Oooh! Oooh! RCA ....

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010
      Look what Dave Sica gave to MARCH tonight, via the recently closed David
      Sarnoff library:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/legodude522/4310658484/in/photostream/
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010
        > Look what Dave Sica gave to MARCH tonight, via the recently closed David Sarnoff library:
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/legodude522/4310658484/in/photostream/

        PS - Unlabeled thing on the left is a Microtutor.
      • Matthew Mikolay
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 28, 2010
          I'm extremely jealous right now! Hahahaha

          > Look what Dave Sica gave to MARCH tonight, via the recently closed David Sarnoff library:
          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/legodude522/4310658484/in/photostream/

          PS - Unlabeled thing on the left is a Microtutor.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Ray Sills
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 28, 2010
            OMG! (Drool).... That's my baby!! A for real honest-to-goodness RCA
            VIP!! YAY!

            73 de Ray

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 28, 2010
              I knew that!

              On Jan 28, 2010, at 1:11 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

              >> Look what Dave Sica gave to MARCH tonight, via the recently closed
              >> David Sarnoff library:
              >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/legodude522/4310658484/in/photostream/
              >
              > PS - Unlabeled thing on the left is a Microtutor.
              >

              > ----
            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 28, 2010
                Very Very Nice..

                Well I can donate my VCFE display so you can display that right away. I do think it should go in the "Made in NJ" area.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 28, 2010
                  > Look what Dave Sica gave to MARCH tonight, via the recently closed David Sarnoff library:
                  > http://www.flickr.com/photos/legodude522/4310658484/in/photostream/

                  Chris and our other RCA fans: I appreciate your enthusiasm!

                  We can fit this into our existing homebrew-era computers exhibit. Big
                  display case, not much currently inside it. Chris, let's talk offline
                  about your previous VCF exhibit.
                • Bill Degnan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 28, 2010
                    This is not necessarily homebrew era, rather later 70's early 80's. That's
                    when all of the SBC magazines were most popular.
                    bd

                  • evan@snarc.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 28, 2010
                      The exhibit covers both technologies -- homebrew computers + SBC.

                      Like all ours exhibits, it could use a refresh presentation-wise. I fully admit that we rushed these exhibits to have * something * ready for the previous VCF East. Hoping to make them all much nicer in 2010.

                      This is not necessarily homebrew era, rather later 70's early 80's. That's
                      when all of the SBC magazines were most popular.
                      bd

                      > > Look what Dave Sica gave to MARCH tonight, via the recently closed
                      David Sarnoff library:
                      > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/legodude522/4310658484/in/photostream/
                      >
                      > Chris and our other RCA fans: I appreciate your enthusiasm!
                      >
                      > We can fit this into our existing homebrew-era computers exhibit. Big
                      > display case, not much currently inside it. Chris, let's talk offline
                      > about your previous VCF exhibit.

                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 28, 2010

                        > The exhibit covers both technologies -- homebrew computers + SBC.

                        I was wondering what you call 'homebrew' That's typically the homebuilt variety of computers, as in, hand-wired, wirewrapped, custom design machines (not one of the brands). Computer kits sold retail back then wouldn't fall into this, if it's Altair kit or a KIM-1 kit. That was just the inexpensive way of owning your own computer, rather than buying an assembled machine.

                        =Dan
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 28, 2010
                          >> The exhibit covers both technologies -- homebrew computers + SBC.
                          > I was wondering what you call 'homebrew' That's typically the homebuilt variety .... Computer kits sold retail back then wouldn't fall into this, if it's Altair kit or a KIM-1 kit.

                          Sign on the door says "Homebrew-era" to cover ourselves. :)

                          Contents of the room currently include:
                          - TV Typewriter II
                          - Altair 8800 w/ ASR-33
                          - IMSAI 8080 w/ ADM3A
                          - Space allocated for Processor Tech. SOL-20 from Sridhar ....
                          HELLLLOOOOOO Sridhar, where are you?
                          - True homebrew'ed computer from Bill Dudley, who lives close to Infoage
                          and also gave us the TVT-II
                          - Display case containing some SBC dev kits, Byte V.1/#1, Creative
                          Computing Vol.1/#1, and space for more stuff .... we're waiting on a
                          Replica 1 (from Vince) and we are trying to find where we put our KIM-1.
                          (Not lost!!!! Just probably buried somewhere.)
                        • Bill Degnan
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 28, 2010
                            The homebrew era was over before the ELF came out. Homebrew era is
                            typically considered 1970-1975, maybe 1976. Elf was later. I know it's
                            not that big of a deal, I don't really care, except to just say that the
                            low-cost SBC computers were most popular after the homebrew era. The sbc's
                            were pre-fab kits that you assembled. Homebrew to me means you build the
                            entire computer yourself without any pre-fab kit. Another way to look at
                            the ElF - it's a 2nd generation homebrew/SBC era computer.

                            ok dead horse beaten.

                            Bill

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 28, 2010
                              >>> the low-cost SBC computers were most popular after the homebrew era.

                              Correct. That's why the homebrew-era stuff is in the first half of the room, and SBC stuff is in the second half.