Re: [midatlanticretro] Phone Number / Load-in Info for Tech Weekend (Jan 30-31)

    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010
      > Phone Number for Tech Weekend Jan 30-31.
      >
      > Call this number when you arrive for access:
      >
      > 302 295 2249 (this is the # of the 1st floor IP phone)
      >
      > 1. Pull up to 103 W. 7th and park, no meter/money needed.
      > 2. Call
      > 3. Someone will let you know where to park and how to load in from the
      > back of the building.

      Starting around what time?
    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010

        > > Call this number when you arrive for access:
        > >
        > > 302 295 2249 (this is the # of the 1st floor IP phone)
        > >

        > Starting around what time?

        Start calling now.

        I expect the first people to start arriving in the late morning?? I don't
        know. I will be there some time between 9-11, unless someone says they
        will be there definitely before 11, and in which case I will be there to
        match the first person's arrival.

        bd
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010
          On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

          > I expect the first people to start arriving in the late morning?? I don't
          > know. I will be there some time between 9-11, unless someone says they
          > will be there definitely before 11, and in which case I will be there to
          > match the first person's arrival.

          I hope to arrive around 1:00 P.M. I'm bringing my IMSAI and drives,
          along with a Televideo terminal to repair.

          Who else is going?

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010

            > I hope to arrive around 1:00 P.M. I'm bringing my IMSAI and drives,

            > along with a Televideo terminal to repair.

            Is this for CP/M prep? I may bring mine then too, I think Dan may be
            bringing his IMSAI. I plan to start working on the machine that will be my
            CP/M class machine.

            I was also going to bring my Altair 8800b, because it's stable, and I have
            a probably working I/O card (Dan is bringing 3 of my I/O cards) and boot
            prom. I have already tested that the boot prom loads into memory, etc.
            It's looking for an Altair SIO.

            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010
              > Who else is going?

              I'll probably get there around noon-ish .... just in time for lunch!
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010
                On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

                > Is this for CP/M prep? I may bring mine then too, I think Dan may be
                > bringing his IMSAI. I plan to start working on the machine that will be my
                > CP/M class machine.

                CP/M, yes. The machine itself works, but it's not talking to the
                drives. If I get that working, I may take a whack at the 68K coprocessor
                board and CP/M-68K.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010

                  ----- Mike Loewen wrote:
                  > On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:
                  >
                  > > Is this for CP/M prep?  I may bring mine then too, I think Dan may be
                  > > bringing his IMSAI.  I plan to start working on the machine that will be my
                  > > CP/M class machine.
                  >
                  >     CP/M, yes.  The machine itself works, but it's not talking to the
                  > drives.  If I get that working, I may take a whack at the 68K coprocessor
                  > board and CP/M-68K.

                  I will bring mine too. I like to finally fix my Z80 card. I can bring the Zapple Monitor Rom, we can build that and install it. I'll have my eprom burner station too.

                  But I finally
                  want to copy the Cutter Monitor Rom. Is that in a 2716 or 9216 ? I dont have an 9216 adapter yet, but I think I can make one there, it's a couple of pins.

                  I'll have your stuff too Bill.
                  Would you have an extra terminal there ?

                  I'll bring my equipment, tools and parts too.

                  =Dan

                • Bill Degnan
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010
                    9216. I would love to help! Can we convert to a more common format like
                    1702's? My Processor Tech Prom card (used for Cutter) has a bad
                    compontent and the boot does not complete. After the data loads into
                    memory, gets stuck in a loop.
                    Bill

                    >I'll have my eprom burner station too.
                    >
                    > But I finally want to copy the Cutter Monitor Rom. Is that in a 2716 or
                    9216 ? I dont have an 9216 adapter yet, but I think I can make one there,
                    it's a couple of pins.

                    > I'll have your stuff too Bill.

                    awesome

                    > Would you have an extra terminal there ?

                    I will make sure I have at least one reliable terminal on hand, in addition
                    to my laptop with the terminal emulator.
                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010

                      Bill Degnan wrote:
                      9216.  I would love to help!  Can we convert to a more common format like
                      1702's?   My Processor Tech Prom card (used for Cutter) has a bad
                      compontent and the boot does not complete.  After the data loads into
                      memory, gets stuck in a loop.

                      Is the the GPM card ?
                      The smallest that can use is a 2708. The card must be compatible with 2716 since the 9216 rom is wired on there for the same logic level on the chip select pins(that Rom is configurable at the manufacturer).

                      Plus, I rather make a 2716, mainly because I don't have a 1702/2708 programmer(another To Do), it would too many 1702's to hold that monitor rom - jeesh- plus the 2716 is just the right size(not to big, not to small) and easy to get, and it's compatible with all 6116 ram cards.

                      The loop problem sounds weird
                      Are you sure the SIO card is ok?
                      Do you at least get a prompt ?
                      Sounds like it's going to be a looong wknd :)
                      I think we better order in

                      =Dan

                    • BDegnan
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010
                        Dan we don't have to try to fix the gpm, what I meant really is-can we transport the CUTTER prom image to any prom(s) as long as the end result is that cutter ends up in c000?
                        bd

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010

                          BDegnan wrote:
                          Dan we don't have to try to fix the gpm, what I meant really is-can we transport the CUTTER prom image to any prom(s) as long as the end result is that cutter ends up in c000?
                          bd

                          oh yeah, no problem.

