re: [midatlanticretro] OT? PDP-8 Single board Computer and Front Panel Partial Kit

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2010
      cool kit. who is getting one from here?
      Bill

      -------- Original Message --------
      Panel Partial Kit

      > Just in case anyone is interested in the Spare Time Gizmos (
      http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/) SBC-6120 and FP-6120 Kit which has been
      discontinued for some time,
      > there is one more opportunity to purchase a kit of both of them.
      > It is fairly expensive at $640.00 and the last order accepted will be
      this Sunday. Just three days.

      > I am including a copy of an email from Steve Gibson of Spin-Rite fame
      with more details.

      > billdrom

      > Hello Everyone!
      >
      > One way or another ... the PDP-8 SBC/FP project will move to its next
      stage at the end of this coming weekend.

      > If Bob Armstrong has not received your payment for a combined PDP-8
      SBC/FP kit by the end of the day, Sunday, February 7th, it will be too
      late.

      > Assuming that a sufficient number of paid orders have been received by
      that time, Bob will immediately place the orders for exactly that number of
      kits Monday morning.

      > It will not be possible for anyone -- not even one more person -- to add
      themselves to the group after the end of this weekend.

      > Since the lead time for kit part fabrication is already significant, it
      would not be fair to hold up everyone else while waiting for stragglers.
      I'm sure you can understand.

      > Since many of you expressed great relief to me that this was miraculously
      happening one last time -- and it really does look like there is no chance
      that this will ever happen again, I just wanted to make absolutely certain
      that there was no misunderstanding, and that no one who wanted to acquire
      one of Bob's amazing PDP-8 kits was left out due to a missed or
      misunderstood eMail.

      > NOTE: I am sending this final reminder to everyone whose eMail address I
      have. If you HAVE already paid Bob for the kit, please just ignore this,
      your order is safe and paid for.

      > If any of this is a surprise to you, please CAREFULLY READ the two
      letters I and Bob sent to everyone last Saturday. You can find them
      here...

      > http://www.grc.com/pdp-8/group-buy-letters.htm
      >
      > ... then please do not delay if you wish to proceed. only three full days
      remain.

      > And to those who have paid and are anxiously anticipating the receipt and
      construction of these terrific kits ... I say, welcome to a bunch of future
      fun!

      > All the best,

      > Steve.
    • Bill Dromgoole
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2010
        I ordered one and paid, but as of 4:10 today only 32 kits have been paid for out
        of 57 kits with a spoken interest.
        If 18 more of those interested don't pay up soon, the deal may not go through.

        Heres hopeing.

        billdrom

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2010

          Just in case anyone is interested in the Spare Time Gizmos ( http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/) SBC-6120 and FP-6120 Kit which has been discontinued for some time, there is one more opportunity to purchase a kit of both of them.
          It is fairly expensive at $640.00 and the last order accepted will be this Sunday. Just three days.

          Replica kits are plenty on-topic.  And I vouch that the kit's creator, Bob Armstrong, is a great guy who deserves your patronage.
        • David Comley
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2010
            I am - looks as though the chances of getting the full order complement of 50 is quite good, so the outlook is positive.

            These kits have been around for a while and have a first class reputation.

            -Dave