RE: [midatlanticretro] Please read!! MARCH requests your donations...

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2005
      So far seven people (including me) donated.  Along with the $35 we had already, we now have $175.

      For those who haven't yet donated, what are you waiting for...?   :)

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2005
        I'm waiting to get some damn money. Totally broke :(

        > So far seven people (including me) donated. Along with the $35 we had
        > already, we now have $175.
        >
        > For those who haven't yet donated, what are you waiting for...? :)
        >
        > <http://www.snarc.net/march/> http://www.snarc.net/march/

        > _____

      • Evan
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 27, 2005
          Joe, as both a minor and "the new guy" you are excused from donating.

          In fact, on Nov. 12, don't be surprised if we donate some things to you.

          href="http://www.snarc.net/march/">http://www.snarc.net/march/> http://www.snarc.net/march/

        • starbase89@optonline.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 27, 2005
            I gotcha, but you got to understand something. Unlike most of you whom have at least an apartment, I am limited to one 10 x 15' room, which must also hold my bed, computer, books, desk etc, so I may not take much.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 27, 2005
              >>> Unlike most of you whom have at least an apartment, I am limited to one 10 x 15' room, which must also hold my bed, computer, books, desk etc

              We're able to store personal collections at Infoage.  You're very lucky for living so close!

              I forget if you were on the list when I explained this, but, one of the neat things about our museum project is that we can all take charge of specific restorations.  So for example, if you see something in the club collection that you want to learn about, just speak up and we'll hand it over.  Via this list (and other lists, web sites, in-person help, etc.), we'll help you master the item in question.  That way you learn stuff and help the club at the same time.  When it's restored, you bring it back to the museum, set it up, and then pick out something else.  Sort of like Netflix for tinkerers.  :)

              The whole idea is that ours will be a "working" museum for both club members and museum guests.  Normally, you go to a museum and either all the signs say "don't touch and no flash photography" or else it's all replicas and simulators.  Bah, humbug!  We want anyone and everyone to visit our museum, meet a club member who's an expert in whatever topic, and have the guests get to * use * the machines, take a lesson in servicing them, etc.

              How cool would it be if your computer teacher started the September with a quick lesson on computer history and then announced a field trip to Infoage to get to actually open and touch and use the stuff...?  One of our neighbors at Infoage will the NJ Science Teachers Association, so we should be able to make this happen.

              That is why we're all so darn enthusiastic.  More than just a museum, we're building a community vintage computing education center of sorts.

            • starbase89@optonline.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 27, 2005
                > if you see something in the
                > club collection
                > that you want to learn about, just speak up and we'll hand it over.
                > Via
                > this list (and other lists, web sites, in-person help, etc.), we'll
                > help you
                > master the item in question. That way you learn stuff and help the
                > club at
                > the same time. When it's restored, you bring it back to the
                > museum, set it
                > up, and then pick out something else. Sort of like Netflix for
                > tinkerers.:)
                I don't really have much electronics experience aside from soldering components onto a PCB, so I don't know how sucessful I'b be with a restoration.

                > The whole idea is that ours will be a "working" museum for both
                > club members
                > and museum guests. Normally, you go to a museum and either all the
                > signssay "don't touch and no flash photography" or else it's all
                > replicas and
                > simulators. Bah, humbug! We want anyone and everyone to visit our
                > museum,meet a club member who's an expert in whatever topic, and
                > have the guests
                > get to * use * the machines, take a lesson in servicing them, etc.
                Oh, you don't know. A few years ago, my family went down to Washington to the Air and Space Museum. I so wanted to touch the USS Enterprise, you have no idea.

                > How cool would it be if your computer teacher started the September
                > with a
                > quick lesson on computer history and then announced a field trip to
                > Infoageto get to actually open and touch and use the stuff...? One
                > of our
                > neighbors at Infoage will the NJ Science Teachers Association, so
                > we should
                > be able to make this happen.
                I actually have told my computer teacher about this. She has been teaching computer programming for 25 years in the same school, and watched as their computer system got more and more advanced.