MARCH revenue ideas?

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2010
      Expanding on what I posted a few days ago .....

      MARCH has plenty of money if we decide to host VCF East 7.0 on the
      originally planned weekend of September 25-26. However, for reasons
      already discussed here, we are strongly considering postponing the event
      until spring 2011 -- in which case we need to make some money to hold us
      over.

      The posters idea is an easy and obvious one. We'll do that immediately.

      Hosting some kind of non-VCF is also possible in August or October. But
      I don't think it would raise a lot of money. InfoAge increasingly wants
      all member groups to give portions of their event proceeds back to the
      museum (which I agree with) but I don't think a vintage computer swap
      meet (or whatever) would be worthwhile. Even if we sold 25 booths for
      $25 each, that's only $625, minus a couple of hundred minimum for
      InfoAge, minus any expenses .... there wouldn't be much left. (Unlike
      the VCF, I don't think the general public would pay to attend our
      swapmeet. It'd be all of us selling stuff to each other. Same goes for
      workshops, etc. -- I think the majority of people actually interested in
      such things are already in our club!)

      Grovelling* is not in our plan**. It's very easy for people to say,
      "Just apply for grants," or "Write letters to computer companies," etc.
      ..... that approach is difficult, time-consuming, and not likely to
      result in any significant income anytime soon. So, please do NOT
      suggest anything along those lines. Nor are we interested in becoming a
      recycling company, PC tech support, etc.

      To be very clear: we are NOT at any risk of being dangerously low on
      money, nor do we have ANY debts (not counting a couple of nominal
      reimbursements to myself and Bill Degnan.) Also, we are NOT considering
      going back on our promise to keep the club open-source and dues-free.
      In fact we have plenty of money to last until the end of this year or
      even next spring if we stretch it, but then, what if another big rescue
      opportunity comes up? Those box trucks aren't cheap.

      Having said what we do NOT want to do, does anyone have good suggestions
      for how to monetize our existing resources, or how to make some revenue
      without killing ourselves time-wise?

      - Evan

      * However, if someone wants to be our rich uncle, we would be very
      grateful! If anyone in MARCH has the means and motivation to donate,
      say, $500 or $1,000, that would dramatically improve our situation. We
      could coast through this year, do another awesome VCF East in spring
      2011, and smell like roses. Such donations could be anonymous, or we
      could name something in the person's honor, a.k.a. "Minicomputer exhibit
      sponsored by Joe Schmo." In addition, if we really do move out of
      building 9032-C and into an H-building space this summer, then we'd have
      room for benefactors to sponsor whatever exhibit THEY want to see us
      build (within reason) .... sorry Bill Dromgoole, but I asked Fred and he
      won't approve an exhibit of vintage porno games. :)

      ** It would also be interesting if someone donated a couple of hundred
      dollars specifically to fund our application for 501(c)3 status. Then
      we could give tax receipts, which in theory would make us a more
      attractive donation target for other people/companies.
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2010
        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > Expanding on what I posted a few days ago .....
        >
        > MARCH has plenty of money if we decide to host VCF East 7.0 on the
        > originally planned weekend of September 25-26. However, for reasons
        > already discussed here, we are strongly considering postponing the event
        > until spring 2011 -- in which case we need to make some money to hold us
        > over.
        >
        > <snip>
        > Having said what we do NOT want to do, does anyone have good suggestions
        > for how to monetize our existing resources, or how to make some revenue
        > without killing ourselves time-wise?
        >
        > - Evan

        I think that you have a reasonable plan and expectations. If we have a
        big rescue other one-time expense we take take up a collection on an
        ad-hoc basis.

        Bill
      • Al Hartman
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2010
          How about having people donate un-needed excess hardware or software and sell it at the flea at Trenton?

          Al Hartman
        • m
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 21 2:57 PM
            > Nor are we interested in becoming a
            > recycling company, PC tech support, etc.

            So Evan posted, understandably... that MARCH as an organization doesn't want to become any of the above.

            That being said, I was wondering if anybody here might wish to start or expand a new or preexisting venture into becoming a recycling business (with the key and initial primary interest in reuse and component recovery before recycling/scrapping)?

            I have extensive experience and knowledge in the reuse & recycling field, and I'm sure those of you here have plenty of experience and knowledge in other fields which may be of great benefit to such a venture.

            I also have some industrial land/property in Philadelphia. (I would also be able/willing to join or help build a venture in parts of NJ, DE, etc.)

            One of our key goals of course would be to divert any interesting or rare computers/components to museums or collectors.. and if we are successful enough, to be that rich uncle/benefactor company to benefit MARCH and perhaps InfoAge, etc. :)

            --
            MS
          • Bob
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 22 7:17 AM
              I live in Yeadon and am near enough to help in such a project.
              I don't have the rich uncle type of investment capital no matter
              what my nieces think.
              bs