Was: Univac IS NOW: THIS WEEKEND, Tech Weekend Jan 30-31.

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 25, 2010
      Thanks for the segway Evan.

      I am looking forward to getting together with everyone this weekend. Bring
      a sleeping bag and pillow if you're staying over. There is a fridge and
      microwave, lots of room. This is a work weekend, but we will probably go
      out for a quick dinner at some point. You can park in the front of the
      building and then I can show you where you can park safely. Note that the
      street is blocked right after my building, so you can't drive through the
      block, despite what your GPS says. THe blocked road will not prevent
      access however, and it make it easier to load and unload.

      103 w. 7th St
      Wilmington, DE 19801

      Although there won't be as much stuff in Wilmington as I have at my house,
      most of you have not seen my PDP 11's and PDP 8e, the IBM Series 1, Xerox
      Star, newer (386/486/Amiga items) and lots of junk, er, parts. I have a
      lot of loose disk drives and hard drives in boxes. Plus all my vinage game
      systems, and a MAME computer in a arcade cabinet, an original Williams
      Paddleball (PONG clone) arcade game (10 cents a play), and MARCH's Dynastar
      S-100 computer and drive system.

      Please clean your stuff before you bring it, OK? It does not have to look
      like new, but don't bring "rodent dropping-laden", "not sure what that
      liquid is in the chassis" stuff. Bring your own tools. Trading is welcome.
      Although I was told by the parking attendant that people could part for
      free over the weekend behind my building, I am not responsible for lost or
      stolen items, etc.

      Ta.

      Bill

      > For now, our immediate focus is Bill's tech weekend (t-minus four days),

      > and I'll change the partial Univac exhibit into a general
      > ENIAC/UNIVAC/Camp Evans connection exhibit. As the weather gets a tad
      > warmer we can revisit our storage organization project, etc. -- putting
      > all of our *** SMALL *** / non-castered items on pallets or other
      > rolling carts is something Fred wants us to do, and I agree.

    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 25, 2010
        Does anyone headed for Bill's place this weekend have a spare AGP 4X
        video card, with at least 16MB of RAM?

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • joprysko1
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 26, 2010
          Looking forward to this weekend, although not sure if I will be staying over, or just coming for one day.

          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010
            Phone Number for Tech Weekend Jan 30-31.

            Call this number when you arrive for access:

            302 295 2249 (this is the # of the 1st floor IP phone)

            1. Pull up to 103 W. 7th and park, no meter/money needed.
            2. Call
            3. Someone will let you know where to park and how to load in from the
            back of the building.

            Bill
          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010

              http://news.yahoo.com/comics/pc-and-pixel#id=/comics/100121/cx_pcpixel_umedia/20102101

              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010

                http://news.yahoo.com/comics/pc-and-pixel#id=/comics/100121/cx_pcpixel_umedia/20102101
                Better link, just the cartoon itself, no fluff: http://tinyurl.com/yb7yhp3
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010
                  > Phone Number for Tech Weekend Jan 30-31.
                  >
                  > Call this number when you arrive for access:
                  >
                  > 302 295 2249 (this is the # of the 1st floor IP phone)
                  >
                  > 1. Pull up to 103 W. 7th and park, no meter/money needed.
                  > 2. Call
                  > 3. Someone will let you know where to park and how to load in from the
                  > back of the building.

                  Starting around what time?
                • Bill Degnan
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010

                    > > Call this number when you arrive for access:
                    > >
                    > > 302 295 2249 (this is the # of the 1st floor IP phone)
                    > >

                    > Starting around what time?

                    Start calling now.

                    I expect the first people to start arriving in the late morning?? I don't
                    know. I will be there some time between 9-11, unless someone says they
                    will be there definitely before 11, and in which case I will be there to
                    match the first person's arrival.

                    bd
                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010
                      On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

                      > I expect the first people to start arriving in the late morning?? I don't
                      > know. I will be there some time between 9-11, unless someone says they
                      > will be there definitely before 11, and in which case I will be there to
                      > match the first person's arrival.

                      I hope to arrive around 1:00 P.M. I'm bringing my IMSAI and drives,
                      along with a Televideo terminal to repair.

                      Who else is going?

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • Bill Degnan
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010

                        > I hope to arrive around 1:00 P.M. I'm bringing my IMSAI and drives,

                        > along with a Televideo terminal to repair.

                        Is this for CP/M prep? I may bring mine then too, I think Dan may be
                        bringing his IMSAI. I plan to start working on the machine that will be my
                        CP/M class machine.

