Another update from Fred @ Infoage

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 26, 2005
      Says Fred:

      - There is a good chance the second half of the Grabbe collection will be
      transferred by early November, meaning it'll be ready for our Nov. 12 work
      day
      - The floor of the "hotel" area (main building) had its holes patched and
      was painted with a gray sealant (carpet to come early next year, I think)
      - Fred will get the basement lights working for Nov. 12 and we'll move ALL
      of our collection to one secure room with shelves
      - A reminder: this Friday (Oct. 28) is an Infoage social event for anyone
      who supports the overall projects and their families.

      The original email about this Friday (radio club version but applies to
      MARCH as well):

      >>> Most of you should have received an invitation to the InfoAge Member
      Mixer at 7:30 PM Friday evening, October 28 at the Marconi Hotel, Camp
      Evans, Wall, NJ. If not, consider this your invitation and/or urge that you
      attend. InfoAge is very important to NJARC and is quickly gathering steam.
      It is vital that we show our physical and financial support and we can have
      a good time while we are at it. Come meet other InfoAge supporters, you do
      not need to be a member, all that is required is that you have an interest
      in making this project successful. Please RSVP no later than October 21,
      2005 by calling 732-776-6261. Indicate the number of people in your party
      and leave a name and phone number. Admission is $10.00 per person, attire
      is casual and refreshments will be served. Hope to see you there.

      I'll probably go for a couple of hours. Would be nice to see other MARCHers
      there. Anyone interested?

      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
        In <001701c5db5a$29ed14f0$6401a8c0@owneriywbc5o7y>, on 10/27/05 at 08:54
        PM,
        "Evan" <evan947@...> said:

        >I know it's still a couple of weeks away, just wondering if any of the
        >tenatives can confirm, and if others are interested. The work day
        >(starting at 10 AM) is an excellent time to bring anything from your
        >personal collections that needs storage space -- Fred assured me the room
        >where we'll be has shelves and a lock on the door -- it may even have
        >(gasp!) working electric lights. :)
        >
        >The list on Oct. 16 was thus:
        >- Me (Evan)
        >- John A.
        >- Bill D.
        >- John M. ("john-apw")
        >- Mark D. (tentative)

        Evan,

        I would definitely like to be there, but I may not be able to make it by
        10AM. How late are you planning to be there? if I got there by 11 or
        latest 12, would that be too late?

        Mark

        --

        From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

        Warpstock 2005, Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6 - 9, 2005 http://www.warpstock.org
        Warpstock Europe 2005, Dresden, Germany, Nov. 18-20 http://www.warpstock.net

        For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE - http://www.os2voice.org

        "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
          I know it's still a couple of weeks away, just wondering if any of the tenatives can confirm, and if others are interested.  The work day (starting at 10 AM) is an excellent time to bring anything from your personal collections that needs storage space -- Fred assured me the room where we'll be has shelves and a lock on the door -- it may even have (gasp!) working electric lights.  :)

          The list on Oct. 16 was thus:
          - Me (Evan)
          - John A.
          - Bill D.
          - John M. ("john-apw")
          - Mark D. (tentative)
          - Bob Grieb (tentative)
          - Joe G. & friends

          Who'd I forget?

          - There is a good chance the second half of the Grabbe collection will be
          transferred by early November, meaning it'll be ready for our Nov. 12 work
          day
          - The floor of the "hotel" area (main building) had its holes patched and
          was painted with a gray sealant (carpet to come early next year, I think)
          - Fred will get the basement lights working for Nov. 12 and we'll move ALL
          of our collection to one secure room with shelves
          - A reminder: this Friday (Oct. 28) is an Infoage social event for anyone
          who supports the overall projects and their families.

          The original email about this Friday (radio club version but applies to
          MARCH as well):

          >>> Most of you should have received an invitation to the
          InfoAge Member
          Mixer at 7:30 PM Friday evening, October 28 at the Marconi Hotel, Camp
          Evans, Wall, NJ.  If not, consider this your invitation and/or urge that you
          attend.  InfoAge is very important to NJARC and is quickly gathering steam.
          It is vital that we show our physical and financial support and we can have
          a good time while we are at it.  Come meet other InfoAge supporters, you do
          not need to be a member, all that is required is that you have an interest
          in making this project successful.  Please RSVP no later than October 21,
          2005 by calling 732-776-6261.  Indicate the number of people in your party
          and leave a name and phone number.  Admission is $10.00 per person, attire
          is casual and refreshments will be served.  Hope to see you there.

