Important: TCF / VCF / etc. this year

    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2010
      > We were talking about doing a more formal presentation this year, as a group. Also having an exhibit room like 2005. You are correct that we should decide what to do. I did not go last year either.
      > Bill

      Bill has it part right, part wrong.

      We're only planning to do a simple table at Trenton on the first day,
      just like last year. Reason: that show is shrinking every year, and
      Sunday is always totally dead.

      Bill and/or I may also do a presentation on the history of computing in
      the local area, probably in addition to my usual talk on "Vintage
      Computing for Newbs."

      What Bill was thinking of re: doing a bigger thing is re: Maker Faire
      NYC. Unfortunately the people at Make chose the same weekend we were
      targeting for VCF East 7.0. So we have to decide what to do.

      One option, which I favor if we can make it work, is to delay VCF East
      7.0 until spring 2011. That would allow MARCH to do bigger showings at
      Trenton, HOPE, and Maker Faire, while also giving us time to do more
      tech weekends, work on the museum, etc. .... skipping a half-year
      wouldn't be a big deal, as all editions of VCF have skipped years in the
      past, with no adverse impact. Another reason to do this is to give
      InfoAge more time to get H-building space ready for an event like ours
      -- we can't grow the current VCF any if we're confined to currently
      available space. If our attendance grows any more than on Day 1 of last
      year's VCF, then we'd have a real problem.

      The downside of delay VCF East 7.0 by a few months is very simple:
      money. We could squeeze in the event a week or two before our 2011-2012
      insurance bill is due, so our largest expense wouldn't be a problem,
      BUT, we'd have to stretch our existing operations budget, and that could
      get scary.

      It's impossible to have VCF East in any other September weekends this
      year -- because of Labor Day, 9/11, and Rosh Hoshanah. We don't want to
      have the event in summertime, because of excessive heat, tourist hotel
      prices / traffic, etc. -- nor can we have the event in October because
      InfoAge is planning to expand its Halloween event to all weekends that
      month, which would mean our attendees have no place to park and a
      million other logistical details.

      November, etc. are not options because of the risk of bad weather and
      being too close time-wise to VCF West.

      So, if MARCH wants to have a big showing at Maker Faire NYC (I already
      spoke with them and they're stoked about the idea -- they're willing to
      give us a big space for free!), then we'll probably have to delay VCF
      East 7.0 to next spring.

      Which, as I said, is totally cool * IF * our money can stretch far enough.
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 2010
        Thats not a bad idea..

        Mainly because I think Maker Faire is going to be huge and it's a nice target audience.

        The question is, what do you predict the shortfall will be and how can we make it up?

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2, 2010
          This discussion is active in the MARCH BOD Yahoo Group at the moment.  We'll work it out.  I don't think money is going to be an issue the way I see it.

          Bill

          Christian Liendo wrote:
          Thats not a bad idea..

          Mainly because I think Maker Faire is going to be huge and it's a nice target audience.

          The question is, what do you predict the shortfall will be and how can we make it up?

        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 2010

            In general, you might want to think about small ways to raise funds during any event--even for the visitors at the museum.
            I think I mentioned this a while back - a little cash flow coming in never hurts.
            Something as simple as buttons, mousepads, posters, etc, or even T-shirts.
            And with a generic logo/design and/or caption to portray the March Computer Museum to the public.
            The wholesale prices are very cheap for buttons, etc - you saw how cheap the T-shirts are wholesale.
            I know the T-shirts designs I made for VCF wouldn't fit on a button :)
            But I'd be glad to help whip up something which could go any of these small items.

            =Dan

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2010

              In general, you might want to think about small ways to raise funds during any event--even for the visitors at the museum.
              I think I mentioned this a while back - a little cash flow coming in never hurts.

              "Yes, have some!"

              It's still my plan to make kick-ass posters (instead of our current dull ones) and sell copies to whoever wants them.  But that plan will take * time * which I don't have right now.  So instead, I'll make just one poster that emphasizes a few of our museum highlights, and branch out later from there.

              Dan: we'll talk offline -- you did such a good job on the t-shirt designs that I'd be a fool not to enlist your help for the poster too.  But don't start designing anything until we talk and bounce ideas off each other.
            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 2010

                ----- Evan Koblentz wrote:

                > Dan: we'll talk offline -- you did such a good job on the t-shirt
                > designs that I'd be a fool not to enlist your help for the poster too.
                > But don't start designing anything until we talk and bounce ideas off
                > each other.

                ok, no problemo

                =Dan
              • evan@snarc.net
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 25, 2010
                  Fun times @ TCF yesterday. Our table was in the resort-like lobby of a classroom building where TCF held its lectures, so we had decent traffic most of the day. Traffic was dead during the RMS keynote but a professional theremin player entertained us.

                  My lecture, and the other which Bill Deg. and I shared, both went well.

                  Spotted throughout the day were: me, Bill Deg., Andy, Jeff F., Chris, Brian, Barry, Bill Drom., Bob A., Herb, and many "friends-of-MARCH" from other clubs and from the local tech/history scene in general. (Sorry if I forgot anyone.) Unfortunately Sridhar couldn't make it.

                  Bill Deg, Andy, and I had dinner at the ribs place.

                  Funny story: while waiting for my lecture room, I was talking to some co-ed who was also waiting. She said she's a junior at the college and got into computers from her dad, who's "around your age" - 50.

                  I'm 35.
                • Jeffrey Frady
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 25, 2010
                    Why don't I have her number????

                    --
                    See you space cowboy...
                  • Bob Applegate
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 25, 2010
                      On Apr 25, 2010, at 1:06 PM, evan@... wrote:

[...]

                      Ouch!

                      It was nice seeing everyone again!

                      I met up with another old Franklin guy and told him to go talk with you guys; not sure if Frank made his way over or not.  He was one of the hardware guys who is really into restoring older systems and might be very interested in working on some of the non-functioning stuff.

                      Bob

                    • Jeffrey Brace
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 25, 2010
                        Sounds great. Sorry I missed it !

                        About your funny story: Butthead would say, "huhuhuh, you're old".

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 26, 2010
                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:
                          > It was nice seeing everyone again!

                          Yes, nice to see everyone.
                          Thanks for stopping by our table.

                          Seems we were lucky to be in the Social Sciences building.
                          Some friends were working a table in the Student Center and they said
                          that it got pretty hot and uncomfortable over there on Saturday.

                          That said, we had a good amount of traffic and interest.
                          And as usual, quite a number of characters, who will be added to our lore. :)

                          Andy