

                            Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                            will be getting in each others way?

                            Did they get the rest of the collection?

                            I saw the bring camera. Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
                            down on paper best? Anything else useful to bring?

                            > What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
                            > is enter the main building

                            Is it obvious which the main building is?

                            David Gesswein
                            http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
                          • Evan
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                              >>> Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                              will be getting in each others way?

                              More people is better.  Moreover, you'll enjoy seeing the facility where our museum and VCF East will happen.

                              >>> Did they get the rest of the collection?

                              I think that's imminent, and I expect to hear from Fred about this in the nexy day or two.

                              >>> Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it down on paper best?

                              Totally up to you.  An electronic record will be simpler because it'll all got to be put in a database eventually, but using your laptop in a basement with a hard floor and all might not be a good idea.

                              Yes.  Just in case, here's a photo from when it was the brand-new Marconi headquartes in 1914: http://infoage.org/images/wa7ht-2.jpg ... today there's a tall fence around it, but the building looks almost identical.  Facing the building from Marconi Rd., park in the lot to the right side.  Then enter through the front door and follow the directions to the basement as described in my previous email.

                              I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
                              want to be driving home by 6.

                              Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                              will be getting in each others way?

                              Did they get the rest of the collection?

                              I saw the bring camera.  Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
                              down on paper best?  Anything else useful to bring?

                              > What you do instead (for
                              those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
                              > is enter the main
                              building

                              Is it obvious which the main building is?

                              David Gesswein
                              http://www.pdp8.net/  -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
                            • Chris M
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                I can't actually guarantee I'll be there, but chances
                                are high. And of course if I am...I'll be late ;).
                                Unemployed hobos like me like to sleep late.
                                As to what to bring, I don't have a clue. If anyone
                                is specifically interested in a Tandy 1000...a ONE
                                followed by 3 ZEROS...I could bring that along, just
                                so I don't seem like a stiff. I don't really have that
                                much that anyone would want really. Anything non-pc is
                                basically in need of total overhaul. I think I have
                                some DEC books, but I'd even have to check that. I'm
                                open to suggestions.
                                Evan, just to be clear, we're talking about the
                                "hotel" where we met during the summer?

                                __________________________________
                                http://farechase.yahoo.com
                              • Evan
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                  >>> "hotel" where we met during the summer?
                                  Yup.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                    David,
                                    If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                                    waiting for you...
                                    Bill

                                    At 05:31 PM 11/9/2005 -0500, you wrote:
                                    > > Anyone else? (See list below)
                                    > >
                                    >I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
                                    >want to be driving home by 6.
                                    >
                                    >Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                                    >will be getting in each others way?
                                    >
                                    >Did they get the rest of the collection?
                                    >
                                    >I saw the bring camera. Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
                                    >down on paper best? Anything else useful to bring?
                                    >
                                    > > What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
                                    > > is enter the main building
                                    > >
                                    >Is it obvious which the main building is?
                                    >
                                    >David Gesswein
                                    >http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
                                    >

                                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • David Gesswein
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                      > If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                                      > waiting for you...

                                      I suspect my arrival time isn't going to be predictable enough to make that
                                      worthwhile.

                                      Do you know which model 8?
                                    • John Allain
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                        > I think I have some DEC books, but I'd even have to check that.
                                        > I'm open to suggestions.

                                        Chris,
                                        When John M. packed up the DECMate books there were a lot
                                        of 2-of-a-kinds. If you could bring the dupes for me, that could
                                        equal a nice contribution/donation.
                                        John A.
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                          I do not. It was dark, I assume it was a PDP/8 but I did not write it
                                          down. There's a chance that it's not even a PDP/8...anyone remember?
                                          bd

                                          At 09:06 PM 11/9/2005 -0500, you wrote:
                                          > > If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                                          > > waiting for you...
                                          > >
                                          >I suspect my arrival time isn't going to be predictable enough to make that
                                          >worthwhile.
                                          >
                                          >Do you know which model 8?
                                          >

                                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • Evan
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                            David, I'm confused, do you still plan to attend?

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 10, 2005
                                              > David, I'm confused, do you still plan to attend?

                                              Yes. The not worthwhile was for somebody standing around outside waiting for
                                              me to show up since my arrival time is likely to be somewhat unpredictable.