          I'll probably go for a couple of hours.  Would be nice to see other MARCHers
          there.  Anyone interested?

        • Bob Grieb
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
            Evan,

            I will be there. Also, I plan to donate a nice, fairly
            new folding table instead of cash. I hope that will be OK. It could
            be useful at places like TCF, or maybe just at InfoAge.

            Bob Grieb

            __________________________________
            http://farechase.yahoo.com
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
              That's great Bob, thank you!  TCF supplies its own tables but we'll certainly use it for VCF and the museum.  :)

              Okay, so, a good point -- strong folding tables are an acceptable substitute for cash!

              --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

              > I know it's still a couple of weeks away, just wondering if
              any of
              > the
              > tenatives can confirm, and if others are
              interested.  The work day
              > (starting
              > at 10 AM) is an
              excellent time to bring anything from your personal
              > collections that
              needs storage space -- Fred assured me the room
              > where we'll
              > be
              has shelves and a lock on the door -- it may even have (gasp!)

              working
              > electric lights.  :)

              > The list on
              Oct. 16 was thus:
              > - Me (Evan)
              > - John A.
              > - Bill
              D.
              > - John M. ("john-apw")
              > - Mark D. (tentative)
              > - Bob
              Grieb (tentative)
              > - Joe G. & friends

              > Who'd I
              forget?

              homepage: http://www.snarc.net

              href="http://news.computercollector.com">http://news.computercollector.com

              > Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists & Museum:

              >   _____
              >
              > YAHOO!
              GROUPS LINKS

              *      Visit your group "midatlanticretro

              > *      Your use
              of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              > Service

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              >   _____

              __________________________________
              http://farechase.yahoo.com
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
                >>> Evan,

                I would definitely like to be there, but I may not be able to make it by 10AM.  How late are you planning to be there?  if I got there by 11 or latest 12, would that be too late?

                Mark

                That's fine, we'll be there all day.

                >I know it's still a couple of weeks away, just
                wondering if any of the
                >tenatives can confirm, and if others are
                interested.  The work day
                >(starting at 10 AM) is an excellent time
                to bring anything from your
                >personal collections that needs storage space
                -- Fred assured me the room
                >where we'll be has shelves and a lock on the
                door -- it may even have
                >(gasp!) working electric lights.
                :)

                >The list on Oct. 16 was thus:
                >- Me (Evan)
                >-
                John A.
                >- Bill D.
                >- John M. ("john-apw")
                >- Mark D.
                (tentative)

                Evan,

                I would definitely like to be there, but I may not be able to make it by
                10AM.  How late are you planning to be there?  if I got there by 11 or
                latest 12, would that be too late?

                Mark

              • John Allain
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
                  I haven't raved about infoAge yet but I did go a week ago and it's a
                  Fine place if you look at it a few months ahead. It's a really large
                  building with lots of rooms for expansion. I don't know anything like
                  a 5-year plan that they might have but this place could really grow!
                  I saw 1 massive area with two more connected hallways, each hallway
                  seeming to have at least 16 adequately sized rooms. Biig!

                  I'm tempted to run some doorbell wire to the guardshack.
                  There's like this 9 foot fence all the way around the building.
                  It's a little *too* secure for unscheduled visits as I discovered ;}

                  John A.
                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 27, 2005
                    Plus, they will soon carpet all those rooms.  Some of the rooms on the second floor are already carpeted... I bet you didn't see the second floor or the attic.  :)

                    And that's just one building!  Infoage is getting the WHOLE BASE in time.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 28, 2005
                      Should've been there in the old days...
                      Took my kid to the doctor the other day and saw the area from the road for the first time since 86 or so when I supported all the DEC hardware down there.

                      Geez... looks like it's seen better times (from the outside).  The buildings there were never much beyond WWII/Korea cinderblock or quonset hut stuff and the air conditioning for the machines was always marginal -- but they kept them painted and they looked a lot better
                      than they do now.

                      I'm sorry it took the Army, county and township this lo clean 'em up and turn them over.
                      Had they got it in '88 or so at the first BRAC it would've been in "move in" conidition.

                      Anyway, I wonder what's going to happen with the Hexagon (Myers Center) in Eatontown/Tinton Falls... and the stuff on the Little Silver - Oceanport line when the BRAC closing happens.

                      The Myers center is a 5 story building with full Auditiorium with all the AV trimmings
                      and pretty good computer rooms (Libert AC and such).