                          =Dan

                        • Bill Degnan
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010

                            > BDegnan wrote:
                            >
                            > Dan
                            > we don't have to try to fix the gpm, what I meant really is-can we
                            > transport the CUTTER prom image to any prom(s) as long as the end
                            > result is that cutter ends up in c000?
                            >
                            > bd
                            >
                            > oh yeah, no problem.

                            Because if so, I can put CUTTER on one of these:
                            http://vintagecomputer.net/MITS/S-100_cards/
                            using 1702(s). The C000 address space is still open on this card.

                            Bill
                          • Dan Roganti
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010
                              Mike,

                              Can we make some foam pads too for the TRS80 Model II kybd ??

                              =Dan
                            • Mike Loewen
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010
                                On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Dan Roganti wrote:

                                > Can we make some foam pads too for the TRS80 Model II kybd ??

                                If you can find some suitable foam, then yes. Our hobby shop closed up
                                and I don't have any other local sources. I can bring the punch, rubber
                                cement and mylar foil.

                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                              • Bill Degnan
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010
                                  There is a Lowes near by, I thought you mentioned Lowes was where you got
                                  the foam the last time? I also have a Model II keyboard, but to my
                                  knowlege it's OK.
                                  Bill

                                  > > Can we make some foam pads too for the TRS80 Model II kybd ??
                                  >
                                  > If you can find some suitable foam, then yes. Our hobby shop closed
                                  up
                                  > and I don't have any other local sources. I can bring the punch, rubber

                                  > cement and mylar foil.
                                  >

                                  > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                                • Dan Roganti
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010

                                    > On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Dan Roganti wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Can we make some foam pads too for the TRS80 Model II kybd ??
                                    >
                                    > If you can find some suitable foam, then yes. Our hobby shop closed up
                                    > and I don't have any other local sources. I can bring the punch, rubber
                                    > cement and mylar foil.

                                    ok, I'll take a look aroun here, there's a bunch of hobby shops.
                                    I can't remember what should I look for again, and what thickness ?

                                    =Dan
                                  • Mike Loewen
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010
                                      On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

                                      > There is a Lowes near by, I thought you mentioned Lowes was where you got
                                      > the foam the last time? I also have a Model II keyboard, but to my
                                      > knowlege it's OK.

                                      I couldn't find anything suitable at Lowe's, so I used 3mm track bed
                                      from the local hobby shop.
                                    • Dan Roganti
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010

                                        > I couldn't find anything suitable at Lowe's, so I used 3mm track bed
                                        > from the local hobby shop.

                                        oh ok, that should be easy to find.
                                        I didn't remember it was so thin, 3 millimeters ?

                                        =Dan
                                      • Mike Loewen
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010
                                          On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Dan Roganti wrote:

                                          > oh ok, that should be easy to find.
                                          > I didn't remember it was so thin, 3 millimeters ?

                                          Sorry, brain-phart. It's 5mm (sort-of 3/16"), brand is Woodland
                                          Scenics.

                                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                        • Dan Roganti
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010

                                            > On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Dan Roganti wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > oh ok, that should be easy to find.
                                            > > I didn't remember it was so thin, 3 millimeters ?
                                            >
                                            > Sorry, brain-phart. It's 5mm (sort-of 3/16"), brand is Woodland
                                            > Scenics.

                                            ok, I found it, there's some down the road from me at the local Hobby shop. I'll pickup a bunch.

                                            =Dan
                                          • Bill Degnan
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010
                                              Dan,
                                              If you buy some, I will pay you back for the amt needed to repair a
                                              keyboard.
                                              bd
                                              > > I didn't remember it was so thin, 3 millimeters ?
                                              >
                                              > Sorry, brain-phart. It's 5mm (sort-of 3/16"), brand is Woodland
                                              > Scenics.
                                              >

                                              > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                                            • Dan Roganti
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010

                                                > Dan,
                                                > If you buy some, I will pay you back for the amt needed to repair a
                                                > keyboard.

                                                no problemo, just buy me lunch there :)

                                                =Dan
                                              • Bill Degnan
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010
                                                  OK

                                                  > > If you buy some, I will pay you back for the amt needed to repair a
                                                  > > keyboard.
                                                  >

                                                  > no problemo, just buy me lunch there :)
                                                  >
                                                  > =Dan

                                                • Dan Roganti
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010

                                                    Dan Roganti wrote:

                                                    On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Dan Roganti wrote:

                                                    oh ok, that should be easy to find.
                                                    I didn't remember it was so thin, 3 millimeters ?

                                                        Sorry, brain-phart.  It's 5mm (sort-of 3/16"), brand is Woodland
                                                    Scenics.

                                                    ok, I found it, there's some down the road from me at the local Hobby shop. I'll pickup a bunch.

                                                    =Dan

                                                    I picked up three sheets of this stuff. They're about 12" x 24" and it's the 5mm thickness.
                                                    This should be enough, in case anyone else needs to make some.

                                                    =Dan