Reminder for Workshop: Installing CP/M on your S-100 computer , signup begins today, Feb.1st

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2010

      Reminder:
      Installing CP/M on your S-100 computer workshop

      signup begins today, Feb.1st

      For the vintage computer enthusiasts, in conjunction with
      the MARCH Computer Museum and the Delaware Hackerspace
      group, we like to invite you to a new workshop this year
      involving vintage computers.

      This new workshop is about CP/M and it will
      teach you how to install, build and configure CP/M on your
      vintage S-100 computer system. All the necessary steps are
      shown during the lecture and afterward is a hands-on
      training session which will let you upgrade your S-100
      computer with a floppy disk based system and CP/M.
      Instruction and lecture will be provided by Rich Cini of
      the Altair32 emulator project.

      Please look at the link below about the workshop checklist
      for a detailed list of requirements about this workshop.
      You'll need to know what to prepare beforehand to get ready
      for this workshop. Ask any questions you have about getting
      ready before the start of the  workshop. A knowledge of
      assembly programming, S-100 hardware, and CP/M operation is
      required for this workshop. Please do not come unprepared.

      We currently have seats for 12 workbenches for those who
      want the hands-on training. An additional 10 seats are
      available for those who like to watch and learn. If we
      happen to get more requests for this workshop, we will try
      to accommodate as many people as possible. This is a first
      come, first serve event, sorry, but we cannot accommodate
      latecomers. Once the registration opens, please specify
      which seat you like to reserve.

      The workshop is located very close to I-95 for those that
      are drivng. More information can be found at the
      Delaware Hackerspace website below.

      Workshop Checklist - view message thread
      http://www.vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=310

      Address:
       103 W. 7th St.
       Wilmington, DE 19801

      Registration opens:
       Feb. 1st, 2010

      Signup deadline:
       Apr. 1st, 2010

      Workshop Date:
       Apr. 10th, 2010
       hours: Sat: 12noon - 7pm

      SPONSORS:
       Bill Degnan
       http://www.vintagecomputer.net/

       Delaware Hackerspace
       http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Delaware_Hackerspace

       Altair32 emulator project
       http://www.altair32.com/

       MARCH Computer Museum
       http://www.midatlanticretro.org/

      Please send any questions offline.
      Dan Roganti
      ragooman@...

      see you there !

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2010

        NOTE:
        If you have other computers such as the Kaypro, Advantage, etc which already have CP/M running, you can use this too. They just need to be 100% working. As this is not a repair workshop.

        Basically, even though it would have CP/M already running on this, the hands-on training will show you all the technical details about how to configure and install CP/M on your current machine. Then you can apply this knowledge to any other machine that wouldn't have CP/M already.

        You would need to get prepared with all the technical manuals for your machine to extract the configuration info so you can edit and patch the CP/M source code to support your machine (that's what you will learn). We would help in locating any manuals you might be missing.

        =Dan

      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2010
          It's Feb and that means TCF http://www.tcf-nj.org is coming in a few months and I didn't go last year and from what I was told, thats OK.

          Is there any reason to go this year?
          Is anyone going this year?

          I am more looking forward to Spring March party than TCF, but might as well get it out there.