                      Boy it would make  a good college/trade school/museum -- but it'll probably go to condos like the Cecom building.  The Cecom building was leased and it used to house a number of IBM mainframes for the Fort.  (being buldozed for more adult condos )

                      Bill

                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 28, 2005
                        Hi all,

                        I just got home from tonight's party at Infoage.  It was a very good night for MARCH.

                        Fred had told me about the improvements to the main room of the "hotel" building (where we were in August and where VCF East will be, as explained in the message below), but when I saw it for myself tonight, I was blown away!  The room looks MUCH better.  Back in August it was dirty, mostly unpainted, lots of broken tiles, even some large gaps in the floor.  No longer!  The old tile is gone, the floor is filled in, and it's all covered in decent-looking light gray paint.  At this point it looks quite presentable, and they didn't even install the carpeting yet.  It's much easier now to visualize us holding VCF next spring in this room.

                        They also gave tours of the attic tonight -- we already saw the second floor but never the attic.  Back during WWII, there were several small, secret rooms installed in the attic and the rooms were all surrounded by metal wire shielding so they could develop RADAR without outside interference.  If you think the basement is cool, wait until ya'll see the attic someday.

                        John M. (john_apw to most of us): tonight I got into the room where you dropped off the recent haul.  At first Fred thought we were locked out of there, but then we realized the adjacent room was unlocked and you can walk between the rooms. :)   Fred also pointed out the far end of the basement that you told me about.

                        Back in the main room, during the party, I met three people who are interested in our club.  One guy (Leo Assur) said he might know a local place getting rid of multiple Prime and General Electric computers.  Good stuff!

                        I also ran into Frank, aka the guy who owns the Apollo command computer.  He and a friend of his (Joe Levy) might come to our Nov. 12 work day.  Frank was able to identify many of the things in the basement (Grabbe) collection that we previously could not identify.  For example, those two small but HEAVY cylindrical things which we thought were either drive units or mini-supercomputer cores -- he said those are "cells" (not sure what that means exactly) from an IBM 20-somthing system.  Sorry I didn't get the details... the good news is Frank is readily accessible and not a gray-hair, so he'll be around to help us for a long time.

                        - Evan

                        - There is a good chance the second half of the Grabbe collection will be
                        transferred by early November, meaning it'll be ready for our Nov. 12 work
                        day
                        - The floor of the "hotel" area (main building) had its holes patched and
                        was painted with a gray sealant (carpet to come early next year, I think)
                        - Fred will get the basement lights working for Nov. 12 and we'll move ALL
                        of our collection to one secure room with shelves
                        - A reminder: this Friday (Oct. 28) is an Infoage social event for anyone
                        who supports the overall projects and their families.

                        The original email about this Friday (radio club version but applies to
                        MARCH as well):

                        >>> Most of you should have received an invitation to the
                        InfoAge Member
                        Mixer at 7:30 PM Friday evening, October 28 at the Marconi Hotel, Camp
                        Evans, Wall, NJ.  If not, consider this your invitation and/or urge that you
                        attend.  InfoAge is very important to NJARC and is quickly gathering steam.
                        It is vital that we show our physical and financial support and we can have
                        a good time while we are at it.  Come meet other InfoAge supporters, you do
                        not need to be a member, all that is required is that you have an interest
                        in making this project successful.  Please RSVP no later than October 21,
                        2005 by calling 732-776-6261.  Indicate the number of people in your party
                        and leave a name and phone number.  Admission is $10.00 per person, attire
                        is casual and refreshments will be served.  Hope to see you there.

                        I'll probably go for a couple of hours.  Would be nice to see other MARCHers
                        there.  Anyone interested?

                      • Frank_OBrien
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 29, 2005
                          Hey folks;

                          Saw this note, thought it would be good to reply..

                          > I just got home from tonight's party at Infoage. It was a very
                          good night
                          > for MARCH.

                          Yeah, it really was a super get together. It's essential for more of
                          the MARCH'ers to attend functions like this, if only to see what goes
                          on in such a large, grass-roots project. Plus meeting and greeting
                          our core group of supporters (including the local political
                          officials, some who have "kept the faith" for a decade or more) is
                          absolutely key, both to show them who you are, and to demonstrate
                          a "wide and deep" level of support for Infoage. Remember - Fred,
                          myself and many other folks essentially saved the site from being
                          turned into condos and stip malls. By attending these functions
                          demonstrates to the local city officials that their decisions were
                          not a mistake. Plus, hey, you may get your picture in the paper!