                        I was also going to bring my Altair 8800b, because it's stable, and I have
                        a probably working I/O card (Dan is bringing 3 of my I/O cards) and boot
                        prom. I have already tested that the boot prom loads into memory, etc.
                        It's looking for an Altair SIO.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010
                          > Who else is going?

                          I'll probably get there around noon-ish .... just in time for lunch!
                        • Mike Loewen
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010
                            On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

                            > Is this for CP/M prep? I may bring mine then too, I think Dan may be
                            > bringing his IMSAI. I plan to start working on the machine that will be my
                            > CP/M class machine.

                            CP/M, yes. The machine itself works, but it's not talking to the
                            drives. If I get that working, I may take a whack at the 68K coprocessor
                            board and CP/M-68K.

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          • Dan Roganti
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010

                              ----- Mike Loewen wrote:
                              > On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:
                              >
                              > > Is this for CP/M prep?  I may bring mine then too, I think Dan may be
                              > > bringing his IMSAI.  I plan to start working on the machine that will be my
                              > > CP/M class machine.
                              >
                              >     CP/M, yes.  The machine itself works, but it's not talking to the
                              > drives.  If I get that working, I may take a whack at the 68K coprocessor
                              > board and CP/M-68K.

                              I will bring mine too. I like to finally fix my Z80 card. I can bring the Zapple Monitor Rom, we can build that and install it. I'll have my eprom burner station too.

                              But I finally
                              want to copy the Cutter Monitor Rom. Is that in a 2716 or 9216 ? I dont have an 9216 adapter yet, but I think I can make one there, it's a couple of pins.

                              I'll have your stuff too Bill.
                              Would you have an extra terminal there ?

                              I'll bring my equipment, tools and parts too.

                              =Dan

                            • Bill Degnan
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010
                                9216. I would love to help! Can we convert to a more common format like
                                1702's? My Processor Tech Prom card (used for Cutter) has a bad
                                compontent and the boot does not complete. After the data loads into
                                memory, gets stuck in a loop.
                                Bill

                                >I'll have my eprom burner station too.
                                >
                                > But I finally want to copy the Cutter Monitor Rom. Is that in a 2716 or
                                9216 ? I dont have an 9216 adapter yet, but I think I can make one there,
                                it's a couple of pins.

                                > I'll have your stuff too Bill.

                                awesome

                                > Would you have an extra terminal there ?

                                I will make sure I have at least one reliable terminal on hand, in addition
                                to my laptop with the terminal emulator.
                              • Dan Roganti
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010

                                  Bill Degnan wrote:
                                  9216.  I would love to help!  Can we convert to a more common format like
                                  1702's?   My Processor Tech Prom card (used for Cutter) has a bad
                                  compontent and the boot does not complete.  After the data loads into
                                  memory, gets stuck in a loop.

                                  Is the the GPM card ?
                                  The smallest that can use is a 2708. The card must be compatible with 2716 since the 9216 rom is wired on there for the same logic level on the chip select pins(that Rom is configurable at the manufacturer).

                                  Plus, I rather make a 2716, mainly because I don't have a 1702/2708 programmer(another To Do), it would too many 1702's to hold that monitor rom - jeesh- plus the 2716 is just the right size(not to big, not to small) and easy to get, and it's compatible with all 6116 ram cards.

                                  The loop problem sounds weird
                                  Are you sure the SIO card is ok?
                                  Do you at least get a prompt ?
                                  Sounds like it's going to be a looong wknd :)
                                  I think we better order in

                                  =Dan

                                • BDegnan
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 27, 2010
                                    Dan we don't have to try to fix the gpm, what I meant really is-can we transport the CUTTER prom image to any prom(s) as long as the end result is that cutter ends up in c000?
                                    bd

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010

                                      BDegnan wrote:
                                      Dan we don't have to try to fix the gpm, what I meant really is-can we transport the CUTTER prom image to any prom(s) as long as the end result is that cutter ends up in c000?
                                      bd

                                      oh yeah, no problem.

                                      =Dan

                                    • Bill Degnan
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010

                                        > BDegnan wrote:
                                        >
                                        > Dan
                                        > we don't have to try to fix the gpm, what I meant really is-can we
                                        > transport the CUTTER prom image to any prom(s) as long as the end
                                        > result is that cutter ends up in c000?
                                        >
                                        > bd
                                        >
                                        > oh yeah, no problem.

                                        Because if so, I can put CUTTER on one of these:
                                        http://vintagecomputer.net/MITS/S-100_cards/
                                        using 1702(s). The C000 address space is still open on this card.

                                        Bill
                                      • Dan Roganti
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010
                                          Mike,

                                          Can we make some foam pads too for the TRS80 Model II kybd ??