                          > Fred had told me about the improvements to the main room of
                          the "hotel"
                          > building (where we were in August and where VCF East will be, as
                          explained
                          > in the message below), but when I saw it for myself tonight, I was
                          blown
                          > away! The room looks MUCH better. Back in August it was dirty,
                          mostly
                          > unpainted, lots of broken tiles, even some large gaps in the
                          floor. No
                          > longer! The old tile is gone, the floor is filled in, and it's all
                          covered
                          > in decent-looking light gray paint. At this point it looks quite
                          > presentable, and they didn't even install the carpeting yet. It's
                          much
                          > easier now to visualize us holding VCF next spring in this room.

                          Yeah, the Dining Room (as it was originally known as) has been
                          improved tremendously. It still needs a real paint job (the existing
                          job hides a multitude of sins, but it honestly needs to be done
                          right). Hopefully I'll get that done in the next month or so....

                          > I also ran into Frank, aka the guy who owns the Apollo command
                          computer. He
                          > and a friend of his (Joe Levy) might come to our Nov. 12 work day.

                          We'll see what happens - but I'm sure we can work something out. Joe
                          and I worked on a lot of this stuff "back in the day" - so there is a
                          lot we can add. Key to this is going to be recording this info - you
                          *are* planning on videotaping, photographing and logging all this
                          info, aren't you? If not, I belive there is a good document that the
                          Smithsonian has put together on this kind of archiving. It's a
                          standard that we need to be working at. This is the necessary kind of
                          professionalism that is key to Infoage. Hey, we may be small, poor
                          and have rooms that need a lot of paint, but that's no excuse for not
                          operating at a level that would make the Smithsoniam proud!

                          > Frank
                          > was able to identify many of the things in the basement (Grabbe)
                          collection
                          > that we previously could not identify. For example, those two
                          small but
                          > HEAVY cylindrical things which we thought were either drive units or
                          > mini-supercomputer cores -- he said those are "cells" (not sure
                          what that
                          > means exactly) from an IBM 20-somthing system.

                          Mini-supercomputer cores ???

                          I'm almost sure they are units from an IBM 2321 Data Cell. They were
                          really quite remarkable devices, the very few times they worked right
                          (not unlike their 3850 Mass Storage System :-) ). Now, those brought
                          up in the PC era have little concept of "removeable storage" in the
                          old mainframe sense, but it was a huge part of data processing "back
                          in the day". Data Cells were like slices of pie, with several megs of
                          data on a continous tape. The tape was somewhat addressable, not
                          completely unlike DECTape. So, you had the density and cost/bit of
                          tape, and almost the random access of disk. When running work, you
                          mounted up your Data Cell Cartridge(s), and you were off. That is,
                          until they broke, which is one of the many reasons why we don't look
                          lovingly at Data Cells today....

                          >the good news is Frank is readily accessible and not a gray-hair,
                          > so he'll be around to help us for a long time.

                          This is good to hear, I guess... however, my beard is more white than
                          other colors....

                          My availability is actually a bit limited - I work at another museum
                          (the Cradle of Aviation on Long Island, specializing in the Lunar
                          Module), and my usual Dickensonian work schedule. I am also the Co-
                          Editor of the Apollo Flight Journal, and Contributing Editor for the
                          Apollo Lunar Surface Journal, both online NASA publications. So,
                          things get a bit busy at times (and I'm chronically behind!)...

                          Anyway, time to run...

                          All the best,

                          Frank
                        • Evan
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 29, 2005
                            Thanks for the input, Frank, we appreciate it!  I didn't realize there were local politicians there; would have told them about our group.  Oh well.

                            We definitely plan to log everything and take photographs.

                            With a strict "look but don't touch!" agreement, we'd love to someday have you eventually display the Apollo system in our museum.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                              Anyone else?  (See list below)

                              10:00 is great, any later than 10:30 and we'll volunteer you for snacks duty.

                              Speaking of which, if you do arrive once we're already downstairs, don't waste your time trying to call our cell phones -- they won't work down there.  What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already) is enter the main building, walk down the hall to your left, turn right at the end, walk through the main room, and take the stairs at the end on the right to go down.  Most important, especially if you're tall, WATCH YOUR HEADS down there.  I'm only 5-8 and learned this the difficult way!  Looooooow ceilings in the basement.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                > Anyone else? (See list below)

                                I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
                                want to be driving home by 6.

                                Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                                will be getting in each others way?

                                Did they get the rest of the collection?

                                I saw the bring camera. Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
                                down on paper best? Anything else useful to bring?

                                > What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
                                > is enter the main building

                                Is it obvious which the main building is?

                                David Gesswein
                                http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
                              • Evan
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                  >>> Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                                  will be getting in each others way?

                                  More people is better.  Moreover, you'll enjoy seeing the facility where our museum and VCF East will happen.

                                  >>> Did they get the rest of the collection?

                                  I think that's imminent, and I expect to hear from Fred about this in the nexy day or two.

                                  >>> Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it down on paper best?

                                  Totally up to you.  An electronic record will be simpler because it'll all got to be put in a database eventually, but using your laptop in a basement with a hard floor and all might not be a good idea.

                                  Yes.  Just in case, here's a photo from when it was the brand-new Marconi headquartes in 1914: http://infoage.org/images/wa7ht-2.jpg ... today there's a tall fence around it, but the building looks almost identical.  Facing the building from Marconi Rd., park in the lot to the right side.  Then enter through the front door and follow the directions to the basement as described in my previous email.

                                  I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
                                  want to be driving home by 6.

                                  Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                                  will be getting in each others way?

                                  Did they get the rest of the collection?

                                  I saw the bring camera.  Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
                                  down on paper best?  Anything else useful to bring?

                                  > What you do instead (for
                                  those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
                                  > is enter the main
                                  building

                                  Is it obvious which the main building is?

                                  David Gesswein
                                  http://www.pdp8.net/  -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
                                • Chris M
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                    I can't actually guarantee I'll be there, but chances
                                    are high. And of course if I am...I'll be late ;).
                                    Unemployed hobos like me like to sleep late.
                                    As to what to bring, I don't have a clue. If anyone
                                    is specifically interested in a Tandy 1000...a ONE
                                    followed by 3 ZEROS...I could bring that along, just
                                    so I don't seem like a stiff. I don't really have that
                                    much that anyone would want really. Anything non-pc is
                                    basically in need of total overhaul. I think I have
                                    some DEC books, but I'd even have to check that. I'm
                                    open to suggestions.
                                    Evan, just to be clear, we're talking about the
                                    "hotel" where we met during the summer?

                                    __________________________________
                                    http://farechase.yahoo.com
                                  • Evan
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                      >>> "hotel" where we met during the summer?
                                      Yup.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                        David,
                                        If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                                        waiting for you...
                                        Bill

                                        At 05:31 PM 11/9/2005 -0500, you wrote:
                                        > > Anyone else? (See list below)
                                        > >
                                        >I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
                                        >want to be driving home by 6.
                                        >
                                        >Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                                        >will be getting in each others way?
                                        >
                                        >Did they get the rest of the collection?
                                        >
                                        >I saw the bring camera. Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
                                        >down on paper best? Anything else useful to bring?
                                        >
                                        > > What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
                                        > > is enter the main building
                                        > >
                                        >Is it obvious which the main building is?
                                        >
                                        >David Gesswein
                                        >http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
                                        >

                                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • David Gesswein
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                          > If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                                          > waiting for you...

                                          I suspect my arrival time isn't going to be predictable enough to make that
                                          worthwhile.

                                          Do you know which model 8?
                                        • John Allain
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                            > I think I have some DEC books, but I'd even have to check that.
                                            > I'm open to suggestions.

                                            Chris,
                                            When John M. packed up the DECMate books there were a lot
                                            of 2-of-a-kinds. If you could bring the dupes for me, that could
                                            equal a nice contribution/donation.
                                            John A.
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                              I do not. It was dark, I assume it was a PDP/8 but I did not write it
                                              down. There's a chance that it's not even a PDP/8...anyone remember?
                                              bd

                                              At 09:06 PM 11/9/2005 -0500, you wrote:
                                              > > If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                                              > > waiting for you...
                                              > >
                                              >I suspect my arrival time isn't going to be predictable enough to make that
                                              >worthwhile.
                                              >
                                              >Do you know which model 8?
                                              >

                                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            • Evan
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                                                David, I'm confused, do you still plan to attend?

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Nov 10, 2005
                                                  > David, I'm confused, do you still plan to attend?

                                                  Yes. The not worthwhile was for somebody standing around outside waiting for
                                                  me to show up since my arrival time is likely to be somewhat unpredictable.