                                          =Dan
                                        • Mike Loewen
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010
                                            On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Dan Roganti wrote:

                                            > Can we make some foam pads too for the TRS80 Model II kybd ??

                                            If you can find some suitable foam, then yes. Our hobby shop closed up
                                            and I don't have any other local sources. I can bring the punch, rubber
                                            cement and mylar foil.

                                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                          • Bill Degnan
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010
                                              There is a Lowes near by, I thought you mentioned Lowes was where you got
                                              the foam the last time? I also have a Model II keyboard, but to my
                                              knowlege it's OK.
                                              Bill

                                              > > Can we make some foam pads too for the TRS80 Model II kybd ??
                                              >
                                              > If you can find some suitable foam, then yes. Our hobby shop closed
                                              up
                                              > and I don't have any other local sources. I can bring the punch, rubber

                                              > cement and mylar foil.
                                              >

                                              > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                                            • Dan Roganti
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010

                                                > On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Dan Roganti wrote:
                                                >
                                                > > Can we make some foam pads too for the TRS80 Model II kybd ??
                                                >
                                                > If you can find some suitable foam, then yes. Our hobby shop closed up
                                                > and I don't have any other local sources. I can bring the punch, rubber
                                                > cement and mylar foil.

                                                ok, I'll take a look aroun here, there's a bunch of hobby shops.
                                                I can't remember what should I look for again, and what thickness ?

                                                =Dan
                                              • Mike Loewen
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010
                                                  On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

                                                  > There is a Lowes near by, I thought you mentioned Lowes was where you got
                                                  > the foam the last time? I also have a Model II keyboard, but to my
                                                  > knowlege it's OK.

                                                  I couldn't find anything suitable at Lowe's, so I used 3mm track bed
                                                  from the local hobby shop.
                                                • Dan Roganti
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010

                                                    > I couldn't find anything suitable at Lowe's, so I used 3mm track bed
                                                    > from the local hobby shop.

                                                    oh ok, that should be easy to find.
                                                    I didn't remember it was so thin, 3 millimeters ?

                                                    =Dan
                                                  • Mike Loewen
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010
                                                      On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Dan Roganti wrote:

                                                      > oh ok, that should be easy to find.
                                                      > I didn't remember it was so thin, 3 millimeters ?

                                                      Sorry, brain-phart. It's 5mm (sort-of 3/16"), brand is Woodland
                                                      Scenics.

                                                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                                    • Dan Roganti
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010

                                                        > On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Dan Roganti wrote:
                                                        >
                                                        > > oh ok, that should be easy to find.
                                                        > > I didn't remember it was so thin, 3 millimeters ?
                                                        >
                                                        > Sorry, brain-phart. It's 5mm (sort-of 3/16"), brand is Woodland
                                                        > Scenics.

                                                        ok, I found it, there's some down the road from me at the local Hobby shop. I'll pickup a bunch.

                                                        =Dan
                                                      • Bill Degnan
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010
                                                          Dan,
                                                          If you buy some, I will pay you back for the amt needed to repair a
                                                          keyboard.
                                                          bd
                                                          > > I didn't remember it was so thin, 3 millimeters ?
                                                          >
                                                          > Sorry, brain-phart. It's 5mm (sort-of 3/16"), brand is Woodland
                                                          > Scenics.
                                                          >

                                                          > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                                                        • Dan Roganti
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010

                                                            > Dan,
                                                            > If you buy some, I will pay you back for the amt needed to repair a
                                                            > keyboard.

                                                            no problemo, just buy me lunch there :)

                                                            =Dan
                                                          • Bill Degnan
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010
                                                              OK

                                                              > > If you buy some, I will pay you back for the amt needed to repair a
                                                              > > keyboard.
                                                              >

                                                              > no problemo, just buy me lunch there :)
                                                              >
                                                              > =Dan

                                                            • Dan Roganti
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Jan 28, 2010

                                                                Dan Roganti wrote:

                                                                On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Dan Roganti wrote:

                                                                oh ok, that should be easy to find.
                                                                I didn't remember it was so thin, 3 millimeters ?

                                                                    Sorry, brain-phart.  It's 5mm (sort-of 3/16"), brand is Woodland
                                                                Scenics.

                                                                ok, I found it, there's some down the road from me at the local Hobby shop. I'll pickup a bunch.

                                                                =Dan

                                                                I picked up three sheets of this stuff. They're about 12" x 24" and it's the 5mm thickness.
                                                                This should be enough, in case anyone else needs to make some.

                                                                =Dan